Why no press?

This is the thing that really got to me today. 

Our two goals come from pressing them back and forcing mistakes. As soon as we score we sit back instead of killing it, allowing them back into the game. The pressing game worked at the piggery when we should’ve won and today we done it twice and got two goals then sat off them allowing them to calm down and regroup. 

Really fucked me off we could’ve got a couple in the first 15-20 mins if we pressed like we did when we got the goals

No leader on the pitch to drive the team forwards sums this up for me. This is what we are crying out for. When is the last time we had a proper driving force as a captain on the pitch? Need to go back a while but would make all the difference. 

8 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Our two goals come from pressing them back and forcing mistakes. As soon as we score we sit back instead of killing it, allowing them back into the game. The pressing game worked at the piggery when we should’ve won and today we done it twice and got two goals then sat off them allowing them to calm down and regroup. 

Really fucked me off we could’ve got a couple in the first 15-20 mins if we pressed like we did when we got the goals

Yep. If we’d just stuck with our initial game plan we’d have won. It wasn’t like they upped their game and forced us to change ours either, they were shite. They just grew in confidence the more we sat off. Fucking infuriating.

I think the problem was that when we were pressing, aye it caused a couple of mistakes, but at other times they were finding their attacking midfielders in alot of space between our defence and midfield when they beat the press. I think we ended up sitting deeper because we were struggling to deal with their movement into those positions and the back line was in danger of being exposed. 

I don't think two in the middle of the park is enough for us against this mhanky team.

5 minutes ago, CoopsLaud said:

No leader on the pitch to drive the team forwards sums this up for me. This is what we are crying out for. When is the last time we had a proper driving force as a captain on the pitch? Need to go back a while but would make all the difference. 

I was thinking this as well. We had nobody to rally the troops

Massively agree. Like I’ve said in other threads if the tarriers had scored in the first two minutes at their place we’d have been in for a hiding we on the other hand sit back and let them have the ball. To make it even worse Boyata is an absolute bomb scare in possession we should have had two or three players at least 10 yards higher up the pitch to be able to press them high. Really poor tactical decision from Murty, we should have smelt blood after the first goal. 

5 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I was thinking this as well. We had nobody to rally the troops

Ideally for me would be a midfield general along the lines of Barry, but we dont even have a stand out leader in the defensive line which we were always known for. Pretty sure most hoped Bruno would fulfill this role but there is fuck all throughout the whole squad and the manager isnt exactly the inspiring type for a proper battle!

2 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

aye and we pressed LESS when they had a man sent off --- struggling to come to grips with that.  

It’s just fucking annoying man. Murty said as much in the run up we’d be doing the press and playing attacking football. 

So was it him telling the players to calm it or were they naturally sitting back after scoring instead of going for it? 

Both scenarios are a joke anyway but it’d be interesting to know. 

Just not good enough it really isn’t how retracted we became when they went to 10 was just unforgivable 

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Showing teams far too much respect at our home, again. 

This wishy washy respect our opponents follow with pride shite needs to get to absolute fuckery. 

5 mins before the teams come out, follow with pride video gets played over the screens :lol: 

All the while the tarriers are trying to break into ibrox, attacking buses, throwing fireworks into our end.

2 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

This is what annoyed me most today, mate. They were there for the taking the first 30 minutes. Scored our first then sat off. Attacked and pressed, got the 2nd then sat off again. Murty should have put Cummings on as soon as they went to 10 men. But for some reason it still looked like we were sitting off them even when they had 10 men. Weird one for me.

6 minutes ago, fanaticCR said:

5 mins before the teams come out, follow with pride video gets played over the screens :lol: 

All the while the tarriers are trying to break into ibrox, attacking buses, throwing fireworks into our end.

Weans getting bottled. 

Effigies of Rangers fans and Orangemen being hung in their midden. 

"They hung out the flag of war". 

"Know your place H** scum". 

But aye Follow With Pride eh :megaanguish:

The writing was on the wall last 2 games. We were stuffing St Johnstone yet took our foot of the gas knowing the game was won. Same last weekend against Falkirk. We only play 60 minutes and either ran out of steam or just simply stopped. You can't do that against them. 

We've lost that killer instinct and just seem to want to hold onto a lead rather than kill games. It's been evident with the last 3 or 4 managers now!

3 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

100% bang on mate , do not understand why we don’t push on and instead let them back into it both times we took the lead 

Problem is that with 2 slow centre half's who have to sit deep as they haven't got the pace to push right up, when we press the back 4 of any side the room that then creates in the middle of the park is too much to cope with!