Fan base in Scotland.

Chineseboy

1 hour ago, Chineseboy said:

I am not sure about that, mate. When I talk to people in the countries I have visited, many are pretty knowledgeable about the financial situation we had and as a result there is a lot more knowledge about us in general. It thus follows that many have a liking for us due to the horrendous time we had. This brings me on to fans of clubs in Scotland: there is a far greater level of hatred towards us now because we didn't die.  Furthermore, many fans of other clubs have taken up a liking towards the scum as a result, where as before many probably had more of a liking towards us..if they had to choose. This is quite incredible, as I know of no country in the world where fans of another club would actively want another club to go out of business. The scum have played a big part in this, and have somehow- God knows how- managed to become the " good" guys in all of this.  A very Scottish problem it seems. As a result, the scum have managed to drag Scottish football down to a pathetic level, but this seems to have gone almost unnoticed by other fans, many of whom I now view as scum fans, despite wearing a different teams coulours.  It is brainwashing on a massive scale in this country, with the media the main instigators. 

If it wasn't for Rangers, then there would be almost zero interest in the game north of the border. Fans of other clubs know this, and this is probably why many are so bitter that we didn't go out of business.  And being the biggest and most successful club just adds fuel for the fire of hate.

Being from Northern Ireland I can tell you now that there isn’t as much interest in us as there used to be. There’s a massive difference between knowing about our financial struggle and supporting us. I’m 26 and I know a handful of people here that support us properly that are a similar age to me. Younger than me and below the age of 20 I can think of basically nobody that doesn’t just support an English club

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scottish football is fucking dead and I don’t blame any kid getting into the sport just supporting an English club nowadays. 

Regardless of what the taigs believe they’re dreadful to watch and all. Most non Scottish supporting football fans think they’re just as shite as the rest of Scottish football. I’ve never met anyone that’s said to me “Scottish football is piss but that celtic are a class club”

Just now, .Williamson. said:

Scottish football is fucking dead and I don’t blame any kid getting into the sport just supporting an English club nowadays. 

Regardless of what the taigs believe they’re dreadful to watch and all. Most non Scottish supporting football fans think they’re just as shite as the rest of Scottish football. I’ve never met anyone that’s said to me “Scottish football is piss but that celtic are a class club”

Politics and to a much lesser extent these days religion keeps Scottish football somewhat interesting and I'm being genuine there, without it there would be far less interest.

I’ve noticed more and more mhank strips in my area (in and around Bathgate) than I ever did when I was growing up. There were only ever a handful when I was growing up. I don’t know if it’s just glory hunters coming out the woodwork or what. 

I work in Edinburgh and I’ve also noticed that all of the Glaswegians  that work beside me are mhanks and it’s all the folk outwith Glasgow who are fellow Bears. Don’t know if that means anything.

Just now, Gustav said:

Politics and to a much lesser extent these days religion keeps Scottish football somewhat interesting and I'm being genuine there, without it there would be far less interest.

Been saying that for ages now mate. 

If the likes of BP9 got his way and we and the taigs removed our loyalist/republican support it would kill the interest in the clubs off altogether. Anyone that thinks even the support that travels from Northern Ireland alone on a weekly basis would continue is blinded at best

Just now, .Williamson. said:

Been saying that for ages now mate. 

If the likes of BP9 got his way and we and the taigs removed our loyalist/republican support it would kill the interest in the clubs off altogether. Anyone that thinks even the support that travels from Northern Ireland alone on a weekly basis would continue is blinded at best

They're in the minority thankfully.

5 hours ago, Inigo said:

From my anecdotal experience... we are considerably more supported in Scotland than they are. They certainly have a bigger support worldwide, but that's pribably boosted by people with tenuous Irish links that think sellic is part of that package (folk that would say they're sellic fans if asked but do nothing on a day to day basis to express it).

I also (again anecdotally) reckon we've lost a chunk of the middle classish type of supporter who have been persuaded by the discourse of the last 30 years that they don't want to be associated to some of the things that are attached to Rangers. I know one or two like that. Don't think sellic suffered so much with that probably because the 'drip, drip' of disgust and negativity was never quite the same around their 'cultural' songs. Might be other cultural aspects to that too.

