Danny Wilson

ForeverAndEver

48 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Really like Danny Wilson. Always wished he worked on being more physical but would have played him before Bates this season.

For me Bates is just a ticking timebomb waiting to explode.

Load of shite should have been Bates and Wilson till the end of the season they were by far our best defensive pairing. I’m not a fan of Martin.

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

If Danny Wilson was a foreigner then we would be calling him a mercenary, since he came back he had been half arsed and terrible but decided to up his game when he was trying to earn a new deal.

Not sad to see him go at all.

Over the years there's been a few players that up there game when contracts are due.

Yes he was playing well before he left  but was he consistent over his time with us .

10 hours ago, Siwel said:

Gutted at hearing that tbh he clearly wanted to stay.

Whoever the cunt was who kept calling him a money grabber on the old Danny Wilson thread can go fuck himself btw

That was probably me but you’ve got some brass neck on you after wanting a career ending injury to one of our players.

I wanted him to stay but I see you are taking Danny’s version of the truth as the gospel ?

18 minutes ago, surfsup2 said:

Over the years there's been a few players that up there game when contracts are due.

Yes he was playing well before he left  but was he consistent over his time with us .

I don't even think he had been that great this season tbh, he had certainly been applying himself a bit more but that should be expected all the time.

1 hour ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Really like Danny Wilson. Always wished he worked on being more physical but would have played him before Bates this season.

For me Bates is just a ticking timebomb waiting to explode.

Just looks like he is as his hair looks like a flame 

1 hour ago, Siwel said:

Load of shite should have been Bates and Wilson till the end of the season they were by far our best defensive pairing. I’m not a fan of Martin.

Martin has been steady since his arrival and, like SDOW, his ability to read and anticipate usually makes up for his lack of pace. And Bates will learn a lot more as a  young CB from him than he ever would from Wilson. As will Aidan Wilson when he comes back.

When Wilson was on his game, he looked great but he often went for a wee nap in the middle of games. As we get stronger and spend more and more time attacking, those wee naps could have been costly.

And if our (Allen’s) handling of this is indicative of a new, firmer approach to giving out contracts, then it’s about bloody time.

11 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

DANNY WILSON has lifted the lid on his shock exit from Rangers and told fans: I wanted to STAY.

Wilson, 26, quit for US side Colorado Rapids last month, just days after revealing a desire to sign a new Gers deal.

Now the stopper has told how he quizzed Pedro Caixinha and Graeme Murty over a contract extension only for Ibrox director of football Mark Allen to perform a U-turn on the deal.

Wilson insists he’d have happily stayed at Gers on the same wages but was told he could go.

He said: “I made it clear I wanted to stay with Rangers. Absolutely, I wanted to stay. But I was left with no choice but to consider other options.

“Plenty of people have had their say about my decision to leave Rangers, especially on social media.

“So much of it is inaccurate rubbish. I’m delighted to have the opportunity to set the record straight.

“I asked two managers and a director of football about a new contract.

“The truth of it is that for four or five months I asked Rangers what the situation was, beginning with Pedro Caixinha before he left.

“I was told just to concentrate on my performances — and I thought my performance level over that period of time was good.

“Then as it got into January, after we returned from Florida, I went in to speak to them again.

“I was told the contract would be there in the next day or so.

“That was it. I left the room thinking that would be me, I would be staying at Rangers.

“That was on the Tuesday, but by the Wednesday evening I was told there would be no contract for me to sign.

“It was Mark Allen, the director of football, who told me.

“He’d encouraged me to think there would be a contract for me to stay, but there weren’t even terms discussed.

“It was NEVER about money. I actually told Rangers during our brief discussions that I would have been happy to stay on the money I was on.

“I was extremely fortunate to have such an attractive offer from Colorado Rapids.

“It’s a great opportunity for me and my family with a massively ambitious club — I can’t wait to start.”

Wilson, who played over 100 games and won five trophies in two spells at Ibrox, also played for Hearts and had a brief stint at Liverpool.

He added: “I was very lucky to get the chance to play for Rangers for one spell. To get a second opportunity was fantastic, and I’ll always be proud about that.

“I know I can walk away from Ibrox with my head held high. There are others who are saying I’m taking the easy way out by going to America. That isn’t true at all.”

Should have been gave the contract

If it wasn't about money, why didn't he just stay till the end of his contract? He was first pick in his position. 

Potential trouble ahead then if Wilson's account of events is a broadly accurate summary of how he feels he was treated.

There is now a big squad.  Murty has mentioned this on more than one occasion recently.   Not all fit of course and when those returning to a level of fitness that would bring them into contention for first team action then the tensions start to increase among players about who is playing and whether those not playing are being given a decent chance to show their worth.    Its not possible imo to satisfy all of those players in what is a 'heavy' squad.  So dismissive messages from the management like concentrate on your performances, or no replies in reasonable timescale to enquiries about contracts and future are not likely to cut much ice with those players.......and disaffection spreads.    Whether Wilson had made his view of the experience he was receiving clear to other players is not known.   But they know his views now........and are well warned about what they might expect depending on whether or not they are seen by Murty and DOF as sufficiently favoured.    

Seems its not only King that risks a cold shouldering experience.  Those not in the Allen / Murty  'favourites' books might also get a dose of what Wilson got.    Maybe frank, honest and timely face to face meetings are now replaced with this sort of cold shouldering, ignore the request, dismissive responses so that rather than face up to players about hard decisions this 'wait till the 'not wanted' penny eventually drops' becomes the way of telling players their time is up.       

