DJ and the 1978 World Cup

1 hour ago, OneDavidCooper said:

Joe Jordan was a great player.

DJ confused the issue by whining on about he preferred to be a centre half.

And yes, Ally McCleod was a mong.

... and a certain Tom Forsyth played for scotland in that squad (along with Sandy Jardine) the othe centre half being Gordon McQueen - Jordon and Dalgleish up front - not that surprised he didn’t play but at least was there in a 22 man squad - I remember big tam almost scoring against Holland - great squad at the time - the Manager - meh! 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was DJ not one of the players that allegedly scaled a fence around the training camp to go on the piss? Vague recollection so not sure.

Shame he never played, could score with either foot and brilliant in the air. A different manager might have seen a different outcome in that tournament.

11 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

Different type of player to Dalglish and at the time was every bit as good as Jordan and he was quality at CH too. The manager was a mug......

Sorry sir but much as I liked DJ and think he was underrated he was nowhere neR the class of joe Jordan, one of the few players to have scored in 3 World Cup finals. Class player and class guy

3 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

Sorry sir but much as I liked DJ and think he was underrated he was nowhere neR the class of joe Jordan, one of the few players to have scored in 3 World Cup finals. Class player and class guy

Never said he wasn't , but Johnstone was every bit as good and it was a disgrace he never played.

7 hours ago, harlands plater said:

MacLeod was a clown, looking back it’s unbelievable how the nation fell for his pish. Although when you think of what almost happened in the referendum a couple of years ago, maybe not so unbelievable.

The hype was unbelievable and that clown was responsible for most of it,if Willie Ormond had remained in charge I'm sure his more pragmatic approach would have served us far better.

His header against Wales was one of the best I've ever seen and I also couldn't understand at the time why he didn't play in Argentina.

However in the mid eighties a mate of mine was going out with the daughter of a retired pro and I remember talking to him about it.   Now tbf he was pretty friendly with McLeod so this is just one side of the story.  Anyway, he told me that when they reached Argentina DJ just treated it like a holiday camp - on the piss, weight ballooned and basically just wasn't fit.

As I said earlier in the thread McLeod found it hard to talk positively about DJ before the competition,  I've no idea why,  so it wasn't a surprise that he never got a chance although the big man was on fire at the time, no disrespect to Jordan. 

5 hours ago, AlCapone said:

Jordan was faster, more aggresive and more dedicated than DJ but technically DJ had more ability imo. DJ liked a pint and played in every position which never helped him but he was two footed , ice cool in front of goal and the best header of a ball I've ever seen. He maybe didn't get the maximum from his abilities but he had a great career and was a total footballer with  pace the only thing he lacked. Gordon Smith often says DJ would have been Rangers all time top scorer by a mile if he had stuck to CF. Your complimentary to DJ but to say he wasn't in the same class as Jordan is a little harsh imo.

2 hours ago, ianferguson said:

Jordan was faster, more aggresive and more dedicated than DJ but technically DJ had more ability imo. DJ liked a pint and played in every position which never helped him but he was two footed , ice cool in front of goal and the best header of a ball I've ever seen. He maybe didn't get the maximum from his abilities but he had a great career and was a total footballer with  pace the only thing he lacked. Gordon Smith often says DJ would have been Rangers all time top scorer by a mile if he had stuck to CF. Your complimentary to DJ but to say he wasn't in the same class as Jordan is a little harsh imo.

Sorry, but Joe Jordan was a vastly superior player to DJ. Played at the very top with Leeds United, Manchester United and AC Milan and played and scored in 3 world cups. During his spell at Manure, he was awesome. I had a mate playing for them at the time so saw a lot of Jordan's games for them and he was tremendous. 

25 minutes ago, OneDavidCooper said:

Sorry, but Joe Jordan was a vastly superior player to DJ. Played at the very top with Leeds United, Manchester United and AC Milan and played and scored in 3 world cups. During his spell at Manure, he was awesome. I had a mate playing for them at the time so saw a lot of Jordan's games for them and he was tremendous. 

Spot on post - apart from the ‘manure’ patter moment

manure?

D654CAD4-6A5D-4F2F-A435-A4266DEF6A98.gif

There was a short video post 1978 World Cup, some clips and footage set to a song of the time. They chose, not surprisingly, Don’t Cry For Me Argentina and when it got to the line “the answer was here all the time...”, they put up a picture of Souness, similarly overlooked by the moronic McLeod. Watched the debacle in the old Jean Armour at Crossmyloof, never forget it.

Ally McLeod was a balloon, he picked the wrong players in several games: no Souness  until the end. Joe Jordan was out of form in the lead up to the world cup, if I remember right, so DJ was in about the Home Championship games as he was in form. Jordan was a header of the ball and bullied defences, brilliant at it  but that was it. DJ gave you more options as an attacker, he could score with both feet and was a very good header of the ball. John Roberson was meant to feed Jordan but it never really happened. DJ would have given us more options up front. I was 17 at the time and even I knew Jordan was playing shite and being marked out of the games as the defenders would not let him get 2 paces for a jump. He scored against Peru, if I remember right, 1st game but then faded even in that game as the defenders worked him out. McLeod was a poor manager and did not use the resources of the best Scotland squad I can remember. If DJ was on the piss in Argentina then not getting a start is really down to him.

2 hours ago, OneDavidCooper said:

Joe made the most of his talents and had a great career as a fast , strong target man but DJ was a better all round footballer imo. Jordan was predominately left footed and not a prolific goalscorer. I'll concede Jordan's scottish caps proves him to be ahead of DJ as careers go but not vastly superior and i still maintain DJ was more gifted but less motivated.

1 hour ago, ianferguson said:

Joe made the most of his talents and had a great career as a fast , strong target man but DJ was a better all round footballer imo. Jordan was predominately left footed and not a prolific goalscorer. I'll concede Jordan's scottish caps proves him to be ahead of DJ as careers go but not vastly superior and i still maintain DJ was more gifted but less motivated.

We will have to agree to disagree mate but I have enjoyed the debate and the memories. ?