RIP Ray Wilkins

BryceRFC1

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel Quashie has paid an emotional tribute to Rangers legend Ray Wilkins after the 61-year-old died earlier today.

Wilkins was the former Scotland star's manager as he broke through at QPR and gave him his first team debut and the midfielder told the story of his debut which tugs on the heartstrings and epitomises the class act Wilkins was.

Quashie was just a 17-year-old when he made his QPR debut away to Manchester United and his story of the debut is a heartwarming one.

In an Instagram post he said: "I will always be proud to say how lucky I am to have been coached, managed and even meet you. If it wasn't for you I would never have started my career playing football and will never forget going to Manchester United as a YTS trainee to do all the kit and boots in the changing room for the first team squad

"1 hr 30 mins before kick off you name the team and I was in it, I didn't even get to think about it because all you said was you're number 18, here are your boots and shin pads, just go and play, have fun and treat it like you're over the park with your mates.

"My mum never had a mobile phone back then because we couldn't afford anything like that and everything went through her work or home phone. I asked you after the game if I could call home to speak to her, you said use my mobile and call this number, it was my mum on the other end of the line and she said she was outside by the away team bus.

"I went outside to see her and asked how did you get here because I knew she couldn't afford it. She told me Ray had got the club to pay for her train ticket to come to the game and then Ray got the club to give us our first mobile phone in life durin gthe week and he wanted to surprise me knowing I was making my debut. I was given a chance by Ray Wilkins, one of the legends of the game and to this day you are the first person I mention when it comes to football and that will never change.

"You will be missed so much not just in the football world but as a real human being with such class. Thanks for everything and my thoughts go to all the family. Sleep well Sir Ray Wilkins."

Can only echo the comments of Ally that first and fore most we have lost a wonderful human being in Ray Wilkins. 

Apart from being a exceptionally gifted midfielder the man was an absolute gentleman. Anytime he spoke he commanded respect and I can't ever recall him saying a bad word about anyone. 

He had a genuine affection for our club and I'm truely sorry to hear of his passing today,  R. I. P. Ray you will be sorely missed by the Rangers support and beyond. 

1 hour ago, Smile said:

Nigel Quashie has paid an emotional tribute to Rangers legend Ray Wilkins after the 61-year-old died earlier today.

Wilkins was the former Scotland star's manager as he broke through at QPR and gave him his first team debut and the midfielder told the story of his debut which tugs on the heartstrings and epitomises the class act Wilkins was.

Quashie was just a 17-year-old when he made his QPR debut away to Manchester United and his story of the debut is a heartwarming one.

In an Instagram post he said: "I will always be proud to say how lucky I am to have been coached, managed and even meet you. If it wasn't for you I would never have started my career playing football and will never forget going to Manchester United as a YTS trainee to do all the kit and boots in the changing room for the first team squad

"1 hr 30 mins before kick off you name the team and I was in it, I didn't even get to think about it because all you said was you're number 18, here are your boots and shin pads, just go and play, have fun and treat it like you're over the park with your mates.

"My mum never had a mobile phone back then because we couldn't afford anything like that and everything went through her work or home phone. I asked you after the game if I could call home to speak to her, you said use my mobile and call this number, it was my mum on the other end of the line and she said she was outside by the away team bus.

"I went outside to see her and asked how did you get here because I knew she couldn't afford it. She told me Ray had got the club to pay for her train ticket to come to the game and then Ray got the club to give us our first mobile phone in life durin gthe week and he wanted to surprise me knowing I was making my debut. I was given a chance by Ray Wilkins, one of the legends of the game and to this day you are the first person I mention when it comes to football and that will never change.

"You will be missed so much not just in the football world but as a real human being with such class. Thanks for everything and my thoughts go to all the family. Sleep well Sir Ray Wilkins."

That's a sincere and personal tribute. 

I appear to have something in my eye ?

Very sad news.

Ray Wilkins played before my time so I can only go on footage I have seen online and he seemed a classy player as well as a classy gentleman. Anytime you hear him talk about us you can hear the admiration he had for the club. I'm pretty sure he considered his time with us his happiest as well.

Pretty gut wrenching to think that this thread was started only a week and a half ago by someone discussing the possibilities of bringing Ray in to the coaching staff. Just goes to show how well thought of he was still to this day as not only a football man but also as a Rangers man.

Guy called into Talksport tonight saying he was somewhere with his mate (in a hotel bar I think) when the Man United team came in having just won the FA Cup. After a while, Wilkins spots the two starstruck guys and said “follow me, lads”

Took them through a corridor then into another room and there was the FA cup.

”Go on”, says Wilkins, “pick it up”. So the guys grab one handle each and lift it up as Wilkins applauds them. The guy was getting quite emotional telling the story but it sums up exactly what a true gentleman Wilkins was.

Tragic loss of one of the good guys.

Was my favourite ever Rangers player until Brian Laudrup arrived. 

Like a few other oldies on here I was underwhelmed when we signed him but after 2-3 games that changed. He was a wonderful footballer. His vision and passing was exceptional. Always remember a game at the Theatre of Screams he ran the show. Every time he seemed to get on the ball the sellick team team stopped! He had that ability and respect. And of course, as many many others have said, he was a class act off the park too. 

He was here only 18months or so yet is in our Hall of Fame - says it all really. 

RIP Razor, not just a Rangers Legend, a football legend 

Archived