Clint Hill

Former Rangers defender Clint Hill believes the Ibrox side can challenge for the Scottish Premiership title if they beat celtic on Sunday.

The defending champions hold a six-point lead having played one game less than their Ibrox rivals.

"[Rangers] will go into this game full of confidence, at home, with the crowd behind them," Hill told BBC Scotland.

"If they get a win then they seriously are title contenders. They have to be judged that way."

Rangers have won their last six games, but have not beaten celtic in the league in their last seven meetings.

Manager Graeme Murty has taken charge twice in Old Firm games, earning a 1-1 draw at celtic Park last season - as caretaker boss - and a 0-0 draw at the same venue in December.

"The last performance at celtic was brilliant; they could have possibly nicked a win there," Hill said.

"They have to get out and get that win first and foremost and then hopefully the consistency will come."

Hill scored a late equaliser against celtic last March in the 1-1 draw during Murty's first spell as interim manager.

He was taking charge of the side following the departure of Mark Warburton and ahead of the appointment of Pedro Caixinha,

Murty stepped into the breach again when Caixinha left in October, and has since been put in charge until at least the end of the season, bringing a greater level of consistency to the side.

Hill, who now plays for Carlisle United, has been impressed by the progress achieved under the former Scotland international, whose side will also face celtic in a Scottish Cup semi-final on Sunday, 15 April.

"It's been very steady, very good progress," he said. "Everything looks to be going very well indeed at the moment.

"Obviously the big games are coming up now and these are the games that ultimately you'll be judged on at the end of the season.

"It's going in the right way, which is important. Obviously, the right result on Sunday and then it goes down to three points and it's a great, great race ahead which everybody wants in Scotland."

Rangers' run of six consecutive victories in all competitions is their best run since 2016, when they were in the Scottish Championship, under Warburton.

Hill believes Murty now has a strong claim to be appointed manger on a full-time basis beyond the end of the season but thinks that the title run-in will influence the decision made by the Ibrox board.

"Results and the end-of-the-season table will dictate what the club do," he added.

"They know that they've got a great man in charge now who's found that stability, who has progressed the team to another level from last season.

"There's a lot of positives for him to take and I'm sure the club will be looking at it as well. They wouldn't have given the job to him if they didn't think he could do it.

"I'm pretty sure if he does well, challenges and gets into the [Scottish Cup] final then I'm sure he's got a great shout of getting the job.

"To judge success you need to win trophies and hopefully that's the next step for Graeme and the club."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43306916

Speaks like one of us, what a guy :bow:

24 minutes ago, bordersbear said:

He seemed to really enjoy his time with us. A genuine guy who gets what the club means to us.

went down to the Carlisle v Chesterfield game couple of weeks ago met Clint genuine as fuck and should hear him talk about Rangers 

35 minutes ago, Vision said:

Was gonna say the same thing, we could be doing with someone of the same mould as big Clint.

Bates reminds me a lot of Clint. Nothing fancy, just gets the job done and gives 100% for 90 mins every game. I guarantee Bates scores a header from a corner in the next month. 

1 minute ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Bates reminds me a lot of Clint. Nothing fancy, just gets the job done and gives 100% for 90 mins every game. I guarantee Bates scores a header from a corner in the next month. 

No doubt, he's been getting closer with each game :tu:

46 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

You mean from the corner of his head??

Can't remember a player signing in the last few years who has been as honest and really made a difference , really grasping what it means to play for us and being so proud to get the chance.He should have had 1 more year as he was fairly motoring once he got to grips with it. Scored 6 goals in that short time and a goal against the scum! A real decent pro and a good Queen and Country lad. 

1 hour ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Said similar in a different thread, Bates is fast becoming the Weir/Hill type of player we need at the back. Partnered with the Bougherra-esque McCrorie and we have two CBs Scottish clubs should fear coming up against in the near future.

2 minutes ago, MrMeeseeks said:

Said similar in a different thread, Bates is fast becoming the Weir/Hill type of player we need at the back. Partnered with the Bougherra-esque McCrorie and we have two CBs Scottish clubs should fear coming up against in the near future.

Hard to disagree, but I don't think McCrorie is ready to be a first pick centre back. He gets on the wrong side of his man too often and gets pulled out of position which makes him dive in and usually miss the ball. I can't see a fault in his game when he plays in the DM role. His vision and his passing could be better. He gives us the option to change shape and hold on to a lead if we need to. Candeias has proven he is solid when he plays more central. Would need to take off (at the moment) Windass and play a sort if diamond with Murphy and Candeias being the players that get forward on the break. I'm thinking too much here lol. This game coming up has me hyper as fuck. I'm already fired up for it. 

He was our best player last year (with Miller second... regardless of our thoughts on Miller, it stands firm).

I would have gladly had him here this season. Unless I am getting old and forgetful, I can't remember a game where I said "oh fuck, Hill is playing. We will be fucked now!"

3 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Hard to disagree, but I don't think McCrorie is ready to be a first pick centre back. He gets on the wrong side of his man too often and gets pulled out of position which makes him dive in and usually miss the ball. I can't see a fault in his game when he plays in the DM role. His vision and his passing could be better. He gives us the option to change shape and hold on to a lead if we need to. Candeias has proven he is solid when he plays more central. Would need to take off (at the moment) Windass and play a sort if diamond with Murphy and Candeias being the players that get forward on the break. I'm thinking too much here lol. This game coming up has me hyper as fuck. I'm already fired up for it. 

I can remember Candeias playing central once, against Hibs at Easter Road, and he had a shocker