RIP Ray Wilkins

BryceRFC1

Unrelentingly positive guy, such a change compared to so many lesser pundits who are never happy unless they have things to criticise or moan about. Glad he enjoyed his time here, we certainly enjoyed having him grace the jersey.

RIP Butch?

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many games did he play for us? As a midfielder he probably would not have scored a lot of goals though no doubt he would have assisted in many. The goal though against celtic was amazing.

5 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

He loved us as much as we loved him.

I was watching this a couple of days ago mate, no doubt about his feelings towards Rangers........getting a lump in my throat just thinking about it. Was going to watch it again there but don't think I'd manage till the end........loved the guy.

Thoughts are with his family and friends at this time .

IMO , Ray's absence from our SCF side in 1989 was the main reason we missed out on a treble that season .  A gentleman who always spoke fondly of his time at Rangers . Others have mentioned the ovation he received on his last game against Dunfermline , for me the reception he got when he returned to Ibrox in a hibs shirt some years later spoke volumes for the regard the Rangers support held him in .

Rest easy Ray .

https://Rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/ray-wilkins/

THE THOUGHTS and prayers of everyone at Rangers are with the family and friends of former midfielder Ray Wilkins who has sadly passed away.

Ray spent two years at Ibrox from 1987 to 1989 and was a regular fixture in midfield as he helped lay the foundations of the Souness revolution at Ibrox.

He joined Rangers from Paris Saint-Germain and enjoyed a career that also took him to Italy with AC Milan after spells with both Manchester Utd and Chelsea in his early years.

Ray made just shy of 100 appearances for the Light Blues in his two year spell in Glasgow, but he is fondly remembered by the Rangers support for a stunning Old Firm goal in August 1988.

He drove a stunning right-foot volley into the top corner to help the Light Blues on their way to a 5-1 victory.

Ray collected two League Championship and one League Cup medal during his two seasons at the club and was inducted in to the club’s Hall of Fame for his contribution.

8 minutes ago, Bluetiful said:

How many games did he play for us? As a midfielder he probably would not have scored a lot of goals though no doubt he would have assisted in many. The goal though against celtic was amazing.

70 appearances. 2 goals.

43 minutes ago, Billythebear77 said:

I saw him a couple off times when I was a laddie playing for us, he strolled it up here, he’ll always be remembered for this

RIP Butch ???

Very sad indeed at only 61 which is no age now.  WATP Ray! Rest In Peace.  

Archived