Best midfield Rangers have ever had?

BlueBearz1990

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The midfield with Gascoigne and Laudrup even though they were the 2 best players I’ve seen in the flesh for us, they kinda carried the rest of the midfield as McCall, Ferguson, Steven, Durrant had all peaked ... although Albertz did come on the scene 

I think the best midfield for talent and options/versatility was without doubt Advocaats first couple of seasons with Albertz, Gio, Reyna, B.Ferguson, McCann and Tugay.

Gazza was the best midfielder we had, but for me the best one was the squad midfield of Ferguson, Van Bronckhorst, Albertz and Reyna. And I guess Tugay as well latterly, but he was a bit part during the best times.

I wouldn't describe Laudrup as a midfielder, personally.

3 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Anyone who says Barry Ferguson needs an education :duh:

Very good player for us, but obviously not the best, his sideways passing and constant moaning was annoying. 

Has to be Gazza/Souness for me

Anyone who says Sir Barry is correct

12 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Anyone who says Barry Ferguson needs an education :duh:

Very good player for us, but obviously not the best, his sideways passing and constant moaning was annoying. 

Has to be Gazza/Souness for me

Glad we have you here to educate us in that case.

A good place to start might be regaling us with your memories of the Gazza-Souness midfield partnership. :pipe:

Thread is just about done with the midfield in the 90s with Gazza, Laudrup, Ian Ferguson etc, but to add some depth to the thread...

Purely in the European games the UEFA cup finalists midfield with Brahim (I canny get a game domestically but I'm shit hot in Europe) Hemdani.

Here was the team in the final

Rangers-2008-formation.png

Eh apparently... I never made That up but I'm pretty sure the back 4 should be swapped about. Midfield is shit hot though.

Imagine a midfield 3 in our team now of Thomson, Hemdani and Ferguson. We would easily be winning this league.

2 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Thread is just about done with the midfield in the 90s with Gazza, Laudrup, Ian Ferguson etc, but to add some depth to the thread...

Purely in the European games the UEFA cup finalists midfield with Brahim (I canny get a game domestically but I'm shit hot in Europe) Hemdani.

Here was the team in the final

Rangers-2008-formation.png

Eh apparently... I never made That up but I'm pretty sure the back 4 should be swapped about. Midfield is shit hot though.

Imagine a midfield 3 in our team now of Thomson, Hemdani and Ferguson. We would easily be winning this league.

Hemdani was crap, he’d be hiding in these games - agree with Thomson and Ferguson tho 

6 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Glad we have you here to educate us in that case.

A good place to start might be regaling us with your memories of the Gazza-Souness midfield partnership. :pipe:

Barry was brilliant and I've mentioned him in my UEFA cup midfield above but I completely understand @Jack The Flipper when he criticises Barry's moaning at players. He held himself in such high standards that he expected it from everyone. Some players respond and some don't. I'm surprised Alan Hutton made it as a player at all due to his treatment from Barry. I remember in Hutton's early games Barry would Kenny Miller himself into right back and take the ball off Hutton several times per game.

Brilliant player but questionable whether his style of encouragement was a positive influence on younger players.

7 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Hemdani was crap, he’d be hiding in these games - agree with Thomson and Ferguson tho 

6 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Hemdani was a bit meh IMO. Decent enough but almost never game changing, never dominant. Comfortable on the ball but didn't do a heck of a lot with it. In Europe and domestically.

My memories of Hemdani are of a player who was very tidy on the ball and very rarely gave it away. He didn't do much going forward, granted, but we would never have made the UEFA cup final if we didn't have him in the team.

Hemdani was class and would stroll in to our midfield right now. You both are underestimating him IMO.