Barry Ferguson - Brenda got lucky.

gmcf

32 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

He hasn't, it's always around the 70min mark before he changes it. What worries me is murty does not seem to be able to make the changes when the game isn't going our way.

That’s what I hated about the bread-man, you react to the game not to certain periods like ht or at set minutes.

I’m sure Walter would do the same with subs on the 70mins.

1 hour ago, AljayBoy said:

Cummings on the pitch desperate score would've been a big improvement over the empty shirt that was Windass, who could've stayed in the changing rooms for the difference he made in the second half.

He created a chance don't you know?

50 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

As soon as the red card goes up the game has changed and they, and they alone, are forced to adapt.  Apart for the change enforced by Bates, we have our best team on the park at that point, the team that Murty picked originally.   For me it would be stupidity for him to make a change at that point because he has to give his best team the opportunity to do the job.  If after a period, he finds we are struggling we then make the change which, if effective, forces them to have to adapt again.  Making our substitutions before them, shows our hand and means they only have to adapt the once.

I would have more sympathy for your argument about bringing on substitutions if we had a Laudrup or Gascoigne sitting in the bench but we didn’t.  Holt wouldnt have made  a material difference to how we played and the outcome imo. Cummings was the main alternative and if anything we looked less effective when he was on the park.

The defensive errors for the third goal were embarrassing, that is certain.  Morelos miss at the end could also be considered embarrassing (although the fact that he was a matter of a couple of inches at most from being the hero rather than the villain could be construed as a bit unlucky).  When and how Murty used his substitutions Is open to debate (and aren’t we all such experts after the event), It certainly wasn’t embarrassing - it’s complete nonsense to suggest that.

We didn’t have a Laudrup or Gazza......is that you Ally? :whistle:

My embarrassment comment was perhaps misleading as it was intended to reflect the result and watching us struggle v 10 men celtic and not specifically subs   - I maintain though the manager played a key part in the outcome of the game, he and a few others he could have expected more from.  

Regarding what would/should have happened at the most pivotal moment of the game (sending off) I think we will need to agree to disagree as we are miles apart.   

For the record mate to a fault I tend (try) to look on the bright side where we are concerned but that was horrific on Sunday and I’m sick of excuses (going back to what this thread is about - luck)  

1 hour ago, thebluedoo said:

I think it was the second goal that killed it, just before half time, it gave them a lift and took the wind right out of us. As for Barry's piece there was some bad luck in the fact Bates got injured and Alfredo not converting a chance he would have 9 out of 10 times. Ifs and buts, at the end of the day we never got any points but we did give them a game, this time I was optimistic we could get something rather than hoping it is not doing.

Progress yes , finished article, no chance :pipe:

I think this has been a bit overlooked with the disappointment of the result . 

Most on here , myself included , were optimistic going into the game . And there was good reason for that , with the form the team were showing going into the game . For the first time in years , i felt we were seeing real progress and we had something substantial to base our expectations on playing them than just hope . 

I don't know if GM is the answer yet , but I'm not going to ignore the improvement since the New Year and condemn him on one game . 

If morelos scores to make it 3 2 to us then I'm confident we would've went on to win and this Rodgers brilliant murty pish point of view wouldn't be happening in the media.There can not be such a country where either its black or white and no in between when it comes to reporting on football. Witness the player scores in the papers on Monday, Rangers best marks averaging 6.5 and the other lot getting 8s all over the place. Its the same on here, if we had won the game everythings rosy. Not saying murty is without fault, and not sure he should get the job but to say he was shown up last week is in my view pish.

55 minutes ago, markem said:

We didn’t have a Laudrup or Gazza......is that you Ally? :whistle:

My embarrassment comment was perhaps misleading as it was intended to reflect the result and watching us struggle v 10 men celtic and not specifically subs   - I maintain though the manager played a key part in the outcome of the game, he and a few others he could have expected more from.  

Regarding what would/should have happened at the most pivotal moment of the game (sending off) I think we will need to agree to disagree as we are miles apart.   

For the record mate to a fault I tend (try) to look on the bright side where we are concerned but that was horrific on Sunday and I’m sick of excuses (going back to what this thread is about - luck)  

Apart from the very narrow margin involved in the Morelos miss, I did not think we were unlucky.  We gave away goals due to bad errors and missed glaring opportinities to score, that was down to bad play in our part not luck.  However, I think BF is correct in what he says,  they were a bit lucky to get away with the result they did given the circumstances.  There is a difference.

Managers are always going to come in for criticism when their team loses.   My view is that the ‘substitution issue’ is being used as a stick to beat Murty largely due to his inexperience compared with his opposite number.  I don’t think that is valid as I’m sure many an experienced manager (for example Walter Smith) would not have made substitutions In similar circumstances.  Of course, that is conjecture on my part, which is largely in keeping with the rest of this thread.

