Lee Wallace Interview

Lloyd

Waldo Will Give His All

Nick ThomsonFriday, 16 March 2018, 11:30

LEE WALLACE has pledged to “dedicate his life” to getting back to optimum condition so he can return to the Rangers’ first-team fold sooner rather than later.

The Ibrox captain has been missing since September, but has stepped up his recovery in recent weeks with a return to full-training and an appearance in a bounce game and an under-20s match.

He knows there is still a bit to go for him to be ready to play for the top team, but he is excited by the prospect of a return given how the team have been playing of late.

Speaking to RangersTV, he said: “There is a lot of hard work there for me before I can make a squad and then try and make it into a starting team.

“It has been good watching on in the respect of how we are attacking and how we can counter-attack. I think that has probably been the strongest aspect of our game since I’ve been watching on. We are very, very fast on the counter-attack and have quick players that can hurt people in key areas, and that has been proven with the goalscoring in the team, and the number of assists certain players have got.

“The two full-backs have done a great job in their own way, although they are obviously different in how they operate.

“I’m different in how I operate, just as Lee Hodson is too. So there is a good array of attributes there to be used in that position if and when needed. So I understand there is a tough process there for me, but I will dedicate my life to making sure I can get back in the best possible condition to try and help the team.”

For as much has he has been impressed with what he has seen on the park, however, Wallace admits simply watching from the stand as opposed to being out with his teammates has been a real challenge for him.

CLICK TO WATCH MORE FROM WALLACE ON RANGERSTV HERE 

He continued: “It’s been extremely difficult whether you are up in the stand or you are watching on TV – you want to be part of things, you want to try and affect things and you want to try and be in and around the dressing room to help your teammates however you can.

“So that has been tough but at the same time you recognise there is learning involved. It’s not just a case of switching off to the games – you are trying to speak with the players and speak with the manager, and look at how you can improve.

“We say after many games there are always improvements to be made, and it’s good we can have those aftermath, post-match chats to try and help that process.

“So for as much as you are not involved, you still want to take a keen interest on what is going on out on the pitch.”

Away from Rangers, Wallace has been delighted to see three of his teammates – Russell Martin, Jamie Murphy and Jason Cummings handed call-ups to the Scotland squad.

And Wallace, capped nine times for his country, knows it’s a stage Gers players need to be impacting on.

He added: “You don’t need me to tell you that’s where Rangers players need to be. I think we have had a knock in the last few years where there is maybe only one or two, but I think we obviously need to try and push forward.

“I think for as long as the guys are doing well here and the international manager recognises that, it gives them the opportunity and these guys can go on and represent the club as best they can both in their daily habits in and around the hotel, but also on the training pitch.

“If they get game time, then great, and hopefully they can stay in there. It’s a big congratulations to them as it’s a big positive both for them as individuals and for us as a team.”

I think lee had been carrying injury for longer than we all realised. A fully fit Lee playing at his best will be a major asset to the club. Some of his performances in the lower leagues where top drawer it's just unfortunate that we where in that position and he didn't get the chance to prove he could play that way against better opponents and surrounded buy better team mates. I hope he has a part to play yet.

Interesting to note how much he rates our counter attacks . 

That for me has been our biggest problem , in that we're better away from home when teams are more attack minded , as opposed to those who sit in deep when they come to Ibrox . 

A bit comforting that they recognise that is something we have to improve upon .