Wilson Loaned to Dumbarton

NeoGeo7

https://Rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/wilson-makes-sons-loan-move/

DEVELOPMENT Squad defender Aidan Wilson has joined Dumbarton on an Emergency Loan.  

Wilson, a Scotland U19 International, has already featured three times for the Rangers first team.

He made his debut last May and featured most recently in the 2-1 win over Hibernian in December.

After featuring as an unused substitute again Fraserburgh last month he will now look to gain valuable first team experience in the Championship.

Decent move for him. Will certainly get tested with Dumbarton being 9th and unless we have an injury crisis of our own I doubt he’d have featured for us this term.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good signing for Dumbarton but I’ve yet to be convinced what good these loan moves actually do for our players - id rather see them stay with the unders and play in the European programe 

everyone always says “good move” in every thread about a youth getting loaned out but it never actually turns out to be a good move at all 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

good signing for Dumbarton but I’ve yet to be convinced what good these loan moves actually do for our players - id rather see them stay with the unders and play in the European programe 

everyone always says “good move” in every thread about a youth getting loaned out but it never actually turns out to be a good move at all 

I get where you coming from, KAI. It's how much game tjme he gets.that said the loan system worked for Allan McGregoe and Charlie Adam

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

It’s a good move because he’s playing first team football with and against men rather than with younger men/boys.

its good experience and it’s good for players to gain as much and as varied experiences as they can to put them in good stead for their careers.

7 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

I get where you coming from, KAI. It's how much game tjme he gets.that said the loan system worked for Allan McGregoe and Charlie Adam

It’s worked for 2 out of about 100

6 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

It’s a good move because he’s playing first team football with and against men rather than with younger men/boys.

its good experience and it’s good for players to gain as much and as varied experiences as they can to put them in good stead for their careers.

But it doesn’t? Based on every loan move at that level bar 2 

maybe Aiden will be the exception to the rule but as I said I’d rather develop them ourselves than put them out to the dregs of Scottish football and hope that playing against other lowly teams makes them Rangers class 

I don’t actually have loads of better alternatives but let’s not pretend this works either 

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

maybe Aiden will be the exception to the rule but as I said I’d rather develop them ourselves than put them out to the dregs of Scottish football and hope that playing against other lowly teams makes them Rangers class 

I don’t actually have loads of better alternatives but let’s not pretend this works either 

Most of the youth players dont make it. But game time (if he gets it) offers him the best chance to improve. Dont forget Ross McCrorie was on loan to Dumbarton this time last year! 

Just now, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Most of the youth players dont make it. But game time (if he gets it) offers him the best chance to improve. Dont forget Ross McCrorie was on loan to Dumbarton this time last year! 

And he was awful for them by all accounts he’s not shone until he’s started playing in our first team in all honesty 

25 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Charlie Adam is the last player I remember that came back from a loan and burst on the scene. 

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Had a similar discussion on here a few months back about how Ross McCrorie looks like a player who's been in the team for years whilst Barjonas (albeit different types of players) doesn't seem to have quite the same level of comfort and understanding that McCrorie showed almost immediately coming into the team.

Obviously part of that comes down to ability but one of the differences a poster cited between the two was that McCrorie spent time out on loan last season. I think he himself cited this as important when commentating during the Aberdeen game - but I guess it's something that works on a case by case basis really, it's not like there's tangible proof either way. It's maybe more that it prepares the better players who are going to make it anyway when they're on the fringes of the team.

18 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

On the flip side if he didn’t go on loan would he be in the first team or on the bench? Probably not.

Sadly it’s a slim chance that any of our lads will really “make it”. It’s why Chelsea buy so many youth hoping that one or two might make the grade and the others good enough to make a bit of a profit on.

McCrorie said that his loan to Dumbarton was the one that really made him feel more like a footballer, learned a lot and was ready to push for a place in our first team squad.

If it happens too often though it would appear the writing is on the wall e.g. Thompson, Hardie and Walsh being recent examples.

1 minute ago, McKissock said:

Had a similar discussion on here a few months back about how Ross McCrorie looks like a player who's been in the team for years whilst Barjonas (albeit different types of players) doesn't seem to have quite the same level of comfort and understanding that McCrorie showed almost immediately coming into the team.

Obviously part of that comes down to ability but one of the differences a poster cited between the two was that McCrorie spent time out on loan last season. I think he himself cited this as important when commentating during the Aberdeen game - but I guess it's something that works on a case by case basis really, it's not like there's tangible proof either way. It's maybe more that it prepares the better players who are going to make it anyway when they're on the fringes of the team.

I think the numbers/volume of players who don’t become Rangers players and/or drop out the game completely or end up playing lower league football is tangible proof enough that these moves aren’t good moves at all 

of course it’s a question of ability too but it the ability isn’t there, it doesn’t make it a good move either because it doesn’t make them better it just means they have a bit more experience In handling older players and playing competitive instead of unders football