Souness - Rangers win would be good for Scottish football

GRAEME SOUNESS says a Rangers victory over celtic on Sunday would be the best thing that could happen to Scottish football.

“Rangers are a wee bit closer and that’s good for Scottish football – it’s certainly good for Rangers.

“celtic are still a bit in front. It would go down to three points, they’ve never been closer to them, and this weekend will tell us a great deal.

“Obviously as an ex-Rangers man I want that to happen, but I think it would be good for Scottish football to give us a competition again so its not a one-horse race.”

: “I’ve been involved in some big derbies – Liverpool v Everton, Liverpool v Man United, Fenerbahce v Galatasaray, but this is the biggest one.

“For Rangers and celtic supporters, you don’t become one, you’re born one.

“It’s what it means to the football club. The build-up to it is enormous and if you win or lose, the consequences are either fantastic or you’re in despair because you’ve lost.

“And that goes right into the working life of all these supporters – it’s not something you can forget very easily if you’ve come unstuck and lost a game.

“For me it’s the biggest derby I’ve been involved with.”

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Fuck Scottish football, it’s absolutely dead and we owe it fuck all. The sooner we get out of this poxy backwater and play our football elsewhere the better. 

I agree but that’s never happening mate, no sense letting yourself think otherwise 

4 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Fuck Scottish football, it’s absolutely dead and we owe it fuck all. The sooner we get out of this poxy backwater and play our football elsewhere the better. 

We're not getting out of this backwater league, the quicker people realise this the better.

4 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I agree but that’s never happening mate, no sense letting yourself think otherwise 

I think something could happen in our lifetime. I don’t know what but there are so many giant clubs that are simply ebbing away because of their much reduced financial status. Us, Ajax, Brondby, Malmo, PSV,  Feyenoord, Brugge, Anderlecht etc it’s frightening how a club like Burnley would now be considered a bigger club than us. Makes me fucking despair! I’d take us starting at any level in England as well to make it happen. 

Just now, Brackley Bluenose said:

I think something could happen in our lifetime. I don’t know what but there are so many giant clubs that are simply ebbing away because of their much reduced financial status. Us, Ajax, Brondby, Malmo, PSV,  Feyenoord, Brugge, Anderlecht etc it’s frightening how a club like Burnley would now be considered a bigger club than us. Makes me fucking despair! I’d take us starting at any level in England as well to make it happen. 

Burnley aren’t considered a bigger club than us :lol:

They get better players than us because of the league and money they have at their disposal but they’ll never be a bigger club. 

If we didn’t move to another league when we got demoted then we never will mate.

29 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Much as we might all want that to happen we all know It's nothing but a dream. England doesn't want us and where else would we play?

Wales?

Norhern Ireland?

4 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

Much as we might all want that to happen we all know It's nothing but a dream. England doesn't want us and where else would we play?

Wales?

Norhern Ireland?

Northern Ireland would be a good laugh if nothing else

Lurgan celtic away. The game the world really wants 

20 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

And sporting Lisbon, Porto, benfica.  I think all the clubs you mentioned plus these and us will het sick of UEFA and tv rights and will have to do something. All these teams in a league or 2 would generate big money

There's no denying Scottish football has its problems but for me the SPL has improved recently and it's not only down to the current form of Rangers, the likes of Kilmarnock and Hibs have being playing decent stuff and though the quality may be missing some of the games have proved to be decent contests. Outside our games recent games involving Hearts and Kilmarnock v the beggars were most enjoyable and the Kilmarnock v Hibs game a few weeks ago was entertaining.

In contrast the EPL is on another planet financially but I'm increasingly finding many of the games to be pretty boring, especially games involving the bigger clubs such as Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal.