Video Referee

five stars

8 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

The trial in england has been terrible. They just haven't got it right, whether or not that's to do with training or a lack of clarity I'm not sure, but the European trials have gone a lot smoother and that's made me think its not a bad idea

I like the idea of some technology - goal line stuff is good - I also think retrospective action against (say) hitting someone in the balls and only being booked is fine - so let’s see what more trials bring but it needs to be better than the English cup model 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I like the idea of some technology - goal line stuff is good - I also think retrospective action against (say) hitting someone in the balls and only being booked is fine - so let’s see what more trials bring but it needs to be better than the English cup model 

Retrospective action is a good one, and they should be able to upgrade a card on review as per today's decision. Its about evolving the game, and as you say goal line tech is a sensible one to bring in. Yeah not too sure what the English cup model was all about tbh. The squiggley line was embarrassing.

3 hours ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Yeah just read that they are looking at it. As I've stated previously, I'm a fan of var but why the hell would they try and implement a system here if the refs aren't even full time? Its a surefire recipe for failure, but full time referees first please, proper training and then var. 

We had another prime example of poor refereeing today with another assault on David Bates. Surely that has to be a red?  Under the FA trials or European trials of the VAR would that be reviewable?

I still think in Scotland there’s way more to do yet before VARs and like you it has to be professional referees first.  Can’t imagine it would cost that much more as they already get a grand a game.  At least make the top two leagues full time.  

7 hours ago, Bluenose88 said:

We had another prime example of poor refereeing today with another assault on David Bates. Surely that has to be a red?  Under the FA trials or European trials of the VAR would that be reviewable?

I still think in Scotland there’s way more to do yet before VARs and like you it has to be professional referees first.  Can’t imagine it would cost that much more as they already get a grand a game.  At least make the top two leagues full time.  

From what I understand, the var team would have a word with the ref and advise him that he would need to go and review the incident. Gives the ref a different perspective on the incident and they can advise him he should send the player off. 

Definitely need to be making the top two divisions full time

9 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Just basing my reaction on English cup games and it’s been aweful ( imho) and nothing I saw would say it warranted a seasons trial. 

I don't know what the English have done with it however it's nothing like the system implemented in Europe. I've seen some excellent games in Germany where the VAR brought excitement with it.

That's watching it from a neutral perspective though and I'm pretty sure if Rangers had just scored a completely legitimate goal, only for it be disallowed because two players not involved in play were holding each other, then i wouldn't be happy. 

On the other hand, would we have lost so many players to injury if VAR was used here?

18 minutes ago, VentyFour said:

I don't know what the English have done with it however it's nothing like the system implemented in Europe. I've seen some excellent games in Germany where the VAR brought excitement with it.

That's watching it from a neutral perspective though and I'm pretty sure if Rangers had just scored a completely legitimate goal, only for it be disallowed because two players not involved in play were holding each other, then i wouldn't be happy. 

On the other hand, would we have lost so many players to injury if VAR was used here?

I can only judge from the English games and it was pretty poor, in one instance they debated one of these 50-50 type fouls for ages  - make a decision move on - or every goal we will be discussing every tackle