Non big name players we've sold/let go that have made it big

King_gazza

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Smile said:

He was poor when at us a headless chicken Advocaat tried to covert him to right back he wasn't having it more a cult player that an actual player.

Went on to have an outstanding career though.

He was only 19 at the time though. new country, climate etc

I think if he'd settled after a couple of seasons then we'd have had a world class player at our disposal. 

2 minutes ago, King_gazza said:

He was only 19 at the time though. new country, climate etc

I think if he'd settled after a couple of seasons then we'd have had a world class player at our disposal. 

He would have been sent off more by the impartial referees than time spent on the pitch.

8 minutes ago, Smile said:

He would have been sent off more by the impartial referees than time spent on the pitch.

True, I reckon Smith would have got the best out of him.

Shame it was towards the end of his reign that Gattuso signed. Would have loved to have seen him wiping out Lego muncher in a OF game if he'd been around in those days. 

Arteta is the obvious one.

Tugay wasn't really appreciated until he left us, but I think he was rated before he arrived, so prob not right to include him.

McCormack could potentially be included purely on his transfer fees. I maintain that he was and always will be pish though.

10 minutes ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

Wracking my brains to think of one .... there have been very few I think over the years most players either peaked at Ibrox or found the level too high....even our very best players never moved on to big clubs elsewhere for different reasons....

True, in regards to our very best players not moving to bigger clubs then I'm shocked nobody came in for the likes of Numan, Klos etc

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Arteta is the obvious one.

Tugay wasn't really appreciated until he left us, but I think he was rated before he arrived, so prob not right to include him.

McCormack could potentially be included purely on his transfer fees. I maintain that he was and always will be pish though.

I thought Tugay was immense for us back in the day.

Was gutted when he left.

7 minutes ago, King_gazza said:

True, in regards to our very best players not moving to bigger clubs then I'm shocked nobody came in for the likes of Numan, Klos etc

Klos had a great contract remember reading at the time he was on like 25-40 grand a week do not know how true that was but he just sat it out picking up the money soured his time at us a bit for me.

15 minutes ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

Wracking my brains to think of one .... there have been very few I think over the years most players either peaked at Ibrox or found the level too high....even our very best players never moved on to big clubs elsewhere for different reasons....

our best times were probably the 90s and at that time Rangers was as big a Club as your Man Uniteds and other big clubs in Europe if not bigger, so our players wouldnt have needed to move. Many of our best players obviously loved it at Ibrox due to how long they stayed 

Very few go on to bigger and better things after leaving us but those that have are generally players who were good for us like Gio, Arteta, Tugay.

McCormack is a decent shout primarily based on transfer fees.

I guess Charlie Adam is reasonable shout. Wasn't a fans favourite but then went on to play a huge role in getting Blackpool promoted then had a pretty solid English Premier League career. I suppose it depends on what you regard as making it big but he's done more than most would have expected IMO especially when you consider he's probably never been what one would consider to be an athlete!

10 minutes ago, Smile said:

Klos had a great contract remember reading at the time he was on like 25-40 grand a week do not know how true that was but he just sat it out picking up the money soured his time at us a bit for me.

Was on 50k a week, came out when all the EBT stuff got released. 

Our highest paid player ever. 

10 minutes ago, Smile said:

According to Wiki he was on one of the largest wages in Europe so wouldn't surprise me if it was around the 40k mark.

It's a shame if it's true that he picked up injuries without being legitimately injured as it's tarnished the great reputation he built up. From keepers I've seen play in the flesh for us then he'd be 2nd behind Goram.

Just now, King_gazza said:

According to Wiki he was on one of the largest wages in Europe so wouldn't surprise me if it was around the 40k mark.

It's a shame if it's true that he picked up injuries without being legitimately injured as it's tarnished the great reputation he built up. From keepers I've seen play in the flesh for us then he'd be 2nd behind Goram.

As a shot-stopper, he was excellent as you say only Goram was at his level or Above.