Fan base in Scotland.

Chineseboy

Do we have a bigger fan base in Scotland now than before we went to the lower leagues? The crowds certainly seem bigger, and I would say we vastly outnumber the scum in terms of support in Scotland. However, when I watched the New Years game in Edinburgh recently, I was surprised there were more taigs in the pub. Never used to be like that. Anyway, as I don't live in Scotland anymore, and haven't for many a year, I was just wondering what people's views were on this.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my anecdotal experience... we are considerably more supported in Scotland than they are. They certainly have a bigger support worldwide, but that's pribably boosted by people with tenuous Irish links that think sellic is part of that package (folk that would say they're sellic fans if asked but do nothing on a day to day basis to express it).

I also (again anecdotally) reckon we've lost a chunk of the middle classish type of supporter who have been persuaded by the discourse of the last 30 years that they don't want to be associated to some of the things that are attached to Rangers. I know one or two like that. Don't think sellic suffered so much with that probably because the 'drip, drip' of disgust and negativity was never quite the same around their 'cultural' songs. Might be other cultural aspects to that too.

Imo as adults we're more aware of what we could have lost, and as a result will continue to sell out grounds and STs. 

My big worry is the kids that haven't really experienced a winning Rangers, can't get the strips etc, don't enjoy what they see on the park. We could lose a generation.

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I also (again anecdotally) reckon we've lost a chunk of the middle classish type of supporter who have been persuaded by the discourse of the last 30 years that they don't want to be associated to some of the things that are attached to Rangers. I know one or two like that. Don't think sellic suffered so much with that probably because the 'drip, drip' of disgust and negativity was never quite the same around their 'cultural' songs. Might be other cultural aspects to that too.

Not only their cultural songs but the institutional and media suppression of the largest and most disgusting scandal in the history of sport in the UK.

i notice it now on twitter. if a 3rd party produces a pool that says retweet for rangers, like for cellic - the retweets are always about 4 times the likes. it's hardly foolproof, but it's a decent indication.

20 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Imo as adults we're more aware of what we could have lost, and as a result will continue to sell out grounds and STs. 

My big worry is the kids that haven't really experienced a winning Rangers, can't get the strips etc, don't enjoy what they see on the park. We could lose a generation.

theres no chance of that. i did think it a while back, but looking at the reaction of my boys and their mates, they have rallied round. We wont be losing anything.

32 minutes ago, Inigo said:

From my anecdotal experience... we are considerably more supported in Scotland than they are. They certainly have a bigger support worldwide, but that's pribably boosted by people with tenuous Irish links that think sellic is part of that package (folk that would say they're sellic fans if asked but do nothing on a day to day basis to express it).

Basically agree with everything you've said. I have seen the so-called "educated" move away from us, on the points you've noted. Like the supporters of other teams are EXACTLY the same!

But I will be more blunt than you regards cultural aspects - the RC thing, and who your average RC supports, is as strong as ever. Utterly sectarian, but never called out for what it is.

We are losing support amongst youngsters. Kids who maybe do not come from big Rangers families but growing up in traditional Rangers areas.

I asked my 10yr old nephew who the biggest teams were in his school year - Manchester Utd and Celtic were his answers.

When I went to the same primary school 25yrs ago, there were just a handful of boys that followed football and didn't support Rangers.

His answer was of big concern to me, because that is a school serving a fairly rural/middle class area, that should be at least 70% Rangers.

I'm pretty sure we have the biggest support by far in the country. we have a sizable amount of fans who don't shout from the rafters who their team is but when the chips are down they are bears 

I stay in the falkirk Stirling area and there has been a slight increase in taig apparel over the years. but taigs are more vocal and love to wear ra hoops in situations bears wear more appropriate clothes 

I also work all over Scotland regularly and have also noticed more taig tops in the east and up north than say 20yr ago 

my wee man is 7 and because of living in a more rural area his school is mixed but in his class despite enjoying little success in his time all boys bar 1 are bears .he himself isn't a massive footy fan .he will watch games against the filth but not against killie etc .however iv taken him to a few games and he loves it there and despises the filth 

I don't get to as many games as I used to either but iv noticed a shift in the support too .far more moderate fans go now than when I went in my teens and 20s 

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

We are losing support amongst youngsters. Kids who maybe do not come from big Rangers families but growing up in traditional Rangers areas.

I asked my 10yr old nephew who the biggest teams were in his school year - Manchester Utd and celtic were his answers.

When I went to the same primary school 25yrs ago, there were a handful of boys that followed football and didn't support Rangers.

His answer was of big concern to me.

Think folk underestimate this.

For many kids it's all about the CL teams. Ask them their team on Fifa and it'll often be one of them. My own kids will watch us on the tv but look forward to CL games.

They still say Rangers are their team but don't really get excited if i say they're off to Ibrox the way I used to feel like it was better than Xmas.

The strips are a huge thing too. Barcelona or Madrid everywhere. Bheasts too. At a kids fitba party a Rangers one is few and far between other than on my two.

We're losing the battle for future generations imo.

3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

For many kids it's all about the CL teams. Ask them their team on Fifa and it'll often be one of them. My own kids will watch us on the tv but look forward to CL games.

They still say Rangers are their team but don't really get excited if i say they're off to Ibrox the way I used to feel like it was better than Xmas.

The strips are a huge thing too. Barcelona or Madrid everywhere. Bheasts too. At a kids fitba party a Rangers one is few and far between other than on my two.

Doesn’t help when their Mums & Dads are getting told not to buy them a Rangers top. 

We generally do not go out in our Rangers tops (even before the boycott) as it is not our only set of clothes, the filth walk around everywhere with their shite on as they have nothing better it would seem.

It is why I always take a Rangers top on holiday, rarely wear it until I see some paddie wank with their top on then nip back to the room and pop my top on, winds them up something chronic in most cases.

9 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Another nephew had a football party 6 years ago.

20-25 wee boys, from a non dom school in Ayrshire, nearly all decked in football kits..... not a single rangers top. This was before the Sports Direct boycott, btw.

That would be unthinkable 10-20yrs ago.

Barca, Madrid, Man Utd and Chelsea were the big teams it seemed.

32 minutes ago, Badger said:

I asked my 10yr old nephew who the biggest teams were in his school year - Manchester Utd and celtic were his answers.

When I went to the same primary school 25yrs ago, there were just a handful of boys that followed football and didn't support Rangers.

His answer was of big concern to me, because that is a school serving a fairly rural/middle class area, that should be at least 70% Rangers.

I seen a stat a fee years back and in Glasgow, Rangers and they cunts strips weren't in the top 5 selling kits.

3 English and 2 Spanish were above them. That's crazy