Rangers should look no further than Graeme Murty - The Rangers Observer

Lloyd

41 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

I was told a while back that there was no chance Murty will get the gig full time. That being said, I don’t see any other obvious alternatives. 

He has done well imo, Sunday was a game we should have won and he has definitely got us heading the right direction and is certainly a step up from the last three duds.

I am not saying he is the perfect manager as yet but change for change sake is not the answer, plenty calling for change but few have come up with any credible suggestions, Steve Clarke seems to be the latest one trending but Derek McInnes has beat his team twice in the league and knocked them out the cup and Murty has the measure of McInnes.

It's not the time for another gamble and if Murty is not the man the board want to take us on I would like Neil Warnock, but again I would have no problem with Murty staying on.

3 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Mo lost us a draw, but Murty cost us a win by not being brave enough after they went down to 10. 

He doesn’t appear to be learning anything which can only be worrying for the future. 

I can’t get upset about it a draw was no use and I’m more pissed off at Murty not changing but I know it’s down to his inexperience but I’m sick of experimental managers 

1 hour ago, pcbear said:

He has done well imo, Sunday was a game we should have won and he has definitely got us heading the right direction and is certainly a step up from the last three duds.

I am not saying he is the perfect manager as yet but change for change sake is not the answer, plenty calling for change but few have come up with any credible suggestions, Steve Clarke seems to be the latest one trending but Derek McInnes has beat his team twice in the league and knocked them out the cup and Murty has the measure of McInnes.

It's not the time for another gamble and if Murty is not the man the board want to take us on I would like Neil Warnock, but again I would have no problem with Murty staying on.

It’s change as he’s not good enough 

Rangers Observer on Murty

By Charlie Phillips | Guest Contributor

The opinion piece on this website today regarding Graeme Murty’s position next season raised some interesting points. Whilst I agreed with a lot of the points being made I wholeheartedly disagree with the premise. Under no circumstances can Murty be our manager when we start our European campaign.

Let me start by clarifying that Murty has performed his two terms as our caretaker manager admirably. He has taken the job during extremely challenging conditions and has done so with great dignity and professionalism. He has led the side to some good results including the two wins against Aberdeen, a win at Easter Road and the two draws at Parkhead.

Likewise, he and Mark Allen made some sensible moves in the January transfer window which was certainly above my expectations and since the winter shut down has led us to nine wins from 11 games. A level of consistency we have not seen since our return to the top flight.

However, offsetting this is that in that run of fixtures we have lost to both Hibs and celtic at Ibrox, the latter securing victory with ten men. Murty during his two spells has also lost to Dundee (twice), Inverness, St Johnstone, Hamilton and Kilmarnock although I do concede the pitiful squads he had during these times.

The fact remains however that Murty is an Under 20s coach with no first team managerial experience. I happen to believe he will go on to become a good manager, perhaps even at Rangers but now is not the time. We are currently at a position where celtic are about to clinch seven titles in a row, had a free run at Champions League money and have a very experienced manager whose salary is greater than most Scottish clubs' turnover. To challenge them, and ultimately win the title, a number of things need to change at Ibrox, one of which being the manager. 

I do not believe for a second that there is not a better candidate out there, or someone that isn't better than Derek McInnes. That is not a slight on Murty, it’s just the reality of the situation. We need an upgrade. This season we’ve had big wages wasted on guys like Carlos Pena, Eduardo Herrera, Bruno Alves and Niko Kranjcar to name a few. There are further players, such as Michael O’Halloran and Lee Hodson who can’t get near the first team. Those wages would be much better served towards a higher calibre of manager. Somebody that, when the opposition goes down to ten men, doesn’t dither and makes a change that leads the team to victory. 

I see some chatter online about the semi-final determining whether or not Murty gets the job. That kind of short-term thinking has seen Rangers go from crisis to crisis. What happens if he wins the semi-final then loses the final, or then finishes third in the league? It’s an insane approach. 

This board have managed to get a lot right in their time at the helm. They must not get a third managerial appointment wrong

Any truth in what an earlier poster was saying that this bloke was gaz92 on here? Cant recall that poster tbh so interested to know if there is anything in it? As for the articles from this source, they always seem reasonably well written compared to some others imo.

For me the league was already done so all the pressure is on Murty to reach a cup final. Next scum game is the make or break one imo.

4 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Who is Garry Carmody and why should his opinion be given any more credibility than any other Bear with an opinion?  I'm not getting at the guy for having an opinion although I do think it smacks of a bit of a love-in.   

One of the online giggle-gang and CG groupie.

Without saying to much, more suited to supporting Bheast FC (if you catch my drift wink.gif.dd73f7c0741a67e2dd3719afde97ada3.gif )

3 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

I was told a while back that there was no chance Murty will get the gig full time. That being said, I don’t see any other obvious alternatives. 

I suppose a lot will depend on how much King / NOAL has to shell out (after the recent ruling) as well as continuing to satisfy the auditors with the seven million pledge? 