The middle class celtic supporters are the most bitter and twisted of all. 

And often there are in positions where their maliciousness, inferiority complexes and bigotry can do damage.   

4 hours ago, MaddistonKnight said:

Basically agree with everything you've said. I have seen the so-called "educated" move away from us, on the points you've noted. Like the supporters of other teams are EXACTLY the same!

But I will be more blunt than you regards cultural aspects - the RC thing, and who your average RC supports, is as strong as ever. Utterly sectarian, but never called out for what it is.

The cycle is unending so long as educational apartheid exists in Scotland. 

Problem Is that Catholics still follow them as a matter of course, whereas the proportion of non Catholics that do the same with us seems to be decreasing. 

We shouldn't be complacent with this or we could sleepvwalk into there being one big team here.

The other worry is that with decreases in tensions in Ulster, folk might feel that an association with Rangers represents the past that they want to move away from.

The club needs to work hard at making us seem like part of Ulster's future, not just their past. We can't be complacent with that fanbase.

5 hours ago, gmcf said:

We've always had the bigger support . 

I think the boycott of strips over the last 5 years or so hasn't helped to show that , but I'm sure it will be more visible soon . 

Sell out crowds when we are still average at best .Says it all for me .

See these middle class wankers that don't support us now because of their disgusting snob attitude .We don't need them .

Please dont come back when we are winning things again  .Get yourself to fuck away because the Rangers weren't good enough for you in times of need.

13 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Sell out crowds when we are still average at best .Says it all for me .

See these middle class wankers that don't support us now because of their disgusting snob attitude .We don't need them .

Please dont come back when we are winning things again  .Get yourself to fuck away because the Rangers weren't good enough for you in times of need.

I'm not sure if it's the middle class wankers , but by far the biggest danger to our fan base is if we're winning , much more than any ' politics ' or anything else . Always has been . 

I can remember the crowds of about 20000 way back in the 80's and once Souness came it was unbelievable the amount of guys I knew , that hardly even talked to me about football , never mind Rangers , that suddenly were ST holders . They were known as the ' camel coat brigade ' iirc. 

Weve been lucky that we have had a steady amount of fans that renew no matter what , but you can see by the changes about you , every new season ,  that there is still an issue with guys expecting more and not renewing when that doesn't happen . 

Like you say , sell out crowds while we've been average is encouraging , but we have to step it up and not get complacent because one day you may find that the replacements won't cover those going if we don't find a way soon of winning trophies . 

3 hours ago, Inigo said:

Problem Is that Catholics still follow them as a matter of course, whereas the proportion of non Catholics that do the same with us seems to be decreasing. 

We shouldn't be complacent with this or we could sleepvwalk into there being one big team here.

I do rack my brains to think of anybody I know to be Scottish, Catholic, and not follow them, and I can't. 

Even people I know whom aren't into sport, would still identify with them, if not actively support them - certainly having an affinity to a stronger degree than somebody from another background that doesn't care much for sport.

It does seem to be a cultural thing there. Casual Celtic fans have, in my experience, always been more vocal outside of football about who they support than casual fans of other clubs.

Scottish football over here is dead as a DoDo outside loyalist and Republican areas.The town I live in is perceived to be huge loyalist /unionist stronghold but beside a few of the working class estates you will not see a Gers top now...the EPL engulfs everything over here .My father when he moved down from Belfast formed the 1st Rangers supporters club here in 1969 at one point in the 90s there were 3 now back to the original1...the glory hunters have gone,no lose really tbh,fuck them.Places like East Belfast and the Shankill have and always will be loyal to Rangers though,I think there were 11 supporters buses on the ferry for the last home game plus those who travelled by air.

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Where have you experienced a growth in support recently mate?

Thats a genuine question btw

In our club members with kids born down here bring them to watch games so it’s certainly not shrinking. I know a lot of football fans from Bristol and the vast majority prefer us over Nonce FC, I was in a bar in Vilamoura and 20 of us were belting out the 50p flute song and BJK. I think real football fans have finally woken up to Celtics poisonous politics and rightly despise them.