Rangers too Loyalist/Protestant for some?

.Williamson.

Went for the in your face title there to get everyone’s attention :lol:

Anyway I was speaking to a guy in work yesterday that in the past was involved in certain things during the troubles. Did time and all for it during the 90’s but he was telling me he couldn’t support us or even allow his son to grow up supporting us as he doesn’t want him being brought up around all the stuff we sing about and are connected to. 

I actually have a cousin that was stopped from supporting us as a child because his parents seen us and celtic as clubs that trouble makers supported. They’re bitter bitter loyalists too and stopped the same child having a catholic girlfriend a few years back but aye :lol:

So what do you think @Bluepeter9, are we just too Protestant for some people to support?

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Hand wringing central, that is what society has becoming, hating is just a no-no unless you hate hating the PUL community or Rangers.

The people I mentioned aren’t haters of the PUL community though mate, if anything they’re as hard line as it gets :lol: 

I think we as a support can be a bit smarter with some of the songs we sing at times. IMO our brand is getting harmed by it. I think a lot of people shy away from supporting our club because of this or encourage their children to do so because of the same. We are a proud British club and we should celebrate that and we are an amazing club with great history and we should be celebrating that as well. However the FTP stuff needs to go. Like it or not the tarriers are miles ahead of us with these things and I honestly believe we are losing a massive amount of kids supporting us.

1 minute ago, B1872 said:

I think we as a support can be a bit smarter with some of the songs we sing at times. IMO our brand is getting harmed by it. I think a lot of people shy away from supporting our club because of this or encourage their children to do so because of the same. We are a proud British club and we should celebrate that and we are an amazing club with great history and we should be celebrating that as well. However the FTP stuff needs to go. Like it or not the tarriers are miles ahead of us with these things and I honestly believe we are losing a massive amount of kids supporting us.

I agree mate.

Id love to see more Catholics at Ibrox 

2 minutes ago, B1872 said:

Ahead of us they are not. Two examples from an utterly extensive list.

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

5 minutes ago, B1872 said:

:lol:

13 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Went for the in your face title there to get everyone’s attention :lol:

Anyway I was speaking to a guy in work yesterday that in the past was involved in certain things during the troubles. Did time and all for it during the 90’s but he was telling me he couldn’t support us or even allow his son to grow up supporting us as he doesn’t want him being brought up around all the stuff we sing about and are connected to. 

I actually have a cousin that was stopped from supporting us as a child because his parents seen us and celtic as clubs that trouble makers supported. They’re bitter bitter loyalists too and stopped the same child having a catholic girlfriend a few years back but aye :lol:

So what do you think @Bluepeter9, are we just too Protestant for some people to support?

In NI, 100%. Not as bad over here, as with a lot of our support, just merely living in the south of Glasgow makes Rangers your local team. And there has always been pressure, however light, to support your local team. 

Me, myself, came from a Rangers supporting sash wearing flute playing family and also grew up in the south of Glasgow. So there was no way I would ever have any infulance to support any other team. And I'm glad that's the way it has turned out for me. 

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Not that any of them bother me but, add in songs about the IRA every week :lol: 

Ambulance chasing tarrier bastards

Don't bother me either mate. Whether you are offended or not though, a truly shocking example to the younger fans of their club which will only breed further hate. 

I believe that club should have been absolutely hounded from every possible avenue for that act. Unsurpringly it was swept aside (from what I can remember). 

The way I was brought up, it wasn't an option not to support Rangers. Not that I would have considered the option anyway.

Likewise my daughter, as my wife says, she'll not have any choice :dance: She has a brick on the Colin Stein wall as it is.

That's why I laugh when the taigs come out with 'your grandchildren' will be celtic fans. Really? I know it's just a wind up, but it would be an impossibility for people in my family, or many others I know.

Staunch Loyal!

1 minute ago, Siam69 said:

The way I was brought up, it wasn't an option not to support Rangers. Not that I would have considered the option anyway.

Likewise my daughter, as my wife says, she'll not have any choice :dance: She has a brick on the Colin Stein wall as it is.

That's why I laugh when the taigs come out with 'your grandchildren' will be celtic fans. Really? I know it's just a wind up, but it would be an impossibility for people in my family, or many others I know.

Staunch Loyal!

I didn’t mean they end up taig fans I meant they end up watching English football and not bothering with Scottish football entirely 

Just now, .Williamson. said:

I didn’t mean they end up taig fans I meant they end up watching English football and not bothering with Scottish football entirely 

Usually, you get the two team supporters I have never quite got that.

13 minutes ago, B1872 said:

Sorry, but pish.

Appeasement is for losers. The taigs appease no cunt and very smart in not doing so.

That's why we are losing. That and our bridge building board!

Rangers are not loyalist or protestant.

Some of our supporters believe that loyalist and protestant beliefs are an important part of the club. Some of our supporters do not.

There is a perception by some people that our club is aligned with the loyalist and protestant beliefs, and that does put people off, not only following Rangers, but also puts them off following football all together.

2 minutes ago, Zak_De_La_Ranger said:

Some of our supporters believe that loyalist and protestant beliefs are an important part of the club. Some of our supporters do not.

There is a perception by some people that our club is aligned with the loyalist and protestant beliefs, and that does put people off, not only following Rangers, but also puts them off following football all together.

We’ve a picture of the Queen in our dressing room and Jimmy put a Union flag over the treatment table in an away dressing room recently mate.

Loyalist club 

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

Yea I know, it just made me think of that taig banner. I thought it at the time when I seen it, an impossibility.

My daughter here in London will probably be like James Arthur, in that she'll probably support a local team, but her da will have it instilled to be a Bear as well.

7 minutes ago, JM1872 said:

Ahead of us they are not. Two examples from an utterly extensive list.

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

It's not they are ahead of us in terms of songs it is just that there has been a movement where our culture and beliefs are the only one in this country that is allowed to be openly hated in public without any fear of punishment. Look at that example , they mocked hanging an Orangeman and Rangers fan in full public view and the media and politician hardly batted an eyelid.

3 minutes ago, Zak_De_La_Ranger said:

Our club is aligned with loyalism and Protestantism. It's a simple fact. It might not be important to some but it is there.

Archived