Walter Smith via the bbc

backup

Former Rangers boss Walter Smith says a long-term decision about the manager's position at Ibrox would help the club.

Graeme Murty, after taking charge on an interim basis for a second time last year, was given the job until the end of the season.

Losses to celtic and Kilmarnock have taken Rangers' tally of league defeats to nine - seven on Murty's watch.

"I think it is an important factor for everyone at the club, Graeme Murty as well," said Smith, 70.

'McLeish good enough for first choice'

"The lad has been sitting in the job now for quite a while and you've got that in the back of your head that results one week [means] you can be the manager of Rangers, and everyone says that is a great thing for him, the next they are saying he is not the man for the job.

"So it is not an easy circumstance for him either. He has handled it well.

Murty has won 19 of his 30 games as Rangers manager over two spells, losing nine and drawing with celtic twice

"There is no doubt that one of the major things that will help is the settling down of the managerial situation and the next thing is the rise in the level of player that comes into the club, and that is still required.

"If that can happen, they can get back to a circumstance where, first of all they challenge celtic and then hopefully, if they can go on from there, get back into a winning position on a more regular basis."

Rangers, who will meet Premiership leaders celtic in next month's Scottish Cup semi-final, are second in the league but Aberdeen could move above them by winning their game in hand.

Highlights: Rangers 0-1 Kilmarnock

Having had two spells as Rangers manager, Smith also served as chairman for a brief period during the club's spell in Scotland's lower leagues and believes fans have to be realistic about future aspirations.

"I don't think anyone is going to come with a massive influx of cash to help the team, like at Manchester City or others," he added.

"So a little bit of patience required from everyone, but a steady improvement has to be shown.

"At some stage they have got to find a way to find a level of investment that will help

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43479259

"There is no doubt that one of the major things that will help is the settling down of the managerial situation and the next thing is the rise in the level of player that comes into the club, and that is still required.

"If that can happen, they can get back to a circumstance where, first of all they challenge celtic and then hopefully, if they can go on from there, get back into a winning position on a more regular basis."

What he's really saying is......

1. Get a proper Manager.

2. Sign better players.

3. Fuck The celtic.

3 hours ago, backup said:

"At some stage they have got to find a way to find a level of investment that will help"

Surely the £11m up front offered for Morelos would've been enough investment for a proper manager and 3-4 quality players across the pitch to take us up a level.  I like Morelos but turning down £11m will surely come back to haunt us.  Like it or not, buying young promising players and selling them on for profit is a great way of generating income.  

7 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Surely the £11m up front offered for Morelos would've been enough investment for a proper manager and 3-4 quality players across the pitch to take us up a level.  I like Morelos but turning down £11m will surely come back to haunt us.  Like it or not, buying young promising players and selling them on for profit is a great way of generating income.  

One would surely think so, however things are not always as they seem.

27 minutes ago, backup said:

One would surely think so, however things are not always as they seem.

Aye: offer might be a load of shite, could be exaggerated, could have been over too many instalments, too high an agent's fee, Morelos might have said naw etc

8 minutes ago, Blue72 said:

Aye: offer might be a load of shite, could be exaggerated, could have been over too many instalments, too high an agent's fee, Morelos might have said naw etc

A load of manure, surely you are not serious, after all one man in the whole of the world claims he saw evidence of the offer, still he did originally claim there was no offer. Quite a feat to misplace £millions and then find them hours later !

7 minutes ago, backup said:

A load of manure, surely you are not serious, after all one man in the whole of the world claims he saw evidence of the offer, still he did originally claim there was no offer. Quite a feat to misplace £millions and then find them hours later !

:lol:

Must have picked that trick up from mini me Murray when he was with the Blue Knights ..... Oh! .... wait a minute it was the other round with him ... wasn't it ? ..... and an innocent couch's comfortable reputation was destroyed in an instant never to recover .... :p:

:UK:

34 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

:lol:

Must have picked that trick up from mini me Murray when he was with the Blue Knights ..... Oh! .... wait a minute it was the other round with him ... wasn't it ? ..... and an innocent couch's comfortable reputation was destroyed in an instant never to recover .... :p:

:UK:

An excellent riposte :lol:

11 hours ago, backup said:

Eh?  

Point i was making: none of us know 

20 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

yup said that at the time as well, i think we were crazy to knock that offer back, even the 8m offer

On 3/20/2018 at 19:59, KingKennyMiller said:

What he's really saying is......

1. Get a proper Manager.

2. Sign better players.

3. Fuck The celtic.

I couldn't argue with any of that :Fod:

On 20/03/2018 at 23:18, TMB said:

£8.5m