***The Official St. Johnstone v Rangers Thread***

Davy Vandenbroucke

Just now, tm91 said:

Important to note - we've now the top scorers in the division. We've neck and neck with them since Murty got the job, and that's with us losing stupid games like Hamilton, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Dundee....

We're getting there. I thought tonight was exactly what Rangers should always be - clinical, tough, first to every ball, utterly professional.. we just steamrolled them. There was no way we were losing tonight, and that's the sort of mentality we need more often.

Whisper it, but Murty might actually be developing into the guy we need him to be.

Are you happy with the defence??

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hilly86 said:

Not questioning the subs part, but why the need to try two up front?

Maybe cause we have a possible 2 good goal-scoring forwards and many partnerships in the past (for many teams) have resulted in loads of goals. And if we didn't try it we would never know if it worked or not. Any change in players positions or team formation is good to try in a competitive game. There might not be a "need" for it but at least we can find out what works or doesn't.

Just now, tm91 said:

I'm not comfortable with it, no, but Alves is only just getting back, McCrorie will probably be flitting between there and playing anchor man, and to be honest, I quite like David Bates. He looks like Bambi on ice sometimes but he can defend well and he''s definitely improving.

We need better alternatives in the full-back position more than anything. We can't be relying on Hodson and Halliday if Tav or John are out.

I don't want McCrorie to play in midfield he is a defender.   I don't rate Martin from his games for us thus far.   Halliday is no full back and just not good enough all round.  Hodson is murder.   I think I'd prefer Alves and McCrorie in defence.   Wallace can give us cover at LB when fit.

Normally after an easy win referees are not mentioned. However there were a few shocking decisions tonight which could have proved costly . I am not as a rule overly critical of referees and would normally state "these things even themselves out over a season" and complaining is taig like. But  even i am getting pissed off at the amount of shocking decisions given or not given in our games.

Martin is a real problem when balls are loaded into the box.the only player who is attacking high balls is Bates .we neeed to get Alves in alongside Bates for the tarriers game or we will definitely lose goals from set pieces against them

2 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I don't want McCrorie to play in midfield he is a defender.   I don't rate Martin from his games for us thus far.   Halliday is no full back and just not good enough all round.  Hodson is murder.   I think I'd prefer Alves and McCrorie in defence.   Wallace can give us cover at LB when fit.

McCrorie should be C.B. when fit. We have plenty options available in midfield.

Just now, tm91 said:

Agree on Hodson. I know he's a bear but I groan every time he's on the park. Halliday's not much better. McCrorie can apparently also play right-back quite well - that versatility is probably going to see him play a few positions I think?

I'm not sure what to think of Martin. Given his career history I was expecting better, but then Alves has struggled too at times. Maybe he just needs time to adjust.

I think Alves is better at reading the play than Martin and he is much better in the air.

9 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I think Alves is better at reading the play than Martin and he is much better in the air.

Will Alves be interested after the World Cup, I have my doubts.

Least Martin will want in the Scotland squad, lastly I rate McCronie over Bates.

I'd  give Bates a contract, just not a starting 11 in my eyes, hopefully proved wrong.

1 hour ago, Hilly86 said:

It does...takes away a shape that the players seem to know and feel confident playing, we lose fluency and threat, give up possession, etc..

I'll take that tonight, wait for doing some team 8-0 in future :p:

Candeias brings a helluva lot to the team.

I am delighted to say I was wrong about Murty and the tactics. Murty has he team playing exactly the way it should be playing. He system is fluid and every player knows their part. They now play with a desire that was lacking in the first half of the season.

if he has a strong second half of the season I would like to see him being given the gig on a long term basis

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

Martin will take a bit of time due to not playing much, and playing RB when he did, but isn't half as bad as everyone is making out.

Thought Halliday filled the role well tonight, apart from one mistake which he recovered from. He's a decent enough squad player and hasn't been bad since getting back.

1 hour ago, Rupret said:

Will Alves be interested after the World Cup, I have my doubts.

Least Martin will want in the Scotland squad, lastly I rate McCronie over Bates.

I'd  give Bates a contract, just not a starting 11 in my eyes, hopefully proved wrong.

Don't quite understand the dislike for Bates, he's a young guy who's pretty inexperienced and done nothing wrong of note in my eyes.

The more games he gets the more experienced he'll get.

To be compared to Alves and Martin, who are experienced internationals remember, is ridiculous.

Archived