Maybe they'll use that Wonga facility to pay for a management team :sarcasm:

2 hours ago, pcbear said:

I would like Neil Warnock

Bizarre shout that.

We're playing some of the most attractive football we have done in years and Warnock is a direct long ball manager. 

He's pushing 70, has never managed at a big club where the expectation is to win every game. Arguably the only big club with big expectations he's been at was Leeds and he was awful there nearly leading them to relegation.

He's never won a trophy (that I can recall, any resident stato's might correct me), he has probably been sacked more times than he's been promoted, and for most clubs has probably lost as many games as he's won.

Rangers TV would be a bit more interesting mind.

Not read the article but I am not against giving him the job full time.

He has installed a great work ethic, has the team playing well ( for the most part)  his away record is great,  his reord againt the tarriers is better than the handpicked managers we've had over the past 6 years.  He has the players wanting to play for us, and signing on for longer terms.  He has instilled a feelgood factor in the fanbase where we are once again going out there and expecting to beat that shower of cunts from parkhead.

Barring a ropey start, a pretty poor home record, and a couple of high profile defeats ( hibs and them) I don't think he has done too much wrong.

He seems to be getting the best out of a few players we thought had no future under us.  Windass is like a different player under Murty. We have someone with an eye for a player in Mark Allen, and He has a smart mentor who knows the Scottish game in Jimmy Nichol.

I reckon if he can iron out a few of his weaknesses, and he is given some decent financial backing, he could be the one to get us 55 next season.

Just now, gogzy said:

He has installed a great work ethic, has the team playing well ( for the most part)  his away record is great,  his reord againt the tarriers is better than the handpicked managers we've had over the past 6 years.  He has the players wanting to play for us, and signing on for longer terms.  He has instilled a feelgood factor in the fanbase where we are once again going out there and expecting to beat that shower of cunts at parkhead.

Barring a ropey start, a pretty poor home record, and a couple of high profile defeats ( hibs and them) I don't think he has done too much wrong.

He seems to be getting the best out of a few players we thought had no future under us.  Windass is like a different player under Murty. We have someone with an eye for a player in Mark Allen, and He has a smart mentor who knows the Scottish game in Jimmy Nichol.

I reckon if he can iron out a few of his weaknesses, and he is given some decent financial backing, he could be the one to get us 55 next season.

Aye, just one wee issue with that assertion - it won't be happening :sarcasm:

30 minutes ago, CoopsLaud said:

Any truth in what an earlier poster was saying that this bloke was gaz92 on here? Cant recall that poster tbh so interested to know if there is anything in it? As for the articles from this source, they always seem reasonably well written compared to some others imo.

For me the league was already done so all the pressure is on Murty to reach a cup final. Next scum game is the make or break one imo.

Aye that's what his username was on here. He wrote a few articles for the site back then.

He's 1 of a number of these online blogger types that appeared in 2012.

Went to a taig school and is a grass.

6 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Aye that's what his username was on here. He wrote a few articles for the site back then.

Cheers for info masterD. Am a bit behind with these things.

17 minutes ago, MasterD said:

A snivelling little cunt.

Much as I think Murty has  great  potential and seems a decent human being, In fact I'm sure he could manage at the top level in the game someday,  there simply isn't time to fuck around and hope for the best with those bastards running riot and going for nine or ten, we simply can't afford it,  I'm sure his Sellik supporting dad reminds him of that everyday.

I really don't think it's fare to judge Murty on the our games vs the Tarriers. I do know that games against them are a massive part of being a Rangers manager but in the past, the two teams have been close in terms of quality-apart from 9IAR! :) 

It was clear from that game that both teams are shite at the back but I feel they are much better than us in midfield/forward positions along with options of players on the bench.

Not taking advantage of the last 30mins of that game was about quality and the ability (or lack of) our players and I just don' think they had enough to break them down (the few times we did we blew it-see Morelos!)

I think now we are clearly good enough to be second and are starting to distance ourselves from the others but i feel we are still 4 or 5 players away (better than who we already have) from equalling and really being able to compete with them. I do believe that our current team can take a game off of them but i dont feel we have the quality yet to do it consistently.

I think Murty has done a great job getting the most out of the players we have and has given us unity, structure and consistency-which the players have all bought into-and is something we have had little of in the last few years.

I know he is not the greatest manager in the world and does make mistakes but he is passionate about Rangers and really wants to improve. 

I say we back him and give him a chance, providing him with a team that matches them in quality and depth and then we can them really have a go at them!

7 hours ago, gogzy said:

He has installed a great work ethic, has the team playing well ( for the most part)  his away record is great,  his reord againt the tarriers is better than the handpicked managers we've had over the past 6 years.  He has the players wanting to play for us, and signing on for longer terms.  He has instilled a feelgood factor in the fanbase where we are once again going out there and expecting to beat that shower of cunts from parkhead.

Fuck sake gogzy:wow:

12 hours ago, Junior Soprano said:

Another season down the swanny next season.

I think that's somewhat pessimistic. Strengthen the wings and, with some tweaks here and there, we have a competitive team. The team is there or thereabouts.