Stewart Regan.

Siam69

7 minutes ago, pcbear said:

The way that I was reading things yesterday made me think that he had already been appointed, I thought I had missed the announcement somewhere along the line.

Yep, Tom English was giving it the Scotland friendlies were done at O'Neill's behest, done deal stuff. 

5 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Scotland job is a poisoned chalice now,O'Neil is shrewd enough to realise this.

He certainly is. 

I've always maintained he wouldn't go to Scotland from us due to being astute enough to know his own worth, and too much integrity about him. He's a genuinely nice guy, who no doubt will go to a decent Club job at some stage. But I would have been shocked and disappointed if he had went to Scotland. 

the s.f.a have not got a clue listening to the radio the other day everyone except english said they had all their eggs in the one basket and as usual with them it has backfired

o neill had 2 yrs on his current contract plus a new 4yr deal at fAR BETTER MONEY than scotland were offering so it is not a surprise

looks like alec mcleish now

24 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Scotland job is a poisoned chalice now,O'Neil is shrewd enough to realise this.

Anyone could do the job and grind out some decent results... if they chose the best potential players instead of prima donna taigs, and ignoring Rangers affiliated players. 

Would also have to have the balls to tell the Tartan Army to stop booing Rangers playerd and grow up.

31 minutes ago, Shuggy said:

The SFA's Derek McInnes, except they don't have a caretaker to hand over to.

Looks like Big Eck to me.

I wonder if he was given a list of players with multi-national grannies and remarked "I wouldn't cap these cunts for Northern Ireland never mind Scotland".

Gordon McQueen giving it 'he only turned it down due to money, and there will be plenty more wanting to take it'. 

He actually was offered more money to stay with us, that Scotland offered, though they offered a large bonus scheme. 

I don't believe that it was Michael's primary motivation in turning Scotland down, but it is certainly another fuck up by Regan when he wouldn't/couldn't match what we were offering. Arrogance or stupidity, maybe both. 

They should invite McCoist to take the job.   They might not get a much improved team (could it be much worse?) but they'd sure get talked about a lot on the TV so the SFA profile would be raised.   Besides which, it might be a useful plank in whatever bridge building is still being attempted by the SFA.   And it'd give McCoist something else to talk about than speculating on whether Rangers fans would welcome Ashley back.   

Michael O'Neill: Northern Ireland manager turns down Scotland job

1 hour ago

From the sectionScotland

Sharethis page

Michael O'Neill was at Sunday's Scottish Cup meeting of Hearts and one of his former clubs, Hibernian

Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill has turned down the chance to replace Gordon Strachan as Scotland manager.

O'Neill, 48, had been the Scottish FA's preferred candidate for the role.

The former Brechin City and Shamrock Rovers boss said he had "given the matter a great deal of thought and consideration".

"It's a huge honour to be offered the position however I do not feel that this is the right opportunity for me at this moment in my career," he said.

"I would like to place on record my gratitude to the SFA for the very professional manner in which they conducted negotiations and I would also like to wish them every success for the future."

SFA 'naive' in pursuit of O'Neill - Stewart

SFA chief executive Stewart Regan said: "The process of identifying and recruiting a new Scotland national coach remains ongoing.

"The board of the Scottish FA appointed a sub-committee to oversee the recruitment process, compile a list of suitable candidates and ultimately make a recommendation. As part of that process, and in recognition of his work in taking Northern Ireland to UEFA Euro 2016, Michael O'Neill was identified as an obvious candidate for consideration.

"To that end, we requested permission to speak to Michael from the Irish Football Association, which was accepted. Michael and his advisers met our delegation in Edinburgh on Thursday and discussed all aspects of the role during a three-hour meeting.

"While this was a positive and cordial discussion, we respect Michael's decision to remain loyal to Northern Ireland, with whom he has enjoyed great success.

"We wish him well in his future endeavours and thank the Irish FA for their professionalism throughout. We now continue our recruitment process from the candidate list established by the selection committee, with a view to giving the new national coach ample time to prepare the squad for the Uefa Nations League."

Having led Northern Ireland to the last 16 at Euro 2016 and the World Cup play-offs, O'Neill has been offered an extended contract by the Irish Football Association. He is contracted until 2020 and the proposed new deal would run until 2024.

The Northern Irishman has had a long association with Scottish football after playing spells at Dundee United, Hibernian, Aberdeen and St Johnstone.

Strachan had a near five-year spell in charge of Scotland but could not lead the national team to their first major finals since the 1998 World Cup.

Craig Brown was in charge of that campaign and Berti Vogts, Walter Smith, Alex McLeish, George Burley and Craig Levein held the post before Strachan.

McLeish said in December becoming Scotland manager for the second time "would suit me very nicely".

SFA performance director Malky Mackay took charge of Scotland's senior team for the November friendly defeat by Netherlands and Scotland's next game will be at home to Costa Rica on 23 March.

Further friendlies follow against Hungary in Budapest (27 March), Peru in Lima (29 May) and an unconfirmed side preparing for this year's World Cup in Mexico City (2 June).

Scotland will then face their inaugural Nations League campaign in September, the draw for which takes place on Wednesday.

Analysis - BBC Scotland chief football reporter Chris McLaughlin

There's no way of looking at this in any other way than it being a huge blow for the SFA operationally and for their reputation. 

The Northern Ireland manager was absolutely their preferred candidate from day one and despite putting their biggest ever managerial financial package on the table, they failed to get their man. 

The reasons for that will be analysed internally but searching questions will also follow publicly when the SFA responds. 

Of course attention will now turn to a plan B, but it may well now be a tricky sell given the job has already been turned down. 

There's little reason to rush given the lack of upcoming meaningful games and it may well suit those at Hampden to let the dust settle on this saga first.

I honestly dont see why people pour vitriol on organisation or boards when a person turns down a job. They identified the candidate, they spoke to him - and he didn't want it. Its annoying for them - maybe a bit embarrassing - but what else are they to do? if you want someone who is any good he will have options - and so he may not do what you want.

The last thing you want is someone with no options, who isnt that good,  being offered the job and accepting - simply to save a boardroom from embarrassment.