Alves

Am i the only one who thought he was probably one of our best players yesterday?

I know he hasnt been all we expected but he won every header today and I dont remember anybody getting past him. 

The 2nd goal also, I dont know how anybody can blame him or even Fod as Cardoso was amateurish. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, RedWhiteBlue1872 said:

Am i the only one who thought he was probably one of our best players yesterday?

I know he hasnt been all we expected but he won every header today and I dont remember anybody getting past him. 

The 2nd goal also, I dont know how anybody can blame him or even Fod as Cardoso was amateurish. 

Yes, yes you are.

He is abysmal. How he's got 93 caps for Portugal is beyond me.

Expected him to come here and be a strong powerful defender who takes no messing. He's been anything but.

The fact I'd rather have David Bates, a young lad signed from Raith Rovers, and Russell Martin, a 31 year old on loan, ahead of this Euro 2016 winner speaks volumes. Hopefully he is gone this summer along with that fucking Portugal pirate lookalike Cardoso. 

He plays like a guy that looks down on the league. He expected to come up against diddy players and boss it, have an easy season and stroll into the Portugal squad for the World Cup. All he's done is prove he's an absolute has-been. He's been shown up by two players 10+ years his junior and with no where near the experience he possesses, time and time again. 

I'll be glad to see him gone come summer. 

3 minutes ago, VladimirWeiss69 said:

Thought he was decent today tbf and in no way would I play Russel fucking martin ahead of him, at least Bruno wins his headers.

If Bates injury s bad, as it looked, we may need to play Alves (yes I thought he played well) and Martin. I've defended Cardoso but he has all the physicality of a Niki Law

Alves was the best CB on the pitch today and his dominance in the air was a major asset for us. 

Back in December Wilson tried but couldn't mark Boyata at set-pieces and was all over the place.  Yesterday Alves was asked to mark Boyata and he never let us down the guy was in his pocket during every set-piece.  celtic are a big physical team and we need someone who is commanding in the air to protect the defence when there's a corner or free-kick and Alves provided that.  He wasn't too shabby in any other aspect of his game and I wouldn't fault him for any of the goals.

I know it's popular to hate on Alves but he really stepped up yesterday and it's not his fault we lost that game.  If Bates is injured then we're going to need Bruno to step up for the rest of the season and hopefully he can do that.

I’m sorry but allowing the ball to bounce in front of you (number 1 rule for school boy defenders) thus making a cunt of it there after is not the tell tail signs of any defender never mind a supposed “ World Cup superstar “

12 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Alves was the best CB on the pitch today and his dominance in the air was a major asset for us. 

Back in December Wilson tried but couldn't mark Boyata at set-pieces and was all over the place.  Yesterday Alves was asked to mark Boyata and he never let us down the guy was in his pocket during every set-piece.  celtic are a big physical team and we need someone who is commanding in the air to protect the defence when there's a corner or free-kick and Alves provided that.  He wasn't too shabby in any other aspect of his game and I wouldn't fault him for any of the goals.

I know it's popular to hate on Alves but he really stepped up yesterday and it's not his fault we lost that game.  If Bates is injured then we're going to need Bruno to step up for the rest of the season and hopefully he can do that.

Danny Wilson strolled the game at the Piggery, let's be honest

21 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Danny Wilson strolled the game at the Piggery, let's be honest

If the GIF function was working I could show you exactly what I'm talking about.  Look at this video below:

1:51 - Wilson tried to mark Boyata and can't do it.  Boyata is just a bigger, stronger, lad.

2:41 - Rangers ask Bruno Alves to mark Boyata because Wilson is struggling to cope with him

Wilson did very well for us towards the end but he lacked the physicality to be a real asset at a set-piece.  Bruno is far more dominant in the air and we seen that yesterday.  Without Bruno in there we wouldn't have coped with celtic's height and physicality at the set-pieces and just before the end of the first half they were firing plenty of balls in to our box.  Bruno did very well for us yesterday.

Thought he was first to every header, as always, in the games i've seen him play at Ibrox. I need to watch the game back on the telly to see if he was at fault for any of their goals. Cardoso on the other hand, never rated him. The best thing about him is his song haha.