BlueBearz1990

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Heshootshescores said:

Stuart McCall and Ian Ferguson, not as individuals,  but as a midfield unit were very good. They dominated teams and then gave possession to more creative players. 

Its painful watching our midfielders getting bullied now having watched those guys. 

Yeah them in those years from 92 to 94 they were superb as you say they’d be the bullies, do the dirty work and ensure Huistra and Steven got on the ball to create 

9 hours ago, Inigo said:

Hemdani was a bit meh IMO. Decent enough but almost never game changing, never dominant. Comfortable on the ball but didn't do a heck of a lot with it. In Europe and domestically.

All Hemdai ever did was break up opposition attacks, keep possession and pass it to team mates. Fuck having someone like that in your team.?

The best i've seen is the second half of 1998/99 to the first half of 1999/00.

Normally McCann having a free role to play on the left wing drifting in behind the two strikers, supported by Van Bronckhurst Ferguson and Reyna - who tended to cover the right flank. A midfield so good that Albertz was not even first pick.

9 hours ago, ianferguson said:

Big Bates would have loved Barry because he would take the ball from him rather than turn his back forcing him to go long. 

Had a similar discussion with my mate during the Thistle game.

We used to moan at Barry for the 'my ball' actions, but god we need a player now to take some responsibility and do that. To be fair to Holt he runs about and offers an option but he keeps play ticking over rather than getting it, turning, looking up, and driving the team forward.

Gazza and Laudrup were probably the best midfielders we had yet in a strange way I thought they were more individuals than a midfield as a whole . I'm torn between Souness' first season with himself , D.Ferguson , Durrant with Cooper and McMinn on the wings and Advocaats first couple of seasons . 

Arguably the best football I gave seen us play where we played fast flowing football on the deck and the midfield played as a unit as opposed to relying on individual brilliance . If that makes sense . 

McDonald, Russell and McLean. The season we humbled the mighty Juventus, these three played 170 games between them. Russell, having just joined from Shettleston at 18 years of age, was the missing piece of the jigsaw. The connection between the other two was almost telepathic. Lost count of the number of goals we scored when Doddie ran beyond the forwards or at a quick free kick and he knew Wee Tam would find him. Then some guy called Cooper came along.....

9 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Barry Ferguson might be a bit of a clown these days with his ridiculous opinions in the media but anyone that says he was shite or boring know literally zero about football - from 1998 to 2003 he was a complete midfielder could pass, split defences, tackle, run with the ball and score.

when he came back in 2005 he was a different player though not a bad player but a different player but still a leader and a winner most of all.

Yeah , I'd agree with this . 

In his first stint there was a youthful ' gallousness ' about BF that made him one of the best midfielders we've had . I think on his return he played it a lot more safer , hence often the sideways pass . Call it maturity or learning from English football where possession is key , he was certainly a different player , maybe not quite as exciting but certainly more mature . 

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Had a similar discussion with my mate during the Thistle game.

We used to moan at Barry for the 'my ball' actions, but god we need a player now to take some responsibility and do that. To be fair to Holt he runs about and offers an option but he keeps play ticking over rather than getting it, turning, looking up, and driving the team forward.

I'm a big fan of McCrorie but he'll never be that holding midfielder imo as his ball retention is poor.

4 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

For Hutton read Namoichi, Adam, Burke etc etc 

thats why I’ve never been keen for Barry to return as a coach 

to answer the OP - the best I’ve seen would be a combo of Ferguson, Van Bronkhorst, Tugay, Reyna, Albertz 

Greig, Baxter, McMillan??

Russell, McDonald, Cooper?? 

Souness, Durranty, Ferguson??  

Sergeant Smith?

Rosemary?

Penry the mild mannered janitor?

50 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

I'm a big fan of McCrorie but he'll never be that holding midfielder imo as his ball retention is poor.

Yeah but I see him as more of a straight ball winner rather than a holding midfielder. 

Ideally in a 3 man midfield in a league like ours you want a passer, a tackler, and a runner. Can see us being not bad once Dorrans and McCrorie are fit again to fill the first two roles.

21 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Black, Aird and Law better than Russell, Durrant and Cooper.

Black had more international caps than Russell,.

Aird scored more international goals than Durrant.

And Cooper was never top scorer in a season.

spoken like a true anorak...........my poor eyes.

1 hour ago, gmcf said:

Yeah , I'd agree with this . 

In his first stint there was a youthful ' gallousness ' about BF that made him one of the best midfielders we've had . I think on his return he played it a lot more safer , hence often the sideways pass . Call it maturity or learning from English football where possession is key , he was certainly a different player , maybe not quite as exciting but certainly more mature . 

Barry was forced to change how he played through injury, he had a pelvic problem that stopped him tackling and and career threatening knee injury while at Blackburn.

The 9 in a row season (Albertz, Gascoigne, Ferguson, Miller, Laudrup) was pretty tasty.

I will always maintain that our midfield in the dark days of the early 80's (Cooper, Redford, Prytz, Bett, Russell) were a brilliant unit going forward if seriously iffy without the ball. Unfortunately, they had mostly mince in front of and behind them.

Laudrup was more a wide player than a midfielder I would say or it would be Laudrup.   I would probably go with the young Gio Van Bronckhorst.  He was some player and once he left us became a full back in a great Arsenal team with Viera and Petit before going to Barca and actually in the team while Larsson cooled the bench,  oh and he could whip in a great corner. 

3 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

:lol: what a crazy partnership that would have been, but i was simply naming a couple of midfielders that I, and would hope most held in higher regard than ferguson.

It would have. As I was typing my wide reply, I was also drooling at the thought of the partnership. Would have complemented one another well if they'd been around at the same time.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

It would have. As I was typing my wide reply, I was also drooling at the thought of the partnership. Would have complemented one another well if they'd been around at the same time.

I think Souness would have broke Gazza, no fucker was safe around him :p: