Anti Meltdown Thread

Morelos scores the 1 v 1 to make it 3-2, they don't go up the other end and score through Eduoard and the rest of the game plays out as we saw it.

3-2 to us instead of them.

Would the hundreds of post match meltdown posts still have happened? Calls for Murty not being good enough, the whole team being shite and needing replaced etc. 

Would anyone have been on here coming out with this?

None of us should be happy with the result, but there's now not much between us. Razor thin margin that could have gone the other way.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Morelos scores the 1 v 1 to make it 3-2, they don't go up the other end and score through Eduoard and the rest of the game plays out as we saw it.

Would the hundreds of post match meltdown posts still have happened? Calls for Murty not being good enough, the whole team being shite and needing replaced etc. 

None of us should be happy with the result, but there's now not much between us. Razor thin margin that could have gone the other way.

Football doesn't work that way though.

Boyata doesn't give the ball away to Windass for the first goal.
Their right back isn't sleeping while we get in behind then allow the ball to go across and fall to Candaies for the second goal.

and we wouldn't be having this conversation about "Morelos puts that one in and the angry threads wouldn't be made" ... the better team won today. End of. There's various ways to define better, one of them is being organised, clinical and having some balls - which celtic did.

12 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

He didn't and they did

That's ultimately all that matters

1 minute ago, simplythebest said:

He didn't and they did

That's ultimately all that matters

I don't disagree, but the point I'm making is that the small margins won the game and it could easily have been vice versa.

I understand fans are hurting but the reaction overall from some has been sickening.

1 minute ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I don't disagree, but the point I'm making is that the small margins won the game and it could easily have been vice versa.

I understand fans are hurting but the reaction overall from some has been sickening.

Sickening is letting them beat us under those circumstances

1 minute ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I agree, but it doesn't justify the reaction.

I don't see what reaction you were expecting to be honest

After some progress it feels like we're right back to square one, unable to beat them even with all the circumstances going for us

I think today emphasises that Bruno Alves is one of the worst signings we've made.  On the face of it a guy with his pedigree and experience should have been a major influence on our team but he's been awful and never exerted any influence in any game. Nobody can say what difference it might have made if Bates had stayed on the park but I'd rather have him over Alves or Cardoso, any time.  I keep  myself what if it had been Bates against Dembele for his goal,  he might have given away  a foul but he'd at least have  put in a challenge, perhaps enough to put Dembele off his shot.  As for Cardoso, the sooner he's gone the better, we either build around Bates and McCrorie or buy two decent central defenders as I'm not sure Martin is answer.

3 minutes ago, Grundy said:

I think today emphasises that Bruno Alves is one of the worst signings we've made.  On the face of it a guy with his pedigree and experience should have been a major influence on our team but he's been awful and never exerted any influence in any game. Nobody can say what difference it might have made if Bates had stayed on the park but I'd rather have him over Alves or Cardoso, any time.  I keep  myself what if it had been Bates against Dembele for his goal,  he might have given away  a foul but he'd at least have  put in a challenge, perhaps enough to put Dembele off his shot.  As for Cardoso, the sooner he's gone the better, we either build around Bates and McCrorie or buy two decent central defenders as I'm not sure Martin is answer.

I would put Alves up there with Boli, as one of the worst overated defenders we have ever had.

45 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

there is huge gulf between their mental toughness than ours imo

2 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Ok, so it's the usual meltdown bile in here but for me there are loads of positives both today and going forward. 

Tav - once again best right back in Scotland - bar none. 

Declan John - growing into a Rangers jersey game by game 

Docherty - not fazed at all today, has the energy and physicallity required - will only get better and better

Murphy - tore Ayer a new one time after time great addition

Candeais - great energy, touch and trickery. He's got better as the season wore on 

Morelos and Cummings - yep, I know Alf missed two gilt edged chances but he gave that utter pish defence today all kinds of shit resulting in a blatant elbow from that dumpling. He and Cummings again will only get better. 

McCrorie, Jack and Dorrans to come back means for me at least a quality centre back and that elusive no.10 and we are right in the battle next season. 

Yep, there's question marks over Murty but if the right person became available then ........... but they're not growing on trees. The criticism aimed at Murty (especially subs) is a bit harsh imho. Thats still the main gap our dugout compared to theirs. 

Today was a massive let down but we are without doubt catching up, 

He was horrific today.

3 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Ok, so it's the usual meltdown bile in here but for me there are loads of positives both today and going forward. 

Tav - once again best right back in Scotland - bar none. 

Declan John - growing into a Rangers jersey game by game 

Docherty - not fazed at all today, has the energy and physicallity required - will only get better and better

Murphy - tore Ayer a new one time after time great addition

Candeais - great energy, touch and trickery. He's got better as the season wore on 

Morelos and Cummings - yep, I know Alf missed two gilt edged chances but he gave that utter pish defence today all kinds of shit resulting in a blatant elbow from that dumpling. He and Cummings again will only get better. 

McCrorie, Jack and Dorrans to come back means for me at least a quality centre back and that elusive no.10 and we are right in the battle next season. 

Yep, there's question marks over Murty but if the right person became available then ........... but they're not growing on trees. The criticism aimed at Murty (especially subs) is a bit harsh imho. Thats still the main gap our dugout compared to theirs. 

Today was a massive let down but we are without doubt catching up, 

You actually summed up my thinking. If Bates had not been injured, we would have gone on to win

1 hour ago, chris182 said:

They changed to two deep sitting banks of four to hit on the counter - you could almost smell the fear.

This all day, it meant we couldn’t exploit the spaces they were leaving in the first half and killed the opportunities we had.

we had clearly set-up all week to play against the celtic that pressed high.

Completely deflated by the result but for atleast 60 mins we hardly pressed them when the evidence was there in the opening 10 mins that they were lax and sloppy in possession.  Yet we stand off for too long and Rogic cracks what was a good hit for the equaliser.  Our problem today was standing off them.

we could blame murty all day long for keeping goss on the pitch as he looked outclassed but even you could see him gesturing to the players to hurry up and show urgency yet they didn’t.

this team will never beat celtic, we were in the best form for ages and still couldn’t get a result.    They’ll more than likely beat us en route to a 2nd treble on the spin.

A really really big summer for Rangers F.C. this year.  Defence needs over hauling drastically and a tough ball winner for the midfield that does all the ugly things well

Pointing out the negatives is not a meltdown. When septic went down to 10 men you could see they set up for countering us but we did not make the changes to keep them pressed in their own box or to counter the counter by keeping our defenders slightly deeper to mop up the counter. No, we just moved forward as a team, lost our positions and could not react one two passing from them because we were all running backwards. We hit poor crosses and lots of short passing that was going no where around their box. When they got the ball off us they went straight forward in to the space that we had vacated. Our defenders were running backwards instead of having the game in front of them and constantly positioning to stop the counter. I see what the OP is saying but this needs to be a lesson that the team learns; too many times we have been undone by a simple counter this season.

I'd take zero positives from today. We had half an hour to beat them against ten men, with their two main centre backs not playing, their third choice keeper, griffiths not playing either., and not only do we fail to get a winner, they beat us. Embarrassing. 

5 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Alves is too slow and causes us to sit too deep, forcing our midfielders to cover too much ground and giving there's more space. He is an absolute shocker.

Part of the thing is, when Alves goes forward (the other team are pressed in their box) no one covers the space behind and he is to slow to recover. A simple punt/pass to their attacker and we are in trouble again as they have acres of space to run into.

In my view we have definitely improved under Murty. However it is not enough of an improvement.

But as others have said we don’t appear to have any genuine top level managers knocking at the door trying to get the job. So who do we replace Murty with? And given our current levels of debt, how can we afford to pay and resource such a manager?

For me I cannot see an alternative to Murty, so yes I feel we have to give credit to his positives and hope that he learns quickly on the job. The secondary damage this result has caused is that it gives those behind us momentum and belief. The real measure of Murtyand his team is going to be how they handle this defeat. We don’t just need to learn how to beat celtic, we need to show we can beat Hibs. Today we threw away a lead in a game by effectively bottling when under the pressure of being in the lead. We need to show that we are not going to throw away second place in the League.  

5 hours ago, loyalfollower said:

Completely deflated by the result but for atleast 60 mins we hardly pressed them when the evidence was there in the opening 10 mins that they were lax and sloppy in possession.  Yet we stand off for too long and Rogic cracks what was a good hit for the equaliser.  Our problem today was standing off them.

we could blame murty all day long for keeping goss on the pitch as he looked outclassed but even you could see him gesturing to the players to hurry up and show urgency yet they didn’t.

this team will never beat celtic, we were in the best form for ages and still couldn’t get a result.    They’ll more than likely beat us en route to a 2nd treble on the spin.

A really really big summer for Rangers F.C. this year.  Defence needs over hauling drastically and a tough ball winner for the midfield that does all the ugly things well

Yep. I agree. When we actually press thats our best line of defense. It really rattles them. We can play good football at times. But yesterday mun, everytime we scored we sat back and invited them to score. In saying that, their 2nd goal was just a long ball that should of been defended better.

1 hour ago, Parky89 said:

Yep. I agree. When we actually press thats our best line of defense. It really rattles them. We can play good football at times. But yesterday mun, everytime we scored we sat back and invited them to score. In saying that, their 2nd goal was just a long ball that should of been defended better.

How many goals do we concede that should’ve been defended better though?  Most goals conceded by us involve glaring errors on our part