Patience needed

8 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

It is not an easy thing to bridge that financial gap they have due to the free run they have had at the CL for 6 years. It cant be done overnight..

It has to be done overnight - actually I’d argue that it’s easier to do overnight. Small steps only allows them to anticipate our chase and widen the gap again. We need to blitz them such that they don’t see it coming. We need to spend big to challenge them and it has to be now rather than allowing them to monopolize the CL money to further strengthen themselves, the longer we leave it the more it’ll cost to do it. If we don’t have the money or can’t find the money to invest properly then I’m afraid we’re going to have to accept the SPL will become a one horse race. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the reaction to Sunday's poor result is intrinsically linked to our level of expectation, a level that was, ironically, provided by Murty and how he now has the team playing.

As the saying goes "it's the hope that kills you" & it really has, our expectations were flying to high prior to Sunday & the manner of the defeat & the massive crash to earth that it's resulted in is why I think the reaction has been so strong & virulent.

4 minutes ago, James Rolle said:

It has to be done overnight - actually I’d argue that it’s easier to do overnight. Small steps only allows them to anticipate our chase and widen the gap again. We need to blitz them such that they don’t see it coming. We need to spend big to challenge them and it has to be now rather than allowing them to monopolize the CL money to further strengthen themselves, the longer we leave it the more it’ll cost to do it. If we don’t have the money or can’t find the money to invest properly then I’m afraid we’re going to have to accept the SPL will become a one horse race. 

You are correct, but we constantly hear the small steps shite from the king fan club, knowing this board do not have the financial might, far less the acumen to take this club back to where we should be, so the small steps line is trotted out to deflect from their failings.

They should never have been let near us, so expect no titles whilst they remain.

4 minutes ago, Ace said:

I think the reaction to Sunday's poor result is intrinsically linked to our level of expectation, a level that was, ironically, provided by Murty and how he now has the team playing.

As the saying goes "it's the hope that kills you" & it really has, our expectations were flying to high prior to Sunday & the manner of the defeat & the massive crash to earth that it's resulted in is why I think the reaction has been so strong & virulent.

The lesson is, never let a board into power who cannot afford you!

Their time is coming to an end.

9 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Everyone had their hopes up yesterday because we were in good form and a win would have given us a proper title race.

We lost a game to a team who have 3 times our wage bill, to a manager who took them to a treble last year and went a season unbeaten domestically.

Even up until the sending off, it was a pretty even game. After the sending off, we should have won, but didnt. The team and Murty need to shoulder the blame for that.

I cant help but feel that people calling for Murty's head are being premature though. We are in danger of changing and swapping managers every 6 months and hoping for a miracle rather than giving someone the time required to actually build something.

Yes, Murty made mistakes, but he is a young manager and is still learning. Even though he is a young manager, he is IMO miles better than anyone we have had since Walter.

The improvement in form under him raised expectations and gave some false hope. He needs time to continue to improve the squad.

He has to the end of the season to be judged. I think it is stupid to say that unless he wins the semi final, then he has to go. How can it be 'expected' that he go out and beat a team who have 3x the financial backing? They are the favourites. A win against them would be amazing, but it would be unexpected and him over achieving.

If he consolidates 2nd place and gets us competing well against them, then I will be happy to give him more time. If we drop many more points to other teams, or get thrashed in the semi final, then it may be a sign that the progress he is making is stalling and should consider our options.

What I dont want to see is our fans demanding that we bring in a manager to win the league instantly, and then start calling for his head if he does not look on course to do so after 6 months. It is just a perpetual cycle of failure where the gap just increases rather than closes.

Superb post. 

They tried to do it on the cheap, hoping for small miracles along the way. Our spending in the last two windows has shown a willingness but it’s not enough to get where we want to be and arguably too much to get to where we have ended up. We need to find our own Steve Clarke -someone who can punch above their weight, not an easy task I know. 

Patience is an almighty ask for guys who spend thousands each season following their team up and down the country. For me it's the club's responsibility to ensure such a loyal support is rewarded, not half arsed on the cheap strategies. 

I think we'll be a better side next year though and I like Murty. I hope it all comes together sooner rather than later. It's vital we add proven quality this summer and ship out the deadwood at all costs.