Think his article is more or less correct on this occasion. First time we've played them in years where I felt before kick off that we should be winning the match. I felt that we done enough during the match to beat them. And in hindsight I am absolutely raging we didn't win it.

Murty seems to have the team going 'toe to toe' with them now which I see as a big difference. The competitive edge is there and the games can go either way in the way they used to.

For me Murty deserves a lot of the credit for bringing the team up a level. We still need to improve but who is to say we won't. He's got to the end of the season so that would be the best time to decide on whether he should stay or whether we should we get someone else in. A lot of people have made their minds up which I think is a bit unfair as there is still a lot to play for.

2 hours ago, Siwel said:

Never said it was one thing said Murty fucked it at that point, Morelos fucked it with his miss also, Goss fucked it multiple times. 

How can you know that Murty fucked it? We could physicaly see the mistakes by players but changes made by a manager are all about variables. Did it make a difference or not ? Would Morelos have scored at the end if we had brought Cummins on sooner? If you know please tell me the lottery numbers for Saturday.

44 minutes ago, Loyal Bear 72 said:

Think his article is more or less correct on this occasion. First time we've played them in years where I felt before kick off that we should be winning the match. I felt that we done enough during the match to beat them. And in hindsight I am absolutely raging we didn't win it.

Murty seems to have the team going 'toe to toe' with them now which I see as a big difference. The competitive edge is there and the games can go either way in the way they used to.

For me Murty deserves a lot of the credit for bringing the team up a level. We still need to improve but who is to say we won't. He's got to the end of the season so that would be the best time to decide on whether he should stay or whether we should we get someone else in. A lot of people have made their minds up which I think is a bit unfair as there is still a lot to play for.

Murty still drives me radio with the late substitutions (as did Watty), but listening to his interview post-match he sounded just as exasperated as all of us supporters at our boys dithering when that mob went down to 10 men. Sounds like he was raging for them to be more direct, so I fault the players far more than Murty for letting us down in that match.

Brenda changed to 2 strikers that are dynamic and would occupy the back 4. He sacrificed width. I dont think anyone is claiming he's a genius. He adapted to the situation and they played through us and scored a good goal. 

Same as Murty not being a genius because boyata kicked the ball off Windass who broke through and scored the opening goal. 

You set up with a game plan. You adapt as the game goes on. You rely on the players to concentrate and do their jobs. 

Barry is desperate to stay relevant in the media.

3 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Barry Ferguson in talking pish shocker. 

Rodgers made the right moves when they went down to 10.

We never. 

They took their chances.

we never. 

We had individual errors for all 3 of our goals (as did they) but luck never came into it. 

Spot on

1 hour ago, delparlane said:

Murty still drives me radio with the late substitutions (as did Watty), but listening to his interview post-match he sounded just as exasperated as all of us supporters at our boys dithering when that mob went down to 10 men. Sounds like he was raging for them to be more direct, so I fault the players far more than Murty for letting us down in that match.

Let’s not blur the lines between smith and Murty :p: 

I agree with some of what BF said, Morelos miss is bad luck, compare the team from September 17 shows we are closing the gap due to Murty, Murty is inexperienced and should learn from it,we as a supporters did go into the game more positive than the last 5 years and Rodgers is not a master tactician. Murtys lack of experience came down to making a sub and changing the shape of the team as soon as Rodgers made his substitution. Hopefully this will hurt so much, Murty learns the lesson and never forgets it. Give us a couple of weeks to process this and bring them on again. Rangers players don't fear septic and are now in the business for going in to beat them, not just turning up and hoping for the best. A full strength Rangers and a full strength septic would be a tight game. We have come far and are still improving and learning.

8 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

The man talks bollocks. 

Not entirely, I've seen the taigs go down to ten men a few times in the past and then play better for the rest of the game. 

8 hours ago, StirlingBear72 said:

The only good points were the three points last Sunday, we didn't get them. He's full of it in that article. All if buts and maybes.

Every game swings on ifs, buts, and maybes.

This isn't any rocket science from Bazza, we are all aware brenda is no football genius, most sensible Bears have been more than aware that the tardelli's have been more than vulnerable for the last couple of seasons, hearts proved that, and to some extent luck did raise its ugly head last week but a bheggar game is all about playing the game out until the final whistle, belief, bottle and taking your chances. They scored with 10 men believing they could win, that was our mantra, we need the belief put into the players, whether this present team have got it only time will tell but we need a psychological boost to get the monkey off our back, we need a victory against this mhob, soon.