Rangers need a more experienced and better manager than Graeme Murty - TRO

Lloyd

Rangers require a better and more experienced manager than Murty

March 14, 2018

By Charlie Phillips | Guest Contributor

The opinion piece on this website todayregarding Graeme Murty’s position next season raised some interesting points. Whilst I agreed with a lot of the points being made I wholeheartedly disagree with the premise. Under no circumstances can Murty be our manager when we start our European campaign.

Let me start by clarifying that Murty has performed his two terms as our caretaker manager admirably. He has taken the job during extremely challenging conditions and has done so with great dignity and professionalism. He has led the side to some good results including the two wins against Aberdeen, a win at Easter Road and the two draws at Parkhead.

Likewise, he and Mark Allen made some sensible moves in the January transfer window which was certainly above my expectations and since the winter shut down has led us to nine wins from 11 games. A level of consistency we have not seen since our return to the top flight.

However, offsetting this is that in that run of fixtures we have lost to both Hibs and celtic at Ibrox, the latter securing victory with ten men. Murty during his two spells has also lost to Dundee (twice), Inverness, St Johnstone, Hamilton and Kilmarnock although I do concede the pitiful squads he had during these times.

The fact remains however that Murty is an Under 20s coach with no first team managerial experience. I happen to believe he will go on to become a good manager, perhaps even at Rangers but now is not the time. We are currently at a position where celtic are about to clinch seven titles in a row, had a free run at Champions League money and have a very experienced manager whose salary is greater than most Scottish clubs' turnover. To challenge them, and ultimately win the title, a number of things need to change at Ibrox, one of which being the manager. 

I do not believe for a second that there is not a better candidate out there, or someone that isn't better than Derek McInnes. That is not a slight on Murty, it’s just the reality of the situation. We need an upgrade. This season we’ve had big wages wasted on guys like Carlos Pena, Eduardo Herrera, Bruno Alves and Niko Kranjcar to name a few. There are further players, such as Michael O’Halloran and Lee Hodson who can’t get near the first team. Those wages would be much better served towards a higher calibre of manager. Somebody that, when the opposition goes down to ten men, doesn’t dither and makes a change that leads the team to victory. 

I see some chatter online about the semi-final determining whether or not Murty gets the job. That kind of short-term thinking has seen Rangers go from crisis to crisis. What happens if he wins the semi-final then loses the final, or then finishes third in the league? It’s an insane approach. 

This board have managed to get a lot right in their time at the helm. They must not get a third managerial appointment wrong.

6 minutes ago, Siwel said:

This board have managed to get a lot right in their time at the helm. They must not get a third managerial appointment wrong.

Did you actually read that last sentence before hitting publish? And the rest of it not Murty but eh I have no idea.

Pointless article

1 minute ago, eskbankloyal said:

Looking forward to the same people in the other thread commenting :pipe:

I'll stick to what I said :lol:  and wait till the end of the season .  

I hope the board do the same btw , and haven't jumped on either the positivity on the lead up to Sunday or the negativity after it . 

5 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Looking forward to the same people in the other thread commenting :pipe:

It’s simple good cop bad cop stuff, a typical murray era ploy, some of our fans are a lot cuter now. Still equates to little or no meaningful investment,with pending developments studiously ignored.

It was always going to come down to Murty being shit and the board not investing enough and not getting blamed. A lot of us saw it coming months ago when he was appointed.

I feel sorry for the guy, he is being shafted and even though we may have a few injuries and had a good Jan transfer window it will still be Murty getting it tight if we are not second without the cup and no investment in the near future apart from season ticket sales (which will pay of debts no doubts).

I've said this on some other threads. We need an experienced manager in the dugout for next season. Murty isn't learning from his mistakes. There's been several games where he waited to long to make the changes and it's cost us points.  He's clearly a good coach and motivator.  He's got these players playing for him and I would be all for him still being part of a coaching set-up next season. But we need a manager not a coach. We need someone who can make the big calls when necessary and take us to the next level were we can challenge for the title and stop 10.  

What interesting is that a lot of the manager's names who were touted or mooted for the role are really, really struggling or not in any work because they have been sacked. Im gonna say it - picking a good, successful, manager is a bit of a lottery

Don't think Murty has it, to be a Manager with us, always said he is a great coach and that is where his strengths  are  at this time.

The Breadman's signings have had a few seasons to improve and Pedro`s guys have now had nearly a season to gel so I think that has played a bigger part than anything. January window was a decent window for fuck all money which the board will be delighted.

Cant bring a new Manager in just before the European games or it will go Pedro shape .

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

What interesting is that a lot of the manager's names who were touted or mooted for the role are really, really struggling or not in any work because they have been sacked. Im gonna say it - picking a good, successful, manager is a bit of a lottery

Correct mate look at the names linked with us when Pedro left, Padrew on the verge of getting the sack again from WBA,  Coleman looks like taking Sunderland into the third tier of English football and big Sam doing ok was probably asked to keep Everton up and looks likely to happen.  

8 minutes ago, HOPLITE said:

Correct mate look at the names linked with us when Pedro left, Padrew on the verge of getting the sack again from WBA,  Coleman looks like taking Sunderland into the third tier of English football and big Sam doing ok was probably asked to keep Everton up and looks likely to happen.  

a few people were saying Hughes as well. he took Stoke into the relegation places and was sacked. God knows why Southampton have taken him on.

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

More than a bit of a gamble. 

There's none around just now that I would trust to come and do a job for what we could afford.

48 minutes ago, GT66 said:

More than a bit of a gamble. 

There's none around just now that I would trust to come and do a job for what we could afford.

This is why I've been saying Steve Clarke. He's taken that Kilmarnock Team from bottom of the league to 5th in 5 months. He's showing he can get the better of both the old firm. He also comes with a lot of experience and would be in our price range.

Any manager is a gamble but a manager who's showing he can get results in the league and somehow turn Kris Boyd back into a leading goal scorer lessens that gamble.