Cyrille Regis

I remember when growing up late 70s and early 80s when west brom were one of the top teams in the country, it was mostly down to him  Cunningham and Brendan batson. It seemed that one or other of them were scoring a hat trick every week.They were some attacking unit. So sad that he should go at such a young age.

3 hours ago, cushynumber said:

he was a cracking player. The media are falling over themselves to portray the poor treatment of him by fans re his colour though. It was poor - but it was also 40 years ago.

Why wouldn't that be pretty prominent? It's kinda a massive part of his fame, life and newsworthiness.

The coverage has been thoroughly proper in relation to that. It was 40 years ago, but he's died now, and what normally happens when someone dies is you talk about things that were significant in their life. The most significant stuff in his, as far as public newsworthiness goes, happens to have been 40 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Why wouldn't that be pretty prominent? It's kinda a massive part of his fame, life and newsworthiness.

The coverage has been thoroughly proper in relation to that. It was 40 years ago, but he's died now, and what normally happens when someone dies is you talk about things that were significant in their life. The most significant stuff in his, as far as public newsworthiness goes, happens to have been 40 years ago.

fair enough.

1 minute ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Their silence when a Premiership player is accused of racism as opposed to a fan is deafening.

its not even that. Its people that have never met the man and barely heard of him suddenly eulogising his role of promoting black people in sport and painting him as a saint. Im not disputing his role in that, or what the man went through, its the rush of celebs to jump on the anti racist bandwagon that I find self-serving

Gabby Logan step forward.

15 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

however.....all the white modern journos jumping on the bandwagon today is fucking sickening.

Haven't read any of that so can't take you up on the argument I'm trying to provoke.

7 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

its not even that. Its people that have never met the man and barely heard of him suddenly eulogising his role of promoting black people in sport and painting him as a saint. Im not disputing his role in that, or what the man went through, its the rush of celebs to jump on the anti racist bandwagon that I find self-serving

Gabby Logan step forward.

It's a pretty one dimensional picture of a man who suffered terrible racism being portrayed today but my main memory of him is that of a cracking big centre forward and his legacy as a footballer is equally important to his legacy of being one of the first black players to play for England.

Just now, sandyinroyalblue said:

It's a pretty one dimensional picture of a man who suffered terrible racism being portrayed today but my main memory of him is that of a cracking big centre forward and his legacy as footballer is equally important to his legacy of one of the first black players to play for England.

I agree totally.

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

What year?  My first game when I was wee was against West Brom and I remember a big black player with dyed red or orange hair - was that him? Early eighties maybe?

First time I seen McCoist playing for Rangers was a friendly against West Brom at Ibrox in 1983,the Tennent Caledonian tournaments were mid to late 70s.