Third Lanark documentary 27/01/2018 9pm

21 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

As I said, I'm not sure if it's Third Lanark who play there, but someone does. The pitch has/had its markings - centre circle, 18yr boxes etc... But it could be anyone who is using it. 

They share a ground in Tollcross. Can't remember the name of the club.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There’s a picture been featured on RM a few times from  a Rangers v Third Lanark game at Ibrox in the early 60s, I’m almost sure that was the first League game I ever attended. 

Re Cathkin, I have a memory of our bus parking on the site of it before the 1976 League Cup Final against the tarriers in 1976.

1 hour ago, doug morrison said:

Only time at Cathkin was sitting beside the goal just off the pitch because of the size of the crowd and Jimmy Miller fell over me trying to get on the end of a cross, happy days

I think you mean Jimmy M_I_L_L_A_R, get away with fuk all on this forum :dance:

Hey-ho welcome 

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Best pitch in Scotland in it's day supposedly. Why were they called the Hi Hi?

Third Lanark was known as Thirds, the Warriors, the Redcoats and the Hi Hi. The last nickname was rumoured to have started during a match in the late 1890s, when a defender kicked the ball so high out of the ground that the crowd started screaming "High High High" and that nickname stayed with the club ever since. The fans invariably started to sing "Hi Hi Hi!" as a battle cry to encourage the team to victory during the club's matches.[15] There was a public house called The Hi Hi Bar at the southern end of Crown Street in the Gorbals area of Glasgow, about one mile from the club's Cathkin Park stadium.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

The thing is, this is when Glasgow's population was almost double what it is now, so it could support 6 top teams (QP, us, Thirds, Clyde, Thistle and sellic). I wonder if the dilution of the population partly lead to the decline of Clyde, TL and QP. Obviously other big factors were at work, but it can't have helped. 

If celtic and their rancid support had their way only one club would be playing in  Glasgow

Should be a good programme, looking forward to it, I enjoy watching the old football clips.

This was my first away game, my father took me, it was a Friday night, 23rd April 1965 Rangers won 1-0 , Ralph Brand scored for us.

A few years later I played in the stadium in a boys club game.

Played on the Thirds pitch, must have been around 40 yrs ago now just for my pub team and the thing I remember most about it was it was fuckin' enormous, and was still in fairly good nick even though it had been abandoned for years, so as  inigo mentioned above it must have been some surface to play on in its heyday.

14 hours ago, Inigo said:

It was something along the lines of... Hiddleston was the manager as well as shareholder and director, got the sack and was chased, but returned a few years later having bought a whole bunch of shares such that he was the majority shareholder. He then got rid of most of the guys involved in the Board and purposely ran the club into the ground as some kind of weird act of revenge. Died before he could be brought to book for it the way some of the other less responsible directors were... that was more or less what happened.

Think the 40k crowds only really related to OF games and such, but they were still a good size club getting good crowds.

Is it strange I was thinking "David Murray" as I read that..................

12 hours ago, PolarBear1972 said:

Think I'll go tomorrow 

It’s definitely worth a walk around and standing at a few different areas of the old terracing. I love the fact they never flattened it, unusual for Glasgow city council.

2AA5D125-A07C-4C0E-8B00-967C637AE093.jpeg

13 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Where do they play games now?? Walked through Cathkin park the other week, looked pretty erie in the low winter sun.

Yeah , took my boys to see it just before kick off one of the times we were at Hampden . The terraces are still there and , as you say , a bit eerie but worth it just to stand in a bit of Scottish footballing history .

Copied most of this from a recent Daily Rhebel (Friends of :taig:) article to avoid them getting hits.

After all the help given to the cellic and the local community around porkheid Isn't it nice to see the Glasgow City Council getting involved in helping a south Glasgow football club to expand and investing in local area regeneration. :hmmm:

The backers behind reborn Third Lanark have revealed a £5million blueprint to breathe new life into one of Scotland’s fastest-growing communities.

The consortium are in talks over funding for the redevelopment of The Hi-Hi’s old Cathkin Park home.

Proposals include an all-weather pitch and floodlights at the ground in Glasgow ’s south side.

Directors of the project want the renovated stadium to be used for football and cricket – to tap into interest in both sports in nearby Govanhill.

Third Lanark AFC –currently top of the third division of the Greater Glasgow Amateur League –groundshare at Vale of Clyde’s Fullarton Park in Tollcross. But they hope the multi-million pound plan will boost their ambitions of re-entering the Scottish leagues.

