Fan base in Scotland.

Chineseboy

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, The Scunner said:

In a society that is becoming increasingly non-religious and more diverse, kids don't really want to be singing songs about religious battles from the 17th century.

Yes apparently so. The ones from the 1870's and 1916 are now extremely popular and contributed much to the 70 mil coffer.

We may be more diverse in nationalities, but I don't know any Prod's coming in from Rumania, Hungary and the like. All raging taigs chanting and singing their wee hearts out at Sunday mass to an accompaniant of beads rattling and sqealing altar bhoys..

31 minutes ago, The Scunner said:

In a society that is becoming increasingly non-religious and more diverse, kids don't really want to be singing songs about religious battles from the 17th century.

Flower of Scotland is ok though because it’s about a battle from the 14th century?

4 hours ago, The Scunner said:

Friends boy is a Rangers supporter, but mother refuses to let him wear a Rangers top when he's out playing because she's shit scared he's going to getting attacked by celtic fans. So he wears a Barca top or a Man Utd top instead. I'm sure there are probably loads of other parents out there who think the same, especially mothers.

More fool her.

I don't think we should underestimate the effect our demotion has had on the next generation of fans coming through.....if anything the crowds were galvanized in the lower divisions probably more to the elder breed of bear, the problem with the kids is purely football on tv.....the kids can watch whoever they want on a weekly basis.....after watching messi,ronaldo,hazard & neymar over the weekend it's hard trying to convince 6-10yr olds that Black, Boyd, Law & Daly are the future of Rangers......everyone thrives success for our club , we need to be competitive to give the next generation something to be proud of.

2 hours ago, The Scunner said:

Agree, but we live in a society where parents are shit scared just to let their kids out to play, nevermind dress them in something that might attract trouble. Maybe just a Glasgow thing though.

Never seen any wean being hit for having a Rangers top in my life ?

24 minutes ago, The Scunner said:

Must mean it's never happened then, just because you've never personally witnessed it. 

People kidnap wains, shouldn't let him leave the house.

Just now, They Gnu said:

I got butted on the face and called an orange bastard for wearing a Rangers bobble hat when I was about 8.

Oh.

I don't think this is that much of an issue. Glory hunters will come and go as they have done but you look with the last 6 years and see our support is nowhere near going away. I genuinely believe we have become stronger. Also worth noting that they were probably having these same discussions amongst themselves twenty odd years ago.

Kids running around in Scotland with English team tops is nothing new. Remember back in the 80s kids running around with Liverpool spurs and other tops. Living around Merseyside and lancashire for 20 odd years it's mainly Liverpool Everton and man Utd fans I have known and bar a few plastic Irish everyone likes Rangers it's myth they are liked down here in fact most hate them and know exactly what they stand for there is no big love in with Liverpool etc all in their tiny minds. 

Was a bit of a surprise when I first moved down here how many man u fans hate them.

27 minutes ago, barkie said:

Kids running around in Scotland with English team tops is nothing new. Remember back in the 80s kids running around with Liverpool spurs and other tops. Living around Merseyside and lancashire for 20 odd years it's mainly Liverpool Everton and man Utd fans I have known and bar a few plastic Irish everyone likes Rangers it's myth they are liked down here in fact most hate them and know exactly what they stand for there is no big love in with Liverpool etc all in their tiny minds. 

Was a bit of a surprise when I first moved down here how many man u fans hate them.

Spot on.  There was a friendly in Dublin a couple of years ago between celtic and Liverpool.  The ground was 80% Liverpool support which surprised a lot of people. Just shows that they are not as popular as they think even in the republic.

8 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Fair play. For the life of me I can’t see why they’d take an interest in us over an English club these days

I can, 50/60/70 m a player 100/200/300k a week, we are normal and the EPL is off the scale nuts.

I ve been at Ibrox regularly as a kid  with 7 - 11,000 inside for some games now its bursting at the seams, that's progess x loads.

8 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

The old folk are all Diehards at Ibrox and are instilling the traditions and heritage into their families which will carry on through the generations, you don't need to worry about things like that !

This is true.  If your not thinking about this every day,  take a long hard look at yourself.

45 minutes ago, andyhrfc said:

Spot on.  There was a friendly in Dublin a couple of years ago between celtic and Liverpool.  The ground was 80% Liverpool support which surprised a lot of people. Just shows that they are not as popular as they think even in the republic.

Played rugby with quite a few Irish boys over the years and none of them even remotely interested in celtic. All of them supported an English team, Man Utd, Liverpool, Leeds, etc. 

8 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

The old folk are all Diehards at Ibrox and are instilling the traditions and heritage into their families which will carry on through the generations, you don't need to worry about things like that !

This 100% we are not just "passing through" its in there and will be passed on.

On 09/02/2018 at 11:05, Badger said:

We are losing support amongst youngsters. Kids who maybe do not come from big Rangers families but growing up in traditional Rangers areas.

I asked my 10yr old nephew who the biggest teams were in his school year - Manchester Utd and celtic were his answers.

When I went to the same primary school 25yrs ago, there were just a handful of boys that followed football and didn't support Rangers.

His answer was of big concern to me, because that is a school serving a fairly rural/middle class area, that should be at least 70% Rangers.

My wee boy is 9 and him and all his mates support Rangers,Chelsea and Barcelona ?