Fan base in Scotland.

Chineseboy

Just now, Rfc52 said:

I seen a stat a fee years back and in Glasgow, Rangers and they cunts strips weren't in the top 5 selling kits.

3 English and 2 Spanish were above them. That's crazy 

I can believe that. Just driving about - seeing kids having a kick about. Nearly always a big Euro or English teams top they wear.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Another general observation. Football is slowly losing passionate popularity. It still maintains casual popularity.

Yeah was thinking that too. Also, previously many would have worked all week and then gone to the football on a Saturday pm. Tv fixture planning / fixture changes plus many folk working shift patterns at weekends can make attending games trickier and effectively costlier if you have a ST.

5 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Yeah was thinking that too. Also, previously many would have worked all week and then gone to the football on a Saturday pm. Tv fixture planning / fixture changes plus many folk working shift patterns at weekends can make attending games trickier and effectively costlier if you have a ST.

I blame the tabloid 'celeb' image of things as well.

Football has, to a point, became tacky. Being seen as a football supporter carries a degree of toxicity.

Showing support publically for a bigger club, would generally be percieved negatively by society. Although, support for a small local team, would be largely positive.

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

From 18 to around 22 I missed 4 games iirc and 7 games abroad. 

In the last 7 years you'll be lucky if I've made 80 games. Work and life change sadly. 

On call/shifts/overtime etc all come.into it.

Still got the STs but I've missed both Aberdeen games, hearts, Motherwell, thistle etc already this season. 

Rangers went from the only thing that mattered to about the 4th moat important thing for me in around 2006/7.

Albeit in 06 to 08 I only missed 5 games. 

Things change for lots of guys but hopefully i can get back to making all home games next season 

Just now, Rfc52 said:

In the last 7 years you'll be lucky if I've made 80 games. Work and life change sadly. 

Still got the STs but I've missed both Aberdeen games, hearts, Motherwell, thistle etc already this season. 

Rangers went from the only thing that mattered to about the 4th moat important thing for me in around 2006/7.

Things change for lots of guys but hopefully i can get back to making all home games next season 

Part time cunt.

18 minutes ago, Badger said:

We are losing support amongst youngsters. Kids who maybe do not come from big Rangers families but growing up in traditional Rangers areas.

I asked my 10yr old nephew who the biggest teams were in his school year - Manchester Utd and celtic were his answers.

When I went to the same primary school 25yrs ago, there were just a handful of boys that followed football and didn't support Rangers.

His answer was of big concern to me, because that is a school serving a fairly rural/middle class area, that should be at least 70% Rangers.

This is a massive issue IMO! Seeing a kid in a Rangers top is very rare these days. The tarriers seem to think 'your grandchildren will all support celtic'. This is something the club and fans need to look into in order to bring through the next generation of supporters. There has been a definite campaign in trying to destroy our brand and it's something we need to work on. Not sure if it's an indication but they have 4 times more Twitter followers than us and over half a million more Facebook followers. In Scotland at this point in time it definitely feels at times that they have a bigger support - it's certainly more visible.

They have built their brand well.  

I note the comments about football being perceived as tacky by the middle classes but this is where many of our potential future followers are.  

The problem is that fan base is important but our insistence e.g. On the Billy Boys narrows our appeal.

We need to recognise that society is moving like a train in relation to equality and diversity and tolerance. 

I would say no.

Attendances are up but that's not a true reflection, kids just aren't interested in the Scottish game as much as they used to be (football in general really)  and the eradication of a religious divide has made affiliation to a club for religious reasons an aside.

In the 90's kids would be out playing football everywhere with their teams colours on display, now your lucky if they can find a set of goals to have a kickabout.

44 minutes ago, B1872 said:

This is a massive issue IMO! Seeing a kid in a Rangers top is very rare these days. The tarriers seem to think 'your grandchildren will all support celtic'. This is something the club and fans need to look into in order to bring through the next generation of supporters. There has been a definite campaign in trying to destroy our brand and it's something we need to work on. Not sure if it's an indication but they have 4 times more Twitter followers than us and over half a million more Facebook followers. In Scotland at this point in time it definitely feels at times that they have a bigger support - it's certainly more visible.

My wee grandaughter wears her top to play in quite a lot. Her pals aren't really interested in football and to be honest neither is she. She wears it cos she likes it and grandpa bought it for her but if you ask her her team her answer is The Rangers. We are the people.

