Andy Halliday speaks

Smile

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murty seems to have a way about him that gets a performance out of players, albeit not consistently (yet) that hasn't been apparent since Walter retired, imo the returning players should be given a chance to see if they can respond in a similar way, AH has came back and into the team very easily and has let no one down, he may not be the most talented but cant fault his effort and if he can be focused in the right way can still be an asset, as Holt has been since his return to the side, neither will probably play when all fit but in this league both would be options off the bench against spfl fodder, esp Holt with his energy and desire.

1 minute ago, OneDavidCooper said:

How can people form views based on Friendlies? They are fucking meaningless.

You can only judge what's in front of you and so far Halliday, Goss and to an extent MOH have done well. What they've done previously is almost irrelevant. It's about the here and now. And make no mistake about it if they performed badly they would have been getting it tight.

We absolutely must not get carried away though. These two games don't mean a jot if they can't bring this into league and cup matches back home but from my point of view it's been a pleasantly surprising start to the year and so far it looks like we may have added a bit of depth and quality to a squad that look depleted towards the end of last year. We still have Jack, McCrorie, Dorrans, Wallace and Miller to add too.

I don't think many are suggesting we now have a team of world beaters but Florida has definitely been a worthwhile and successful exercise. The players must bring this back home. All will be forgotten in an instance the second any fuck up back home and the players, Halliday especially, will know this.

Just now, OneDavidCooper said:

Sorry  you can't base anything on friendlies. I'm pleased some are feeling more positive and and are now willing to give lads like Goss a chance but what has gone on in America is no more than glorified training in the sun.

You can only base what you see before your very eyes no matter how potentially misleading the circumstances may be. Goss being the perfect example. 6 career starts = shite. 2 promising friendly appearances = not quite as shite.

I agree about not getting carried away but at least you're dealing with an element of fact and it's an opinion you're able to form by yourself without someone else trying to cloud your judgement.

As I said though this means nothing if they can't reproduce this back home. If they can't we won't be shy in letting them know. Hopefully they can kick on.

Just now, OneDavidCooper said:

Which helps no one. 

To an extent I agree but within context and reason. If a player has a bad game or two IMO we shouldn't get on their backs and demand they never play again and launch personal and over the top abuse at them. As hard as it may be we need to show patience at times and be a little more objective. I realise that may not happen with everyone.

However if a player is consistently underperforming they deserve criticism, constructive criticism, and they need to be able to deal with that. If they can't they're in the wrong movie.

6 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

To an extent I agree but within context and reason. If a player has a bad game or two IMO we shouldn't get on their backs and demand they never play again and launch personal and over the top abuse at them. As hard as it may be we need to show patience at times and be a little more objective. I realise that may not happen with everyone.

However if a player is consistently underperforming they deserve criticism, constructive criticism, and they need to be able to deal with that. If they can't they're in the wrong movie.

Fans have every right to get on a players back if they are not performing, we are paying their wages and demand results. I am sure your boss at works judges you too.

On 09/01/2018 at 19:08, Smile said:

Gets a rougher time than Most Halliday don't get it at all.

Probably because a fair number of people simply don't rate him as a footballer good enough for Rangers.  Another reason is that a fair number like him simply because he is a Rangers fan and praise him for that rather than looking at his ability as a player.  That usually sets things off.

20 minutes ago, Malvern said:

Fans have every right to get on a players back if they are not performing, we are paying their wages and demand results. I am sure your boss at works judges you too.

Disagree. If they aren't giving their all fine. If they simply aren't good enough it isn't their fault and no amount of abuse will make any difference. Lots of times too the criticism is over the top. Especially from those clowns who watch on line whilst also typing their observations. Someone having an average game is derided as shite. Someone having a good game makes an error and suddenly they are a shite bag again. Player has a bad game = shitebag, does well next week and deserves a 3 year contract. Players with less than 10 starts and aged less than 19 years old makes a mistake or has an off day, written of and told get to fuck. A performance where we have to dig in and show character to get a result anyway is written off as fucking shite when it is nothing of the sort. We are where we are and if the calibre of player isn't good enough, don't have a go at the players. It isn't their fault. 

4 minutes ago, OneDavidCooper said:

Disagree. If they aren't giving their all fine. If they simply aren't good enough it isn't their fault and no amount of abuse will make any difference. Lots of times too the criticism is over the top. Especially from those clowns who watch on line whilst also typing their observations. Someone having an average game is derided as shite. Someone having a good game makes an error and suddenly they are a shite bag again. Player has a bad game = shitebag, does well next week and deserves a 3 year contract. Players with less than 10 starts and aged less than 19 years old makes a mistake or has an off day, written of and told get to fuck. A performance where we have to dig in and show character to get a result anyway is written off as fucking shite when it is nothing of the sort. We are where we are and if the calibre of player isn't good enough, don't have a go at the players. It isn't their fault. 

I am not even going to attempt to dissect your judgement on that, just assume I think your talking shit and we can move on.

On 09/01/2018 at 19:08, Smile said:

Gets a rougher time than Most Halliday don't get it at all.

In 35 years of going to Ibrox I’ve never know a guy get it as tight as he does, aye he’s not our most gifted player ever but fuck me he takes so undue shite, big jig was the same. Our support is brutal at times.