Jamie Murphy - thoughts so far?

graeme_4

Had a few games now to bed in, get up to speed and scored his first goal for us at the weekend (and a pretty decent goal it was too). That said, hasn’t exactly been spectacular for £1m+ signing (potentially). 

What’s the thoughts so far? 

Must admit I expected him to be better technically. Thought he’d offer much more. Seems to really struggle on his left foot, and when cutting in on the right his shooting hasn’t been great either. Seems a quiet nervous type of guy who’s a bit low on confidence. 

Still time though. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been thrown in when he hadnt kicked a ball all season so should be coming being match fit now. Final delivery has been poor.but i think he could be trying to hard we all know how much it means to him to be playing hopefully the goal yesterday gives him a bit of confidence and lets him relax and we get to see the benefits on the park

Not been impressed at all so far tbh, said at the time i would reserve judgement while the wankfest started because he played in England and only a £15 million pound signing was keeping him out the team in the BPL.

Sure he has worked hard, that's the least you could expect for a player living his dream and most supporters would work hard given that chance.

He needs to do so much more and stop over hitting his deliveries, as someone else just said it he could be trying too hard, he needs to relax and play his game and i think there's a chance he could come good.

2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Not been impressed at all so far tbh, said at the time i would reserve judgement while the wankfest started because he played in England and only a £15 million pound signing was keeping him out the team in the BPL.

Sure he has worked hard, that's the least you could expect for a player living his dream and most supporters would work hard given that chance.

He needs to do so much more and stop over hitting his deliveries, as someone else just said it he could be trying too hard, he needs to relax and play his game and i think there's a chance he could come good.

The air pressure is different in Scotland. Once he aclimatises he will be fine.

Looked better on the right yesterday.

Poor to average.

Cuts in on his right and overhits nearly every cross, or cuts in and runs all the way across the box taking too many touches even when he gets just enough time to shoot he wants an extra touch then loses it or gets closed down.

He doesn’t seem comfortable to hit the ball much with his left foot so when he does get by his guy on the outside he’s often taking more touches to get it onto his right foot.

Works hard overall and took his goal well yesterday but needs to improve quite a bit. Wouldn’t be spending £1m or whatever on him going by his showings so far.

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

The air pressure is different in Scotland. Once he aclimatises he will be fine.

Looked better on the right yesterday.

That wouldn't be hard, he was terrible on the left, show him onto his weak foot and he has practically nothing.

2 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

Uninspiring so far. Took his goal well yesterday and appreciate he's getting up to pace but he hasn't had the initial impact some on here thought he would. 

Knowing our luck he'll get an injury now and be out for 2 months.

During the first half i was actually wondering if we could maybe send him out on loan to Dumbarton or something to get him up to speed with things.

Not sure if we would be allowed to do that.

As I just said in another thread I think he's been good.

I can see comments start to linger in about him not being upto much which I don't agree with. We seem to do this as a support when it comes to genuinely talented players while guys like Papac, Hemdani, Sebo, Ryan Jack etc seem to have stardom despite being limited ability. 

I do think he needs to work on his end-product a little bit more tho but that will come. 

Murphy has a good attacking head on his shoulders. He's got good close control, touch, skill, pace, can cut inside with ease - he just needs to learn in our system when to release it a second earlier or have a pop but he'll improve that side of things. Just give him time. He'll be a right asset for us. 

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

That wouldn't be hard, he was terrible on the left, show him onto his weak foot and he has practically nothing.

Wont be the first one footed player we have had.

Took his goal really well. A bit of quality to pass it in rather than smack it.

He will do ok for us.

36 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Had a few games now to bed in, get up to speed and scored his first goal for us at the weekend (and a pretty decent goal it was too). That said, hasn’t exactly been spectacular for £1m+ signing (potentially). 

What’s the thoughts so far? 

Must admit I expected him to be better technically. Thought he’d offer much more. Seems to really struggle on his left foot, and when cutting in on the right his shooting hasn’t been great either. Seems a quiet nervous type of guy who’s a bit low on confidence. 

Still time though. 

I think he will come good now that he has scored his first goal, hopefully gives him a boost and he kicks on from here.

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

Wont be the first one footed player we have had.

Took his goal really well. A bit of quality to pass it in rather than smack it.

He will do ok for us.

Playing wide, teams will quickly suss him out, show him onto his weaker foot away from goal and he will struggle to hurt you.

I seen him likened to Sinclair at celtic, teams have pretty much sussed him and he has been a lot quieter this season, but yet he has still scored plenty goals and i just can't see Murphy providing the same goal threat.

I think he will be a decent player but don't see the point in a wankfest over a player just because they played in England, learned that lesson before.