Barry Ferguson - Brenda got lucky.

gmcf

28 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

We didn’t have to make a change to dictate matters, we were dictating the game.   All they did was effectively sit  in.  Yes, they got a goal from a player they brought on but that was almost fully due to our car crash defending not anything else.

The moment that red card goes up the game is changing. Murty can either make his play first and potentially force BR’s hand or he can have a look and adapt. For me he done neither and the game became very comfortable for our 10 men opponents. 

IMO it was embarrassing, it certainly wasn’t bad luck that determined the outcome and I’m stunned that any Rangers fan could conclude it was. 

Ferguson article is full of it. You can argue bad luck losing bates to injury and having to use Cardoso.

But the rest is trying to hide the faults in the team and management. I don't think Rodgers is some tactical genius like the Scottish press is trying to make him out to be. But he took a gamble bringing on another striker down at 10 and it paid off.

Murty froze on the day and waited until it was too late to make the changes. At 2-2 we should be pressing the advantage. Instead the changes come after they score allowing them to sit back with 10 and flood the box.

32 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

He did what any normal manager would do and brought on a defender - hendry. He waited 10 minutes after the red card to bring that french guy on for forrest - it wasn't quite immediately and it wasn't to replace Jozo.

End of the day (for me anyway) if Goss and our defenders (Cardoso mainly) do their fucking jobs, we win the game. 

Why did Murty wait to bring on Cummings then? 

It's becoming a worrying trait of his that he can't change games when it's needed by bringing on subs at the right time. 

23 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

They weren't lucky at all, and fully deserved the win. We were shite from when we scored the second.

After going up both times it felt like we weren't pressing as high, which was a big mistake.

With a makeshift defence and no proper DM playing a high pressing game was going to be our best form of defence.

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Why did Murty wait to bring on Cummings then? 

It's becoming a worrying trait of his that he can't change games when it's needed by bringing on subs at the right time. 

Not sure. I've criticized him on here for taking an age to make subs week in week out. 

A small part of me wonders if his refusal to make changes is due to how pish the players are sitting on the bench. Looking at that bench on Sunday, outwith Cummings obviously, I don't see any of the other players changing anything. Halliday, Miller, Herrera or Holt? And for who? The better players were already on the park.

Fucking frustrating regardless.

1 minute ago, Supersonic said:

Not sure. I've criticized him on here for taking an age to make subs week in week out. 

A small part of me wonders if his refusal to make changes is due to how pish the players are sitting on the bench. Looking at that bench on Sunday, outwith Cummings obviously, I don't see any of the other players changing anything. Halliday, Miller, Herrera or Holt? And for who? The better players were already on the park.

Holt would've done a job over Goss imo. 

I think it was the second goal that killed it, just before half time, it gave them a lift and took the wind right out of us. As for Barry's piece there was some bad luck in the fact Bates got injured and Alfredo not converting a chance he would have 9 out of 10 times. Ifs and buts, at the end of the day we never got any points but we did give them a game, this time I was optimistic we could get something rather than hoping it is not doing.

Progress yes , finished article, no chance :pipe:

3 minutes ago, bordersbear said:

Never said either of those things. What I'm saying is no one thing or person was to blame. Bad defending, bad misses, poor decision making on many fronts and also bad luck. 

Never said it was one thing said Murty fucked it at that point, Morelos fucked it with his miss also, Goss fucked it multiple times. 

9 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Said it in the game thread - Holt for Goss and Cummings for Windass.

Those subs within minutes of them going down to 10 and things could have been very different. Holt might not be as technically gifted as Goss, but you will definitely notice him on the pitch harrying their midfielders and disrupting their game; and Cummings on the pitch desperate score would've been a big improvement over the empty shirt that was Windass, who could've stayed in the changing rooms for the difference he made in the second half.

1 hour ago, Ibroxholm said:

I agree with you.  I thought we were losing the midfield battle towards the end of the first half and early second half.  At that point, bringing an extra midfield player on was probably the right call.  When they went down to ten men, there was no need to do it as they had effectively lost.a midfielder.

All the pressure at the end of the 1st half could have been broken up by initiating the half time sub as I don’t think Josh should have came out for the 2nd half albeit I can’t  renember Murty doing a ht sub during any game.

12 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

All the pressure at the end of the 1st half could have been broken up by initiating the half time sub as I don’t think Josh should have came out for the 2nd half albeit I can’t  renember Murty doing a ht sub during any game.

He hasn't, it's always around the 70min mark before he changes it. What worries me is murty does not seem to be able to make the changes when the game isn't going our way.

1 hour ago, markem said:

The moment that red card goes up the game is changing. Murty can either make his play first and potentially force BR’s hand or he can have a look and adapt. For me he done neither and the game became very comfortable for our 10 men opponents. 

IMO it was embarrassing, it certainly wasn’t bad luck that determined the outcome and I’m stunned that any Rangers fan could conclude it was. 

As soon as the red card goes up the game has changed and they, and they alone, are forced to adapt.  Apart for the change enforced by Bates, we have our best team on the park at that point, the team that Murty picked originally.   For me it would be stupidity for him to make a change at that point because he has to give his best team the opportunity to do the job.  If after a period, he finds we are struggling we then make the change which, if effective, forces them to have to adapt again.  Making our substitutions before them, shows our hand and means they only have to adapt the once.

I would have more sympathy for your argument about bringing on substitutions if we had a Laudrup or Gascoigne sitting in the bench but we didn’t.  Holt wouldnt have made  a material difference to how we played and the outcome imo. Cummings was the main alternative and if anything we looked less effective when he was on the park.

The defensive errors for the third goal were embarrassing, that is certain.  Morelos miss at the end could also be considered embarrassing (although the fact that he was a matter of a couple of inches at most from being the hero rather than the villain could be construed as a bit unlucky).  When and how Murty used his substitutions Is open to debate (and aren’t we all such experts after the event), It certainly wasn’t embarrassing - it’s complete nonsense to suggest that.