I've quit watching most football

The Gers

Used to watch it all. Football Italia on channel 4 in the 90's. European football. International football. Obscure Taliban Premiership football where the matchball is a severed head (only joking, forgive me)

Now, the wages and transfer fees makes my blood boil. We regularly lose out on players to fucking English Championship teams, its grim how an absolute no mark tin pot club can pay 10 times what we can.

Then there's those ads with the epic music playing hyping the shite out of the big Burnley vs Stoke game:megaanguish:

I watch Rangers and Rangers only nowadays. No Sky Sports either anymore.

Anyone done a similar turnaround?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't tune in to Burnley Vs Stoke either! I do however watch a lot of Italian stuff (Inter mainly cos I took a liking to them in the 90s) and try my best never to miss Barca games. I love watching Barca because the quality is incredible.

I watch some of the big English games and would watch more of I could get away with it! I never watch Scottish stuff apart from us of course.

5 minutes ago, Dickie1963 said:

Watching Chelsea game just now but where I used to watch every game going now I pretty much watch us and not much else. 

In fact most weeks I couldn't tell you Scottish scores unless I have a bet on the outcome apart from ours. 

Chelsea without a British player starting.

2 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

I do however watch a lot of Italian stuff (Inter mainly cos I took a liking to them in the 90s)

Same here. All my school mates would get the Milan tops and I was the only one wearing the Inter top. Must have been the blue that I liked:isay:

4 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Same as Dodgy Dave when he can be arsed:mutley:

:lol:

2 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Chelsea without a British player starting.

I hate that too. When I look at the biggest teams in England now, they could say these are European teams and I'd believe it if it didn't say EPL above them.

I used to quite like Man City growing up but they are totally alien to me now. Same with Chelsea.

I’m the exact same, used to watch every game now I just couldn’t care less unless it’s Rangers. The English premier league has become the NFL, the wages and transfer fees are destroying football and have torn the soul right out of the English game. Not to mention ticket prices, stadiums full of tourists and posers whereas real fans can’t afford football anymore, shame really.

28 minutes ago, The Gers said:

I hate that too. When I look at the biggest teams in England now, they could say these are European teams and I'd believe it if it didn't say EPL above them.

I used to quite like Man City growing up but they are totally alien to me now. Same with Chelsea.

It’s only English in location.

Mainly foreign owned, foreign managed and played by foreigners in England.

I watch the highlights on match of the day. I never ever watch sportscene highlights or any live games we're not playing in. The standard is piss poor, even the majority of our games are painful watching. For all the money spent in the epl, the majority of games are shite as well. The game has gone too soft as well.

1 hour ago, The Gers said:

Used to watch it all. Football Italia on channel 4 in the 90's. European football. International football. Obscure Taliban Premiership football where the matchball is a severed head (only joking, forgive me)

Now, the wages and transfer fees makes my blood boil. We regularly lose out on players to fucking English Championship teams, its grim how an absolute no mark tin pot club can pay 10 times what we can.

Then there's those ads with the epic music playing hyping the shite out of the big Burnley vs Stoke game:megaanguish:

The games fucked imo not the same as it used to be..... I'm the same stopped paying for yer sky/ BT couple of years ago very rarely even tune in for MOTD on a Saturday night these days .....only interested in the Rangers and that's because the passion I still have for my club rather than the quality on show tbh........Football Italia on ch4 was brilliant back in the day...another victim to yer contract tv pish...

I still tune in to a ton of games, don't always pay much attention but it's on in the background. 

With all the money in the EPL I certainly don't think it's improved the entertainment value from when I was growing up in the 90s. 

Me too - Rangers only for me these days.

I've never been into rugby, but caught a bit of the Scotland v France rugby match. The players looked a staunch bunch of lads, and the fans don't look like the hateful mob that follow the Scotland football team

3 minutes ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

The games fucked imo not the same as it used to be..... I'm the same stopped paying for yer sky/ BT couple of years ago very rarely even tune in for MOTD on a Saturday night these days .....only interested in the Rangers and that's because the passion I still have for my club rather than the quality on show tbh........Football Italia on ch4 was brilliant back in the day...another victim to yer contract tv pish...

Agreed 100%. A post I could have written!

2 minutes ago, Black and red socks said:

Me too - Rangers only for me these days.

I've never been into rugby, but caught a bit of the Scotland v France rugby match. The players looked a staunch bunch of lads, and the fans don't look like the hateful mob that follow the Scotland football team

It does seem a bit more friendly and upmarket doesn't it.

No maniac's with effigies and pro ira horseshit   

I agree with every word. 

English football has lost something - its easy and trite to say "its lost its soul" but that's as good a description as any. Its became a playground for multi-millionaires who make sure they don't injure each other and don't really care by and large if they win or lose. Very few games now have real passion - the "derbys" are a bit of a joke.

Its became the opposite of what English football used to be all about