Smile

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, heathen fish boy said:

My overwhelming memory of Mexico 86 is Maradonna v England but also that goal Vassili Rats scored can't mind who it was against though

Edit...France it was

Vasili Rats was a player we should have gone after at that time.  I remember watching him and hoping we could get him.

17 hours ago, William McBeath said:

I was only 6 when Mexico 86 happened but remember it well because it was a really good tournament. Maradona of course helped to make it that bit more special. What a player he was that year. Impossible to be any better. 

No I won' be supporting England come this world cup. There is a long sporting rivalry between different parts of the UK so I couldn' bring myself to actually support them. Many Scots actually want to split from Britain but I don't go that far and like the UK. I wish them well at the world cup but will just support whatever team catches my eye and plays the best football.

Yeah I know of Chivas. Seen them mentioned in books and videos many a time especially for passionate fans and the atmosphere at your big derby match. I never knew about the only Mexican signing policy. Here Rangers are traditionally associated with the protestant religion but get nothing but abuse from authorities and media because we used to favour protestant players. Even though it was always common for football clubs to have identities like Chivas or others like Athletico Bilbao in Spain, it is now frowned upon and so we get a lot of bad publicity because we favoured protestants. Very unfair in my opinion as many organisations were like this in the past and so it was traditional.

Agree with the rest of your post especially regarding Trump.

You in Mexico though tend to have as many great boxers in any given decade than we in Scotland have had in our entire history so I'd give a great deal for Scotland to have a Canelo let alone a Chavez, Marquez, Barrera, or a Morales :lol: The UK as a whole does pretty well and I support most of our guys but I'd love for more to come from Scotland itself. 

All the best mate and cheers for the replies :guiness:

Yes, surely México 86' has to be one of the best world cups in history, Maradona was a great player no doubt a total "maestro", i know comparisons in football aren't always fair, but I can't help to think that Pelé was a more complete footballer, i know the eternal discussion "who is the greatest", "this one is better", etc. 

The reason i asked about England at the world cup is because i was under the impression that some Scottish fans would be supporting them, mainly Rangers fans that are pro UK, i know there are football rivalries and all, but maybe i need to learn more about your rivalries and history, my bad. 

Yeah we are a bunch of passionate and proud fans (i think there is similarities with Rangers supporters in that regard ) there is a strong feeling of tradition and mexicanism (ithink i just made that word ?) that our biggest and most hated rivals don't have (club América or as we call them gallinas=hen, chickens, pollos=chickens, wilas=slang word for whores). Modern football have been slowly killing football traditions and is sad to see. The protestant trait is one of the things i like and find appealing about Rangers been Christian/protestant myself in a catholic country so i identify with that value, although we don't have that kind of strain between us as you have overthere.

If you like Canelo you can have him i could trade him to yo for Rose Leslie ?,  a redhead for a redhead, i hate that guy hahaha  and i love her since i watch her on game of thrones, sounds like a pretty good deal right? Haha 

All the best to you aswell.

8 hours ago, Inigo said:

Mexco 86 was the first World Cup I remember. Back in the days when Scotland made it to World Cups regularly, before we became shite.

Apologies for this in advance, but hearing this song (Scotland's official Mexico World Cup song) takes me back to be a kid and watching the Mexico WC. It's a terrible song obviously, but sometimes terrible songs feel good because they remind you of good times. Great times for Rangers on the footballing front because Graeme Souness was about to arrive after being at the Mexico WC...

Think that was my first Scotland strip too. Or was it the yellow away one?

Iñigo You don't have to apologize because i kind of liked the song ?, i must to confess that i have a soft spot for the 80's, Oh the terrible hair cuts!! 

Do you think Graeme Souness is the greatest of one of the greatest players in Scotland's history?  And more important do you think there will be a resurface of Scotland on the international level like back in those days?

18 minutes ago, AndoBien said:

Yes, surely México 86' has to be one of the best world cups in history, Maradona was a great player no doubt a total "maestro", i know comparisons in football aren't always fair, but I can't help to think that Pelé was a more complete footballer, i know the eternal discussion "who is the greatest", "this one is better", etc. 

The reason i asked about England at the world cup is because i was under the impression that some Scottish fans would be supporting them, mainly Rangers fans that are pro UK, i know there are football rivalries and all, but maybe i need to learn more about your rivalries and history, my bad. 

Yeah we are a bunch of passionate and proud fans (i think there is similarities with Rangers supporters in that regard ) there is a strong feeling of tradition and mexicanism (ithink i just made that word ?) that our biggest and most hated rivals don't have (club América or as we call them gallinas=hen, chickens, pollos=chickens, wilas=slang word for whores). Modern football have been slowly killing football traditions and is sad to see. The protestant trait is one of the things i like and find appealing about Rangers been Christian/protestant myself in a catholic country so i identify with that value, although we don't have that kind of strain between us as you have overthere.

If you like Canelo you can have him i could trade him to yo for Rose Leslie ?,  a redhead for a redhead, i hate that guy hahaha  and i love her since i watch her on game of thrones, sounds like a pretty good deal right? Haha 

All the best to you aswell.

Some will support England some won't mate

8 hours ago, AndoBien said:

Iñigo You don't have to apologize because i kind of liked the song ?, i must to confess that i have a soft spot for the 80's, Oh the terrible hair cuts!! 

Do you think Graeme Souness is the greatest of one of the greatest players in Scotland's history?  And more important do you think there will be a resurface of Scotland on the international level like back in those days?

Definitely one of the best. He had everything you'd want in a midfielder... hard as nails, great passer, could score goals and a great leader. Captained Liverpool to league champions and European Cup wins... sadly was past his best when he came to us, but we still saw some of his brilliance.

I don't know if we'll ever produce those kinds of players again, but Scotland should be able to compete with similar sized countries like Denmark and Sweden better than we do. I think our problem is that we don't have as much money to go into youth development as some countries do and we're a bit slow to embrace new ideas and attitudes in youth football. :headscratch:

I think we were punching well above our weight with that crop of players. Things change and we may not see their like again. Like David Wilkie Alan Wells or Jackie Stewart, they are once in a long lifetime really.  For our population and monetary situation, it is no surprise where we are now I suppose.

Agree with Souness being about our best ever. Like lots of that ilk, no header of a ball either. Never recall Zidane or Baxter heading much . Yet Brian Robson would go through a brick wall to head a goal. Different midfielders and their talents and style............all in the game.