Bates is off

jjbscotty12

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

He was vastly overrated by our fans.  He's largely unproven and there's just as much chance of him being a flop as there is a success.  If Bates primary interest was money then good luck to him and I hope he fills his coffers over in Germany.

I’d bet he was after a lot more than we were willing to pay on the back of a decent run of form and whilst I accept that’s a guess I’d support the club on that - could we go on to regret it? Yes we could however fuck handing out lucrative four year deals on the back of decent form. 

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is OK, not good enough for where we want to be. 

If anything it shows how far Hamburg have fallen. Clearly now going for Bundesliga 2 standard players.

He would have zero place in a FdB team too, if he is to be the new manager. 

We have been guilty of showcasing a young talent without tieing him down.

Bates will not have been on big money, and after breaking into the first team should have been offered a suitable 3-4yr deal, again at that stage he would not be wanting mega bucks. If he refused to sign, we don't showcase his talent and put him in the shop window.

We have been allowing a young player to flourish, who is out of contract almost as soon as he becomes established within the team. That's not good business - indeed it is idiotic.

Just now, markem said:

I’d bet he was after a lot more than we were willing to pay on the back of a decent run of form and whilst I accept that’s a guess I’d support the club on that - could we go on to regret it? Yes we could however fuck handing out lucrative four year deals on the back of decent form. 

Wanted 9k, we offered 7k & Hamburg offered 10k.

According to his uncle, from a boy on FF. 

Just now, cushynumber said:

the problem with us developing our players is that - as soon as they look decent - they are off for better wages. Good luck to the lad - he could certainly defend - but fucking hell this feels like a sore one.

I'd have said normally it's more about a stable environment than wages. But Hamburg's not exactly stable these days. 

Either way, we need to develop a stable, competent environment, because the only way we can compete with better wages is by saying 'look at how good we are at funneling well rounded young players into the EPL (or similar), you'll earn less for a year or two, but thereafter you'll be on the path to gold'. To show them that Rangers can develop players better than the teams willing to pay them a couple of grand more.

Disappointed to hear this.  Certainly the best defender we have at the present time and with the potential to develop into a really good CB.  

Still, it will be no problem to us to go out and bring in a better CB.  Just like we managed to do last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before, ....

1 minute ago, CoatbridgeBear said:

Ex Newcastle Paul Huntingdon? Fuck this am out

Probably one of hundreds we've scouted since the DoF came in. Unless FLHAD has any other info then he could quite easily be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.

1 minute ago, PRW. said:

He is OK, not good enough for where we want to be. 

If anything it shows how far Hamburg have fallen. Clearly now going for Bundesliga 2 standard players.

He would have zero place in a FdB team too, if he is to be the new manager. 

In what does it show that at all? He’s a young centre half who’s improvement rate has been absolutely rapid in the last year and has proven himself in the Old Firm. He’s only going to get better and he’ll be a full international in a season.

More so, I’m gonna have to hold back on dismissing the standard of Bundesliga 2 when we’re playing our games in this cesspit.

Has come on greatly this season . A pity we could not have sorted something with him, however it looks a good deal for him - a 4 yr contract. . I wish him all the best. It will be interesting to see who we get in as CBs next season . From the start of this season we have now lost 2 CBs. Alvers and Cardoso have not impressed , neither has Martin. We must be looking at a minimum of 3 CBs in during the close season. That will not be easy. 

Letting Wilson and Bates go for peanuts in a relatively short space of time when we've currently got the likes of Alves, Cardoso, and Martin to choose from seems like an enormous oversight. I'm not sure either one of them were ever going to set the world alight but - factoring in talent, potential, and commitment - the quality of our centre-defensive options has dipped considerably in six months. 

3 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

We got a fee for every single one of those players and collectively between all done nothing for their new clubs. 

Billy Gilmour is 16.

Hugely disappointing that he’s not broken into that Chelsea team ahead of Kante or Fabregas yet..

4 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Wanted 9k, we offered 7k & Hamburg offered 10k.

According to his uncle, from a boy on FF. 

If (emphasise if) that was the case, then I can understand us being reluctant to deal.

Stillt hink we should have had it sorted out before it came to these kinds of figures, though. The DoF and the staff are supposed to have the foresight to avoid these kinds of situations. To see a player mice and early and get them signed up on favourable terms.

Archived