Chairman Ian Alexander said: “We want to establish Third Lanark as a football and sporting club at the centre of the local community.

(:taig:alert)

“We’ve had meetings with Glasgow City Council regarding our proposals and they have been extremely positive. The plans for a five-phase development would initially cost about £250,000 for a basic infrastructure.

“It’s a five-year, £5million plan which would see a 2000-seater stand, smaller pitches and car parking built.

“We want to forge close links with Govanhill. It’s the most racially diverse part of Scotland with more than 40 nationalities within a square mile.”

Fellow director Pat McGeady – an uncle of former celtic star Aiden – said: “We’ve got a        supporters’ club, have launched a football academy and have big plans.”

Thirds chair Ian Alexander and vice chairman Pat McGeady oversee the project

JS116829652.jpg

Directors of Third Lanark AFC want to turn ground in Glasgow into a multi-sports arena.

JS116830564.jpg

I would assume there is no vested interest from the semi retired construction business man/Third Lanark director either.

http://www.alexanderprojects.co.uk/news/cathkin-park-third-lanark

10 hours ago, slimjim1690 said:

Played on the Thirds pitch, must have been around 40 yrs ago now just for my pub team and the thing I remember most about it was it was fuckin' enormous, and was still in fairly good nick even though it had been abandoned for years, so as  inigo mentioned above it must have been some surface to play on in its heyday.

wonder if that was the same game I played in there. would have been 75/76 as I moved down here in 77. cant remember who we played but as you say it was a big pitch. keepers needed a tail wind to hit half way with goal kicks. 

Don’t know much of the internal politics of the Thirds which seems to have led to their demise but do remember that, due to declining attendances, they were looking at relocating to the old Kelvin Stadium in East Kilbride in the early 60s.  Around same time Clyde also considered relocation to EK.  An opportunity wasted by both clubs considering  the population shift that was happening around that time imo.

3 hours ago, tannerall said:

Copied most of this from a recent Daily Rhebel (Friends of :taig:) article to avoid them getting hits.

After all the help given to the cellic and the local community around porkheid Isn't it nice to see the Glasgow City Council getting involved in helping a south Glasgow football club to expand and investing in local area regeneration. :hmmm:

The backers behind reborn Third Lanark have revealed a £5million blueprint to breathe new life into one of Scotland’s fastest-growing communities.

The consortium are in talks over funding for the redevelopment of The Hi-Hi’s old Cathkin Park home.

Proposals include an all-weather pitch and floodlights at the ground in Glasgow ’s south side.

Directors of the project want the renovated stadium to be used for football and cricket – to tap into interest in both sports in nearby Govanhill.

Third Lanark AFC –currently top of the third division of the Greater Glasgow Amateur League –groundshare at Vale of Clyde’s Fullarton Park in Tollcross. But they hope the multi-million pound plan will boost their ambitions of re-entering the Scottish leagues.

Chairman Ian Alexander said: “We want to establish Third Lanark as a football and sporting club at the centre of the local community.

“We’ve had meetings with Glasgow City Council regarding our proposals and they have been extremely positive. The plans for a five-phase development would initially cost about £250,000 for a basic infrastructure.

“It’s a five-year, £5million plan which would see a 2000-seater stand, smaller pitches and car parking built.

“We want to forge close links with Govanhill. It’s the most racially diverse part of Scotland with more than 40 nationalities within a square mile.”

Fellow director Pat McGeady – an uncle of former celtic star Aiden – said: “We’ve got a        supporters’ club, have launched a football academy and have big plans.”

Thirds chair Ian Alexander and vice chairman Pat McGeady oversee the project

JS116829652.jpg

Directors of Third Lanark AFC want to turn ground in Glasgow into a multi-sports arena.

JS116830564.jpg

I would assume there is no vested interest from the semi retired construction business man/Third Lanark director either.

http://www.alexanderprojects.co.uk/news/cathkin-park-third-lanark

Are they getting it for a £1 !  Agreed rheekin Bud !:tu:

4 hours ago, Mojo84 said:

It’s definitely worth a walk around and standing at a few different areas of the old terracing. I love the fact they never flattened it, unusual for Glasgow city council.

2AA5D125-A07C-4C0E-8B00-967C637AE093.jpeg

It's crazy looking at that photo realising the ground could hold up to 40,000 back in the day.