Managing a squad where the Wilson-type experience has happened and which could happen again could be quite a challenge coming up for Murty and Allen.    Not only that, if players who leave feel they are not treated reasonably then its not exactly a beacon on good football practice for encouraging other players to join in future.   Excepting of course if the main pool of prospective players the DOF and Murty and the scouting system are looking at those who support Rangers who would walk the miles to get a chance to play for the club regardless of how things then turn out then the Wilson-type experience will probably not bother them too much.   But others may sit up and take note of how this player was treated and if there are better options then the way players are treated once here becomes a factor in their deciding whether or not to sign.

It does not sound to me like Wilson was treated reasonably or well.    Its a good job he is satisfied with his new club.    Its a bit of a warning bell to those Rangers players still at Ibrox who are not part of the most favoured group that Wilson clearly wasn't.  

Will be very interesting to see how the next transfer window is handled by Allen and Murty.  Not just in terms of new signings but in terms of the way exits from the Club are managed.     

44 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

If it wasn't about money, why didn't he just stay till the end of his contract? He was first pick in his position. 

Opportunity to go to USA came at the right time and Rangers received cash in return. He didn’t want to leave but it suited all, if he was valuable until the end of the season We wouldn’t have let him go, there was no trying to change his mind by the Club when he informed them what was on the table.

I liked him in his first stint but think going to Liverpool was a mistake for him to make as he wasn't going to be in the first team on a regular basis.

Second stint I am not too bothered about to be honest, wasn't outstanding and at his age probably not going to get much better.

Wish him all the best but this is not going to make me stay awake at night.

21 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Potential trouble ahead then if Wilson's account of events is a broadly accurate summary of how he feels he was treated.

There is now a big squad.  Murty has mentioned this on more than one occasion recently.   Not all fit of course and when those returning to a level of fitness that would bring them into contention for first team action then the tensions start to increase among players about who is playing and whether those not playing are being given a decent chance to show their worth.    Its not possible imo to satisfy all of those players in what is a 'heavy' squad.  So dismissive messages from the management like concentrate on your performances, or no replies in reasonable timescale to enquiries about contracts and future are not likely to cut much ice with those players.......and disaffection spreads.    Whether Wilson had made his view of the experience he was receiving clear to other players is not known.   But they know his views now........and are well warned about what they might expect depending on whether or not they are seen by Murty and DOF as sufficiently favoured.    

Seems its not only King that risks a cold shouldering experience.  Those not in the Allen / Murty  'favourites' books might also get a dose of what Wilson got.    Maybe frank, honest and timely face to face meetings are now replaced with this sort of cold shouldering, ignore the request, dismissive responses so that rather than face up to players about hard decisions this 'wait till the 'not wanted' penny eventually drops' becomes the way of telling players their time is up.       

Managing a squad where the Wilson-type experience has happened and which could happen again could be quite a challenge coming up for Murty and Allen.    Not only that, if players who leave feel they are not treated reasonably then its not exactly a beacon on good football practice for encouraging other players to join in future.   Excepting of course if the main pool of prospective players the DOF and Murty and the scouting system are looking at those who support Rangers who would walk the miles to get a chance to play for the club regardless of how things then turn out then the Wilson-type experience will probably not bother them too much.   But others may sit up and take note of how this player was treated and if there are better options then the way players are treated once here becomes a factor in their deciding whether or not to sign.

It does not sound to me like Wilson was treated reasonably or well.    Its a good job he is satisfied with his new club.    Its a bit of a warning bell to those Rangers players still at Ibrox who are not part of the most favoured group that Wilson clearly wasn't.  

Will be very interesting to see how the next transfer window is handled by Allen and Murty.  Not just in terms of new signings but in terms of the way exits from the Club are managed.     

Really don’t think so. Happens all the time, and it’s totally one sided in terms of reporting. No ones going to KB an offer because Danny Wilson wasn’t wanted. 

He had a contract, we honoured it, and when we accepted an offer (engineered by his agent over a while obviously) he didn’t have to accept. 

He could have kept his head down and upped his game until closer to expiry, and earned a new deal. 

If we survived the McKay Guantanamo incident then I’m sure we’ll be fine. 

46 minutes ago, Malvern said:

I liked him in his first stint but think going to Liverpool was a mistake for him to make as he wasn't going to be in the first team on a regular basis.

Second stint I am not too bothered about to be honest, wasn't outstanding and at his age probably not going to get much better.

Wish him all the best but this is not going to make me stay awake at night.

Agreed. Think if he had stayed with us he'd have ended up an outstanding player and captain for us. He'll be back in Scottish football within a few years in my opinion, just not with us.

4 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Naw . He was a loser for me from day 1

We are better off without him

Not a dominant defender in any position

Harsh, Danny's inconsistency leaves him open to criticism but the bottom line is that Alves and Martin are both experienced internationals but imo are no better than Danny and Bates maybe dogged but by fu*k does he not hate the ball so much that he tries to hurt it every time it lands at his feet. Kiernan , Senderos and Moshni are what you call losers.

Don't have a bad word to say about Wilson and wish him all the best. He really came onto a game in the last few months, so it definitely leaves a 'what if'. Especially if Martin was the one to replace him and his wage. 

Sad if it did pan out that way too, not very professional at all. But if the Club believe it's for the best then we have to trust them.