Sean Goss considering playing for NI

Lloyd

Rangers' Sean Goss holds talks with Northern Ireland

Alasdair Mackenzie @aksmackenzie

Goss has impressed since moving to Rangers

NORTHERN Ireland manager Michael O'Neill has held talks with Rangers midfielder Sean Goss over his international future. 

The 22-year-old is on loan at Ibrox from Queens Park Rangers until the end of the season and has made an impressive start, scoring twice in nine appearances. 

His eye-catching form has encouraged O'Neill to try and convince Goss to commit to Northern Ireland, who he qualifies for under the grandparent rule.

The Belfast Telegraph has reported that discussions have already taken place between the former Manchester United player and O'Neill. 

Goss was born in Germany and grew up there before moving to England aged eight. 

If he agrees, the midfielder could feature as soon as this month for a friendly against South Korea. 

O'Neill turned down the Scotland job to remain in the Belfast post in January after missing out on World Cup qualification in the play-offs against Switzerland. 

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/16067496.Rangers__Sean_Goss_considers_committing_international_future_to_Northern_Ireland/?ref=rss

1 minute ago, Smile said:

He will not make the German team I guess, should never happen should always be the country of your birth. 

No Dads Or Grandads Rule.

Think with the amount of players N.Ireland have had stolen from them in recent years it’s only fair they can take advantage of this rule 

4 hours ago, Smile said:

He will not make the German team I guess, should never happen should always be the country of your birth. 

Surely this depends on how long after your birth you lived in the country for?

I don't know Goss' circumstances, but let's say two Scottish parents are down living in England and have a child there but move back up when he's 2 or 3 or whatever and stay.

To not be allowed to play for Scotland because he was born in England would be ridiculous, no?

4 hours ago, Smile said:

You're spot on about Grandads, miles off about Dad's. See laudraupsleftfoot for explanation. 

31 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Surely this depends on how long after your birth you lived in the country for?

I don't know Goss' circumstances, but let's say two Scottish parents are down living in England and have a child there but move back up when he's 2 or 3 or whatever and stay.

To not be allowed to play for Scotland because he was born in England would be ridiculous, no?

No not for me he's English, should be country of birth only no exceptions.

3 minutes ago, Wearethepeople72 said:

Would make sense.

Doubt he would ever get a game for England but would probably end up being a regular in the NI team.

He's born in Germany so that also lessens his chances.

8 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Think with the amount of players N.Ireland have had stolen from them in recent years it’s only fair they can take advantage of this rule 

Did you see the article where the FAI(Republic) have been encouraging Kafflicks from NI to play for them,claims Michael O'Neill?

.....and they call Proddies bigots eh?

6 minutes ago, Blumhoilann said:

Did you see the article where the FAI(Republic) have been encouraging Kafflicks from NI to play for them,claims Michael O'Neill?

.....and they call Proddies bigots eh?

Common sense is needed here. They're not likely to be able to convince a boy from the Sandy Row or Shankill to play for them over NI are they?