Video Referee

five stars

It looks like video referees are finally going to happen, starting with the World Cup in the summer.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16063198.Watch__Video_refs_to_be_rolled_out_across_the_football_world_following_historic_vote_supported_by_SFA/

Given the performance of certain referee's this season, surely this is a good thing? Although it remain to be seen if/when it will be brought in to Scottish football.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was only a matter of time

Will be brilliant when they iron out the glitches and use it properly the way other sports do. Football is behind the times with this should have been brought in years ago. Not sure how far down the leagues it is practical to implement this in. Internationals and premier leagues will do for a start. 

5 minutes ago, five stars said:

It looks like video referees are finally going to happen, starting with the World Cup in the summer.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16063198.Watch__Video_refs_to_be_rolled_out_across_the_football_world_following_historic_vote_supported_by_SFA/

Given the performance of certain referee's this season, surely this is a good thing? Although it remain to be seen if/when it will be brought in to Scottish football.

It’s been used in English cups this season and it’s horrible - slows the game down - takes emotion out of it - waiting minutes to see if a goal is given. Refs are poor but this is not the way forward. 

If the video review was done on a referral basis with each team having one referral each(if your referral is successful you retain your referral) during a game then I can see it working better than the referring everything farce in the FA cup.

Something's got to change because referees need help but we also desperately need to get rid of the referees who are just hopeless.

Just now, Gustav said:

The fuck you on about ya little creep

You know damn well, I'll leave it at that.

I'm pretty unconvinced about video refs, I know we get infuriated at times but I don't want football turned into some immaculate Fifa 18 simulation. On the fence then!

A lot of people might think this is silly, but I think the very flaws in football are what makes it what it is. If it was perfect then people wouldn't get angry, talk about it, or feel as emotional as what we do when it's not so perfect.

The Maradona hand of god is still talked about to this day, people remember it and there is still some pain and hatred left in there from it - it happened in 1986. It's a simple example but one I thought would amplify my point.

Fact is, if we are good enough and try to be the very best we can it's very unlikely for us to have any real loss of achievements from bad refereeing decisions. 

I think we lose an important flaw in football by removing all refereeing errors - strange as it sounds.

4 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

A lot of people might think this is silly, but I think the very flaws in football are what makes it what it is. If it was perfect then people wouldn't get angry, talk about it, or feel as emotional as what we do when it's not so perfect.

The Maradona hand of god is still talked about to this day, people remember it and there is still some pain and hatred left in there from it - it happened in 1986. It's a simple example but one I thought would amplify my point.

Fact is, if we are good enough and try to be the very best we can it's very unlikely for us to have any real loss of achievements from bad refereeing decisions. 

I think we lose an important flaw in football by removing all refereeing errors - strange as it sounds.

I agree, human error is a part of the game, any money being spent on this by any FA should really be put towards training the referees better.

Firstly the VAR may be in its infancy but it's staggering how big a cunt of it they've made so far. I've seen a goal chopped off for a knee cap being offside and a goal chopped off for a foul which was actually given against a striker but in fact he'd been fouled . We're waiting about  ten minutes a half which is nonsense and the main fault is that the raw emotion of scoring a goal is now gone forever for fear of it being chopped off. I'd be categorically against it as it is but I'm aware that Scottish football is about to go into meltdown with the standard of Refereeing being at an all time low and the old firm looks to be competitive again so the usual Celt*c paranoia will see the refs  buckle under the pressure as their windows get panned in so maybe VAR with each team allowed three referals could work.

56 minutes ago, Bearsden bear said:

Don't imagine it will come to Scotland.

It took us long enough to get the wee spray for the refs. We still dont have goaline tech as no money so expect same will apply with VAR

It can’t come to scotland because the stadiums aren’t designed for VAR & also like you said money is a factor too

2 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

It’s been used in English cups this season and it’s horrible - slows the game down - takes emotion out of it - waiting minutes to see if a goal is given. Refs are poor but this is not the way forward. 

It's been used in a few different countries other than England (972 games worldwide used VAR during the pilot and 10 of them were in England).

The average time taken across all of the games to reach a decision is 55 seconds.

The biggest problem with the tiny number of games it has been used in down south is the way it has been implemented. Was introduced in MLS 12 months ago with an observer telling the referee there is something which should be reviewed and the match referee then views the replays himself and makes a final decision while in England the referees have had no sight of replays and have to rely on someone else's view to make a decision 'blind'

4 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

:tu: Agreed.

Was gonna post just about the same