Three foreigners. Great result.

Blue_Devil

With just 3 foreigners:

A former English striker who had recovered from serious injury. 

A journeyman from Norwich. 

And a Ukrainian / CIS / USSR international. 

The rest Scottish and managed by an internally promoted assistant coach. 

Amazing results - maybe, just maybe, we should focus on the best Scottish talent and forge it into a team again! 

4 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

With just 3 foreigners:

Amazing results - maybe, just maybe, we should focus on the best Scottish talent and forge it into a team again! 

There’s nowhere near the same standard of talent in the Scottish game for your last paragraph to work 

is there anyone Scottish or playing in Scotland that’s on a par with Goram, Robertson, Gough, Brown, Ferguson, McCall, Durrant or McCoist? No chance - the best Scottish player right now is probably Leigh Griffiths or some other fenian mutant - let that sink in 

nice idea but unworkable Scottish football is dire - let’s just have good scouting and buy top players 

We definteky need a core of homegown bears in our team who know what the score is. They in turn should guide the foreigners in our ranks.

Those foreigners should come from old Rangers players around the world who have their eyes and ears wide open to emerging local talent eg like JJ knew about Morelos. The encouraging thing is i think we are heading in the right direction 

6 minutes ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

Best Scottish players not at Rangers no order:

Burke, Ritchie, Cairney, Mcarthur, griffiths,tierney,forrest,Phillips, Robertson, Bridcutt,Snodgrass.

Not sure they would be par with the Scottish players we had back then. 

They’re nowhere near the calibre 

if that Burke can go for 13/14 million how much would Durrant at his peak have went for in this day and age for example 

I think the three foreigner rule cost us the European cup/champions league if I’m being honest.  

Don’t get me wrong we lost a great goalkeeper because of it and gained our greatest.  I still think it cost us though.

15 minutes ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

Burke, Ritchie, Cairney, Mcarthur, griffiths,tierney,forrest,Phillips, Robertson, Bridcutt,Snodgrass.

Chicken, egg paradox, are Scottish players NOW of a much poorer quality due to too many foreigners, or do we only sign foreigners because Scottish football is producing no (very little) talent?   

TBH not sure I know the answer but there appears to have been a major decrease in the size and quality of talent pool rolling off the Scottish football production line, the decline started in the 70's IMHO. 

You look at that team and remember how they just refused to be beaten.  They would fight to the death for each other too and had a goalkeeper who just defied belief at times. It really does make you laugh when the tarriers apply the word invincibles to their latest lot. If they were to play that Rangers team 10 times they wouldn't manage a single result. Absolutely no question about it. 

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

With just 3 foreigners:

McCoist's header for number two is one of the best goals I've ever seen.

One end to the other, great movement, great passing and diving header to finish. Magnificent.

What a team that was. Proper Rangers.

16 minutes ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

You're fucking at it. 

2 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

McCoist's header for number two is one of the best goals I've ever seen.

One end to the other, great movement, great passing and diving header to finish. Magnificent.

What a team that was. Proper Rangers.

Great night . Great goals . When will we ever see such legends, competing in monumental games like this again

9 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Chicken, egg paradox, are Scottish players NOW of a much poorer quality due to too many foreigners, or do we only sign foreigners because Scottish football is producing no (very little) talent?   

TBH not sure I know the answer but there appears to have been a major decrease in the size and quality of talent pool rolling off the Scottish football production line, the decline started in the 70's IMHO. 

I'm too young to remember when Scotland had quality players but looking back on their record, we still did extremely poorly at major tournaments.  

1 minute ago, eejay the dj said:

Great night . Great goals . When will we ever see such legends, competing in monumental games like this again

I really don't know but I live in hope that one day we will again.

If for no other reason than I was too young to drink at that time but I'd know how to celebrate properly next time ???

2 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

I really don't know but I live in hope that one day we will again.

If for no other reason than I was too young to drink at that time but I'd know how to celebrate properly next time ???

Not many expected us to go to Manchester.. you just never know.

18 minutes ago, Gazza1212 said:

You look at that team and remember how they just refused to be beaten.  They would fight to the death for each other too and had a goalkeeper who just defied belief at times. It really does make you laugh when the tarriers apply the word invincibles to their latest lot. If they were to play that Rangers team 10 times they wouldn't manage a single result. Absolutely no question about it. 

Absolutely agree with that mate . Was getting misty eyed yesterday describing that season to my son . From that day we lost at Dens park up until the game against the tarriers the following spring , was just an amazing time to be a Bear . No matter the circumstances , that squad always gave us the belief that they wouldn't be beaten . The spell around the Leeds games when we won the league cup against the sheep and went to the san giro and won 1-0  epitomised the mental strength that Walter had instilled in the players . 

FWIW , I think the previous seasons SC semi-final win over that lot , playing with 10 men for 85 minutes in a monsoon was what set the standard for what followed .

32 minutes ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

:lol:....aye close one to call that....

16 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Absolutely agree with that mate . Was getting misty eyed yesterday describing that season to my son . From that day we lost at Dens park up until the game against the tarriers the following spring , was just an amazing time to be a Bear . No matter the circumstances , that squad always gave us the belief that they wouldn't be beaten . The spell around the Leeds games when we won the league cup against the sheep and went to the san giro and won 1-0  epitomised the mental strength that Walter had instilled in the players . 

FWIW , I think the previous seasons SC semi-final win over that lot , playing with 10 men for 85 minutes in a monsoon was what set the standard for what followed .

Absolutely. 

Think the semi was the one McCoist scored after Robertson was sent marching early doors?

But aye the game has changed out of all recognition now bud. That team were truly outstanding. Also what will seem strange to a lot of younger bears is they were self policing as well. Sure Walter was feared and respected in equal measure but can you imagine guys like Gough, Brown, McCoist or Ferguson tolerating guys like Josh  Windass? No danger. Nobody wanted to leave ffs! Not for more money and we were NEVER under pressure to sell to anybody. 

Never seen a more unified group of players before or since and just look what they achieved eh.