Curling Drugs ban.

tannerall

Saw during the week a member of the Winter Olympic Russian Curling team received a drugs ban.

Having watched Curling can't see how drugs would improve performance. Basically just a game where you bowl a stone, then walk alongside till it reaches or misses target. 

Am I missing an athletic point ? Maybe drugs help with the brush strokes per minute ?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/22/russian-curler-alexander-krushelnitsky-stripped-of-winter-olympics-medal-after-admitting-doping 

I used to play curling to a national level at my age group.

The sport is more physical than most realise, you will cover a good few miles per match, however its steady, moderate excercise . Ultimately, the game is about tactics and delivery. A man who has been injecting anabolic steroids for years and can sweep like fuck, gives no real advantage over a skinny wee guy. So long as you can sweep faster than the stone is travelling, which every able bodied person can do. Sweeping too much actually is counter productive. You just want to melt the ice slightly, to make the stone curl less and travel farther. Too much, smooths the pebble on the ice and will actually slow the ice down, particularly as the game goes on - slow ice, or rapidly evolving ice, is very hard to achieve consistency on. I would liken it to playing a round of golf, with every green having a different speed and firmness - you'd struggle with putting/approach.

Unless the drugs helped nerves, concentration or judgement/feel, I don't know what advantage they would offer. It very much a sport where practice, composure and judgement win over athleticism. You can play to high level well into your 50s, even 60s.

A big part of the problem with drugs is that it is still largely an amatuer sport. Most players, certainly at national level, don't have easy access to sports nutritionalists and expert advice on foods, medicines, etc - although Olympic teams will have this.

Lottery funding enables the olympic team to more or less do it full time, and that in itself is a big bone of contention as many feel the game has put its eggs in 1 basket with a very small group of people. The nature of Curling is, at the better levels, anybody could beat anybody. Even the olympic teams, a good regional level rink, could easily give them a game in a one off. Although over a series of games the better teams will always win out. 

On 24/02/2018 at 18:07, Badger said:

I used to play curling to a national level at my age group.

The sport is more physical than most realise, you will cover a good few miles per match, however its steady, moderate excercise . Ultimately, the game is about tactics and delivery. A man who has been injecting anabolic steroids for years and can sweep like fuck, gives no real advantage over a skinny wee guy. So long as you can sweep faster than the stone is travelling, which every able bodied person can do. Sweeping too much actually is counter productive. You just want to melt the ice slightly, to make the stone curl less and travel farther. Too much, smooths the pebble on the ice and will actually slow the ice down, particularly as the game goes on - slow ice, or rapidly evolving ice, is very hard to achieve consistency on. I would liken it to playing a round of golf, with every green having a different speed and firmness - you'd struggle with putting/approach.

Unless the drugs helped nerves, concentration or judgement/feel, I don't know what advantage they would offer. It very much a sport where practice, composure and judgement win over athleticism. You can play to high level well into your 50s, even 60s.

"I used to play curling to a national level at my age group" ?????????? 

On 24/02/2018 at 14:43, tannerall said:

Saw during the week a member of the Winter Olympic Russian Curling team received a drugs ban.

Having watched Curling can't see how drugs would improve performance. Basically just a game where you bowl a stone, then walk alongside till it reaches or misses target. 

Am I missing an athletic point ? Maybe drugs help with the brush strokes per minute ?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/22/russian-curler-alexander-krushelnitsky-stripped-of-winter-olympics-medal-after-admitting-doping 

Or maybe it's  just the Russians can't play fair at anything.

17 hours ago, Band of Brothers said:

Bonus point who can tell me where the stones are from......................

Ooh ooh me miss ah know!!

The Ailsa Craig, but not sure that the South Koreans bothered to get them there. Probably got them made cheap in China or North Korea.