Why no press?

12 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

This is the thing that really got to me today. 

Our two goals come from pressing them back and forcing mistakes. As soon as we score we sit back instead of killing it, allowing them back into the game. The pressing game worked at the piggery when we should’ve won and today we done it twice and got two goals then sat off them allowing them to calm down and regroup. 

Really fucked me off we could’ve got a couple in the first 15-20 mins if we pressed like we did when we got the goals

We should have been 2 up in the first 20, if our much vaunted Colombian could do the schoolboy things & loook along the line and not stray offside.

That said, it was a similar position to the one he screwed up later on, but he may have done better while fresher.

6 minutes ago, mus said:

Problem is that with 2 slow centre half's who have to sit deep as they haven't got the pace to push right up, when we press the back 4 of any side the room that then creates in the middle of the park is too much to cope with!

The CB’s don’t do much when we don’t press, either.

Was saying to my mate, as Candeias clattered Brown ‘why doesn’ someone else get up with him’.

Looked up to see both Burtons dummies had been beaten by the pass & the ball floating over Wes’s hand.

There were 9 men back plus keeper & we still got done!

22 hours ago, Inigo said:

I think the problem was that when we were pressing, aye it caused a couple of mistakes, but at other times they were finding their attacking midfielders in alot of space between our defence and midfield when they beat the press. I think we ended up sitting deeper because we were struggling to deal with their movement into those positions and the back line was in danger of being exposed. 

I don't think two in the middle of the park is enough for us against this mhanky team.

Very valid point mate.Every team that has successfully pressed them this season have packed the midfield.They also had players willing to support one another and cover each other’s backs.Not only did these teams press but also actually tackled their players once they closed them down.Unfortunately we had Windass and Goss.Both with a track record of going AWOL in this kind of game.We all know this but somehow this seems to have bypassed our managers attention.You cannot successfully press when 2 of you team aren’t on the same page and leave runners and gaping holes all over the pitch.

10 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

It’s just fucking annoying man. Murty said as much in the run up we’d be doing the press and playing attacking football. 

So was it him telling the players to calm it or were they naturally sitting back after scoring instead of going for it? 

Both scenarios are a joke anyway but it’d be interesting to know. 

Just not good enough it really isn’t how retracted we became when they went to 10 was just unforgivable 

Well he didn’t like us pressing Hamilton back the other week. 

Don’t know if it was a tactical choice from GM or our players subconsciously or deliberately doing it. 

What I would say is we looked like we were blowing out our arse by the time the red happened. 

Windass is always done after an hour. Morelos has played too much continuous football. Murphy and Goss are only just getting a run for games. Alves and Cardoso have both been out a while, and John has been out 3 weeks with a groin injury. 

13 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

This is the thing that really got to me today. 

Our two goals come from pressing them back and forcing mistakes. As soon as we score we sit back instead of killing it, allowing them back into the game. The pressing game worked at the piggery when we should’ve won and today we done it twice and got two goals then sat off them allowing them to calm down and regroup. 

Really fucked me off we could’ve got a couple in the first 15-20 mins if we pressed like we did when we got the goals

First goal scored so early in a game of this importance really should set the tone and let them know what they're in for. It was a gift, a golden opportunity. To then take take your foot off their throat is totally unforgivable. 

I thought this only highlights the naivety  of both the players and the manager. Bad enough to let them back in once,   but to allow them another chance for a second time is so disappointing on our own turf and displayed a glaring weakness in our make up. 

Sure we had poor individual performances all over the park yesterday,  but it's our collective inability to be streetwise that let us down. We lack the mental composure required to manage this fixture and it showed.... Big time. No excuses Rangers. 

How many times in years gone by have we seen a Gers team play shit but still have the wherewithal to stay on top of them. Murty has mentioned he has conversations with Walter all the time. Well if that's the case I'd be sitting with Smith watching a re run of that game yesterday and have him point out exactly where we let it get away from us. 

1 minute ago, Gazza1212 said:

First goal scored so early in a game of this importance really should set the tone and let them know what they're in for. It was a gift, a golden opportunity. To then take take your foot off their throat is totally unforgivable. 

I thought this only highlights the naivety  of both the players and the manager. Bad enough to let them back in once,   but to allow them another chance for a second time is so disappointing on our own turf and displayed a glaring weakness in our make up. 

Sure we had poor individual performances all over the park yesterday,  but it's our collective inability to be streetwise that let us down. We lack the mental composure required to manage this fixture and it showed.... Big time. No excuses Rangers. 

How many times in years gone by have we seen a Gers team play shit but still have the wherewithal to stay on top of them. Murty has mentioned he has conversations with Walter all the time. Well if that's the case I'd be sitting with Smith watching a re run of that game yesterday and have him point out exactly where we let it get away from us. 

Yup. We could’ve and should’ve killed it in the first 20-25 minutes, we were on top and should’ve continued to press them into mistakes, they looked totally shellshocked and by the time they had regrouped we should’ve got another. 

Then we can sit back and revel in the scoreline and let them play it about the back, go in at half time and soak it up for the first 20 of the second half. Bring on Cummings for the last 20 odd minutes for fresh legs and let him run the channels. 

We looked shocked we took the lead, twice and then sat back twice at home is just a fucking disgrace