the greatest

Gaffbear

1 hour ago, Jakes Pal said:

Cheating Argie junkie bastard. Remember the Belgrano yah fud. 

Not a patch on Pele. 

Pele was not a patch on Garrincha...Maradonna was better than Garrincha...Garrincha was the Leigh Griffiths of Brazilian football he fathered 14 kids to 5 different women

Maradona was probably quite a bit more skilful than Messi, but Messi is obviously on about the same level passing-wise and a much more prolific goalscorer.

The thing is, in the era before every game for the world's top players was televised, most fans only saw the likes of Maradona if they visited the player's country, had a visit from that player in an international game or watched the world cup on the telly. It's much easier for a figure to become mythical when they're rarely seen. I have probably watched Messi about 300 times, so it's not surprising if his brilliance has become almost mundane to me. That should be to his credit though.

And then I think of what Jorge Valdano, who won the world cup with Maradona, said: "Messi is the Maradona of Mexico '86, everyday for five years".

16 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

Thats nonsense mate, it is like saying George Best was not world class because he didnt play in a world cup finals

Never said Messi wasn’t world class, but until he wins a World Cup for Argentina he isn’t in the same league. 

Maradona won a World Cup almost on his own. 

10 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Never said Messi wasn’t world class, but until he wins a World Cup for Argentina he isn’t in the same league. 

Maradona won a World Cup almost on his own. 

He did not win a world cup almost on his own...take a look at the team around him in 86 and the stats

1 hour ago, bluedylan said:

Pele was not a patch on Garrincha...Maradonna was better than Garrincha...Garrincha was the Leigh Griffiths of Brazilian football he fathered 14 kids to 5 different women

Garrincha also allegedly lost his virginity to a goat :wow: Not sure if any kids though !

FWIW , The Maradonna of the 80's was an unbelievable talent , able to inspire his teams to great success when skillful players had a much tougher time in terms of tackling , state of the pitches etc . Messi on the other hand has been consistently the outstanding player in one of the finest club sides that we have witnessed and his goalscoring feats alone are excellent never mind the quality of most of those goals and his allround ability . Hard to pick out who is/was better , but feel fortunate to have had the chance to watch both of them .

45 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

He did not win a world cup almost on his own...take a look at the team around him in 86 and the stats

Carried them on his own, you take Maradona out of that team they don’t win the World Cup it’s that simple, lifted Napoli to league titles. 

He was better than Messi. 

21 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Carried them on his own, you take Maradona out of that team they don’t win the World Cup it’s that simple, lifted Napoli to league titles. 

He was better than Messi. 

In the lead up to the final Franz Beckenbauer described the Argentine team as close to perfection without an obvious weakness...what would be know.I am a huge fan of Maradona ,I actually made a wee pilgrimage to his boyhood neighbourhood in Buenos Aires and then to ArgentinosJuniors and Bocas  ground to see where he played and up to few years ago I would have agreed with you.One thing we can surely agree on though is Maradona was better than Pele

Just now, bluedylan said:

In the lead up to the final Franz Beckenbauer described the Argentine team as close to perfection without an obvious weakness...what would be know.I am a huge fan of Maradona ,I actually made a wee pilgrimage to his boyhood neighbourhood in Buenos Aires and then to Argentine Juniors and Bocas  ground to see where he played and up to few years ago I would have agreed with you.One thing we can surely agree on though is Maradona was better than Pele

Agreed on Pele. ??

Maradona nicks it for me simply because he could take a team that was inferior to others and raise them to another level. 

But it’s football mate, it’s all about opinions. ??