Warburton - "I received death threats"

RD.1872

Mark Warburton has lifted the lid on his bitter Rangers departure and has revealed he only found out he was no longer Ibrox boss from watching television on a Friday night.

In a frank and startling interview, the Englishman lays bare how his time in Glasgow came to an shuddering end in February 2017 and has now detailed the frightening abuse he suffered, including alleged death threats.

He said: "I still don't really know what happened. At 8.50pm on a Friday night I was watching Sky Sports and it came up on the yellow tickertape, 'Mark Warburton resigns his position as manager of Rangers'.

"That was it. I phoned David Weir and said, 'I think I've just been sacked', and he said, 'So do I because my name's on the TV as well!'. We didn't know anything about it, but soon we got an email from the club, 'We accept your resignation'.

"We contacted the club at the time saying, 'Show us an email, a letter, a phone call indicating we want to resign', and the silence was golden.

"There were press reports we were going to go to Fulham, to Nottingham Forest, but we had no contact whatsover.

"Two weeks later I got contacted by Forest for the first time - that's the absolute truth. But I was still seen as walking away from Rangers and leaving them in the lurch. What was I supposed to do, turn down the job at Forest?

"David did the commentary last for the Rangers v Falkirk game and praised Graeme Murty for the good job, steadying the ship and I got battered afterwards! There were comments like 'Steadying the ship? You rocked the boat in the first place! You're a snake!"

They say time is a great healer, but Warburton still vividly recalls the torrent of abuse he allegedly received following his acrimonious split with the Ibrox side last year.

The 55-year-old has revealed that his long-term phone number was leaked on to the Internet, and that led to a host of incendiary messages, including threats against his life.

Warburton added: "I got a huge amount of abuse and death threats that weekend.

"The phone number I had for over 10 years was posted on the Internet and and the calls and messages were endless. I walking to a friend's for dinner on the Saturday and looked at my phone, which said 'inbox full'. There were 910 text messages and 40-odd voicemails.

"Every time I went to use my phone it was ringing, and I couldn't work out what was going on. I drove from Glasgow to London on the Sunday and couldn't speak to my wife. I couldn't use my phone so my wife didn't know what was going on.

"Some of the messages and threats were horrendous, whether they were from celtic fans or Rangers fans who thought I had walked out on the club, I don't know.

"I listened to some of the messages but I wouldn't want to repeat them. It got so bad that I had to change my number after years and years.

"Every day I got abusive texts and tweets from Rangers fans, saying I walked out on them. You would never walk out on Glasgow Rangers. It's such a massive club and it was such a privilege to manage to work there and I would never have walked away.

"For people to think that we did is what hurts the most. Watching Sky was the fist I heard of it."

"No contact from Forest whatsoever... honest" :whistle:

Pathological liar aswell as a con man.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No matter how it turned out with Forest, some of our so called fans are scum. The same minority who racially abuse Edu for his performances, scrapping in Manchester, and now threatening ex managers. Those are the ones who get us into trouble. Most of our fans are amazing and we are the best in the world. But to the rest- Fuck them-they should fuck off to the other side of the city to the terrorists.

MW should be staying out the papers anyways. Seems he is being called up ahead of our game. He hated the press up here so not sure why his name is in their articles all week.

He must think all football fans are stupid, after his previous career I wouldn't put that past him, and after his idiotic press conferences stating the same bullshit over and over with the most ridiculous excuses thrown in for good measure - I definitely think he thinks that of us.

The brass neck he has is his only real attribute. 

5 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Isn’t it a coincidence that the day before our biggest game in years a rhag runs a negative story about our former manager receiving death threats from our supporters (not that I’m condoning that sort of behaviour BTW).

Exactly. If it’s not the UB March, Falkirk fan refused entry, pressures on us, it’s this nonsense.

3 minutes ago, fanaticCR said:

Exactly. If it’s not the UB March, Falkirk fan refused entry, pressures on us, it’s this nonsense.

And the "cheering from the dressing room" . What reaction did they want, a big groan of fear!

It's all coordinated by the media.  Reading there about all the "noise coming from Ibrox" this week - nothing in quotes, basically newspaper talk being quoted by other newspapers thereby becoming 'facts'

They are doing a great job in giving the cellic dressing room a boost, as was their intention.