Third Lanark documentary 27/01/2018 9pm

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, devref said:

wonder if that was the same game I played in there. would have been 75/76 as I moved down here in 77. cant remember who we played but as you say it was a big pitch. keepers needed a tail wind to hit half way with goal kicks. 

My pub team was called Cedar Thistle if that rings any bells, unlikely but would be weird if it was.

4 hours ago, Mojo84 said:

It’s definitely worth a walk around and standing at a few different areas of the old terracing. I love the fact they never flattened it, unusual for Glasgow city council.

2AA5D125-A07C-4C0E-8B00-967C637AE093.jpeg

About ten years ago I walked around it with my Dad while it was snowing. Very eerie.

It was the site of the second Hampden Park for a while before QP moved to the current ground.

9 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

My pub team was called Cedar Thistle if that rings any bells, unlikely but would be weird if it was.

No bells rung mine was Kincaid we played outside the city at milton of campsie that ring a bell

2 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

PS - The Bears Den ? 

Yes because the OP has quoted our involvement with them for football reasons re offering the youth teams coaching advice and encouragement, and my post indicated it is yet another Glasgow City Council aided initiative to help finance fellow taigs and taig infested areas when investment and support for our club and the Ibrox neighbourhood has been non-existant. 

28 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Yes because the OP has quoted our involvement with them for football reasons re offering the youth teams coaching advice and encouragement, and my post indicated it is yet another Glasgow City Council aided initiative to help finance fellow taigs and taig infested areas when investment and support for our club and the Ibrox neighbourhood has been non-existant. 

Yes they've left the place desolate for nigh on 50 years without a tear and suddenly they want to develop it incorporating the many nationalities in neighbouring govanhell, awfy heartwarming isn't it, all for the community 50 years later. And another thing that area has holyrood sports centre and the Toryglen football centre nearby, the place is awash with sports centres all next door to one another plus there's lesser Hampden and Hampden ? Meanwhile back at Ibrox it's been abandoned ! As I said before rheekin ! No romance there for me, build affordable homes on what was cathkin and give OUR OWN homeless them ! 

Didn't take much to turn this into an anti-immigration issue, did it? ? Ffs.

Strange that we complain about lack facilities so often then find something to complain about when we have a lot of facilities in an area. 

Sounds like Thirds are trying to do something positive in the area. I for one hope they succeed for the benefit of folk like the OP and all the other good people in the area and the kids that are already benefiting from their work so far.

I went to visit it today on the back of this topic. My first time there and it was amazing to see. Standing there imagining the history on that ground. Quite sad as well. Nobody else was about which made it a unique experience.

Sadly, the road going into the park was through a scheme so I'm not sure if there is another entrance. I'm not too sure what the area would have been like previously. If there is a better entrance, then perhaps some development can restore the club and stadium. So weird to see the leaning bannisters in amongst trees.

It is near Hampden but hopefully that dump will be knocked down. 

Here are some pictures I took.

20180127_162125.jpg

7 minutes ago, Rambo1872 said:

Surprised wee Burnie hasn't tried to get a roma gypo team together to show the spirit of the eastern european invasion of nearby Govanhill and use taxpayers dosh to fund it

This initiative is already happening in various districts and no doubt it will happen here as well!

7 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Looks like someone has painted those. And someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but are they not called anti-cruch barriers? 

And aye, there's another entrance, but its on to a main road. 

Did they used to be plain white? I did think green was a weird colour.

43 minutes ago, PolarBear1972 said:

I suspect green and white was painted by the guy running the Jimmy Johnstone academy though can’t be proved who play some games there. He has no respect for the history of Third Lanark and if he had his way would probably have the whole park painted green and white, he complained to the council that the barriers were red (Third Lanark colours)

1 hour ago, PolarBear1972 said:

I have no idea. They never had any paint on them at all when I went there. 

I recorded that documentary and have just finished watching it. Very sad story :(  makes you wonder what kind of supports both us and the taigs would have today...

You obviously took my advice about going there as soon as you could. 

Did you enjoy it?