Don't think you can use what football tops kids wear as a measure of levels of support. Kids will go with the wind on who they support and will usually buy the tops of who they see as the best team at that time. Hence all the Barcelona and PSG tops you see everywhere, Arsenal were much in evidence a few year back but since they are not seen as winners anymore their tops are hardly spotted now.I don't think we are going to see hundreds of thousands heading from Scotland over to Barcelona or Paris every other weekend in 10 years time. When boys get to a certain age they will want to start going to football  with their mates and that's when they get hooked and truly start supporting a team. I thought a few year back under ally that we were in danger of losing a generation, boycotts were onand the football was shocking, the experience of going to Rangers games was a bleak one,i thought why would any young lad want to spend money on this? over the last few year though  I have been encouraged with the proportion of young people who are going, particularly to away games. Fair play to them .

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Outside of Scotland our support is shrinking quite significantly 

I am not sure about that, mate. When I talk to people in the countries I have visited, many are pretty knowledgeable about the financial situation we had and as a result there is a lot more knowledge about us in general. It thus follows that many have a liking for us due to the horrendous time we had. This brings me on to fans of clubs in Scotland: there is a far greater level of hatred towards us now because we didn't die.  Furthermore, many fans of other clubs have taken up a liking towards the scum as a result, where as before many probably had more of a liking towards us..if they had to choose. This is quite incredible, as I know of no country in the world where fans of another club would actively want another club to go out of business. The scum have played a big part in this, and have somehow- God knows how- managed to become the " good" guys in all of this.  A very Scottish problem it seems. As a result, the scum have managed to drag Scottish football down to a pathetic level, but this seems to have gone almost unnoticed by other fans, many of whom I now view as scum fans, despite wearing a different teams coulours.  It is brainwashing on a massive scale in this country, with the media the main instigators. 

If it wasn't for Rangers, then there would be almost zero interest in the game north of the border. Fans of other clubs know this, and this is probably why many are so bitter that we didn't go out of business.  And being the biggest and most successful club just adds fuel for the fire of hate.

2 hours ago, Gaffbear said:

We seem to have gained alot more outside Scotland but after the SNPs failed independence referendum I've known a couple if Thistle fans that support the taigs now as they see them as the yes team . Pathetic isn't strong enough a word .

True. The Indy ref has had an impact. It actually pisses me off when people abroad say sorry about the Indy result when they learn I am from Scotland. I remind them that 55% were proud to be British and Scottish.

I get the football top thing as well. When you think about it it’s scary just how little you see of us around Glasgow and the West especially. 

I think we’ve lost a lot of support worldwide the last few years as well. It’s all well and good seeing players that support us in their tops etc but these were players that supported us during one of our greatest ever periods. I was down in Nottingham in December and it was probably 60/40 in our favour but I’d say around 20 years ago it’d have been 80/20 easily across England. 

31 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I get the football top thing as well. When you think about it it’s scary just how little you see of us around Glasgow and the West especially. 

I think we’ve lost a lot of support worldwide the last few years as well. It’s all well and good seeing players that support us in their tops etc but these were players that supported us during one of our greatest ever periods. I was down in Nottingham in December and it was probably 60/40 in our favour but I’d say around 20 years ago it’d have been 80/20 easily across England. 

I work across the UK.

Joe Average knows nothing, and cares nothing, about Scottish football. Particularly true of the under 40s.

Whether this was different years ago, who knows. However, outside of the far North West and far North (plenty follow in Cumbia/North Lancashire).... I have met very few folk who care about us, them  or any Scottish team.

3 hours ago, gmcf said:

We've always had the bigger support . 

I think the boycott of strips over the last 5 years or so hasn't helped to show that , but I'm sure it will be more visible soon . 

This. 

Was in tenerife for that last scum game and they were far more "visible" than us something that looking back seems alien to me. I agree, for the reasons mentioned above this should change very soon and not a minute too soon imo. The quicker our presence is reestablished in this country the better for all concerned. 

2 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

I seen a stat a fee years back and in Glasgow, Rangers and they cunts strips weren't in the top 5 selling kits.

3 English and 2 Spanish were above them. That's crazy 

I can believe that because most kids whether you support either us or them will have a couple of English kits plus Real and / or Barca so it skews the numbers a bit. When I was a kid I had Barca, Real, Liverpool, United, Everton and Spurs off the top of my head that people had given to me, bought for by parents etc alongside the new Rangers tops nearly every year.

2 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

You going on Sunday mate?

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

I can believe that because most kids whether you support either us or them will have a couple of English kits plus Real and / or Barca so it skews the numbers a bit. When I was a kid I had Barca, Real, Liverpool, United, Everton and Spurs off the top of my head that people had given to me, bought for by parents etc alongside the new Rangers tops nearly every year.

Why din't you just ask him that when you quoted him the first time? :lol: :pipe:

Just now, Amokachi said:

The make up of Scotland’s population is changing rapidly & I hope the club are on top of this. 

The influx of migrants from eu & beyond is a massive opportunity to gain new fans.  

We have to be pro-active as a club & fanbase. 

No, the immigrants can support the immigrant team.

29 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Nope  :lol:

Had to sell my ticket mate