Pre Souness who were our English/Foreign signings?

pcbear

7 hours ago, harlands plater said:

Am I correct in saying Ian Ferguson scored twice that night? 

Yip two crackers as well, he was in the Walkabout Temple last season watching the tim game with the London bears, I think that game when we beat a superstar laden Inter 3-1 is right up there as one of my favourite games, we lost the first leg 3-0 so turning that around was near impossible but we gave it a right bash.

1 hour ago, pcbear said:

Yip two crackers as well, he was in the Walkabout Temple last season watching the tim game with the London bears, I think that game when we beat a superstar laden Inter 3-1 is right up there as one of my favourite games, we lost the first leg 3-0 so turning that around was near impossible but we gave it a right bash.

If that was in 1984 it was a great game.  John Mclelland played up front if I remember?

10 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

We had an Austrian GK called Karl Pekarna who played one first team game in a Glasgow Cup (could have been a Merchant’s Charity Cup) Semi Final in the very early 1900s.

Herbert Lock was an English GK who played over 200 times for us between the Wars.

Lock played for us between 1909 and 1920.   He worked in the shipyards I believe during WW1 and his appearances were restricted because of that.

2 hours ago, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

Never heard of Mohamed Latif, what’s his story? 

Wore the no.8 shirt in a 1-1 league draw with Hibs away at Easter Rd on 14th Sept 1935. Wore the no.7 shirt in a 3-0 defeat away to Falkirk in the Hugh Hamill benefit match on 30th April 1936. Latif never played for us again.

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

There is no record of Pekarna playing for us in that period.

Lock played for us between 1909 and 1920.   He worked in the shipyards I believe during WW1 and his appearances were restricted because of that.

My mistake it wasn’t a Cup it was in a Glasgow League match on 8/5/1905 against Queen’s Park.

Whether you count that as a first team game is I guess a judgement call but it was a pretty full strength line up. RS McColl, George Henderson, Finlay Speedie, and RC Hamilton all played that day.

8 hours ago, pcbear said:

Also one of my favourite games. Atmosphere was astonishing when it hit the crowd that we had the beating of them.

Pre-game, everyone expected a titanic gubbing considering they had Brady and Rummenigge running the show.

I also remember reading about some Danish lad we signed back in the 1920s. I think we spotted him on a tour we were on.

Can't remember his name now but he used to be really famous in Denmark as one of their first players to turn pro and play overseas. He had an autobiography published.

3 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

My mistake it wasn’t a Cup it was in a Glasgow League match on 8/5/1905 against Queen’s Park.

Whether you count that as a first team game is I guess a judgement call but it was a pretty full strength line up. RS McColl, George Henderson, Finlay Speedie, and RC Hamilton all played that day.

I missed the footnote about Pekarna who did play in a game as you have correctly noted.

1 hour ago, TheMotor said:

I also remember reading about some Danish lad we signed back in the 1920s. I think we spotted him on a tour we were on.

Can't remember his name now but he used to be really famous in Denmark as one of their first players to turn pro and play overseas. He had an autobiography published.

I mentioned Carl Hansen in a previous post, I think that is your man.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Hansen_(footballer)