Murty Talks About Cummings

NeoGeo7

GRAEME MURTY can’t wait to get working with Jason Cummings – with the Ibrox gaffer believing the striker to be an asset both on and off the pitch.

Cummings joined Rangers yesterday on-loan until the end of the season from Nottingham Forest, with Murty being massively impressed with what he has seen so far from the former Hibernian attacker.

Speaking exclusively this morning to RangersTV, Murty said: “I’m very excited and I can’t wait to see what he’s got. I’ve obviously seen bits and pieces of him, loads of footage and loads of good things, and he has got a character I believe can handle playing at Ibrox.

“He is a confident guy and I can’t wait to get him in, get working with him and integrate him into the squad.

“He’s got a bit of an edge about him. He’s got that confidence and the swagger of a centre-forward who loves scoring goals.

He likes winding opponents up and I think the overriding sentiment is that if he is on your team you love him, and if not, he really winds you up.

“That is a good thing for us, but he also gives us a dynamic in the forward area. We have lots of options now, and hopefully, those people who are in the mix to go and get a starting position, or even a place on the bench, are going to push each other to higher heights. That is always the way it should be at a big club.

“You have to take people for who they are and realise every person can be an asset. For example, Jamie Murphy is a quieter kind of guy, but he brings a dynamic to the group and a different skillset to the group.

“So we are looking to have as varied attacking options as we can, and I think you saw in America, they were quite complimentary of each other in terms of the way they played – their styles etc., and Jamie setting up Alfredo for a goal is a good thing and his linking with Daniel Candeias is good.

“So we have different options, possibilities and permutations for our opposition to worry about.

“Jason’s record is good, and I believe he has scored eight goals against us which is a sign of his confidence and also his quality.

“But he knows what it’s about – he was desperate to come and that is another factor and a good sign.

“Everything I hear about him and everything I see about him shows and indicates a person who isn’t going to be fearful walking out at Ibrox or missing a chance.

“We need that kind of personality that is going to go again and again and again and be relentless because we want our players and our teams to be relentless.

“We want that to be part of our nature as both a team and as a club.”

Murty also sees Cummings adding real competition to his squad in the forward areas, and reckons his personality will be a benefit in getting the best out of his teammates.

The gaffer added: “I see lots of different possibilities. I see him playing as a one, as a two or from wide. He will push Alfredo and challenge him, and he will push and challenge Eduardo.

“He will also challenge those behind him to make sure the supply is right, and from what I’m led to believe, if the supply isn’t right then he won’t be shy in telling people!

“All managers like more, better players who are going to challenge and push on. You have to have it in your squad that if someone isn’t doing it, for whatever reason – it might just be it’s not their day – that someone is itching and chomping at the bit to get in to prove a point, and I think that’s a really, really good thing.

“We don’t want people playing in fear of their place, but they should relish the competition to go and prove their worth with every single chance they get.

“Every single opportunity they have to wear the shirt, they should go and maximise that opportunity as there are good people in the squad that are desperate to take that shirt off them.”

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Be good to see him along side Morelos, I think he's got something to prove and he might just push that little bit harder for us.

Interesting times ahead.

The worrying thing is our apparant need to play 4 2 3 1 formation... and choosing one or the other.

I dont care what formation we play as long as its got 2 up front. 1 7 2 formation works :)

5 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Have we had any indication yet that he will play up to with morelos?

Naw mate pretty sure we signed him to fill in at full-back when Tav and John are running about liked heedless chickens at the opposition bye-line