Rumours at this stage

29 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I hate saying it but this is how O'Neill got the better of advocaat when we had the superior team that could play great football. We need to try and do the same now we're on the backfoot. 

This is it exactly.  celtic are good on the deck but if we play a 3-5-2 and put 3CBs and a target man in their box each time we have a corner or set-piece how are they going to cope with it?  It's not pretty but heading the ball in the net is worth the same as a goal that comes from a beautiful passage of play.  I remember when Advocaat's team came up against MONs side we absolutely dreaded giving away a free-kick in our own half because their CBs would run right up the pitch and the long ball would be fired in to our box.

A good shot stopping keeper, three commanding CBs (Alves could be one), and two very physical and competitive CDMs in the heart of midfield.  We have the quality of full-backs to provide the width all we need is a target man next to Morelos or Cummings and the best CAM we can afford.  That strategy is far more realistic than trying to go 4-3-3 and outplay celtic at their own game with a group of inferior footballers.  

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all well and good mentioning de Boer's net spend but let's not forget he also had the talents of one of the best acadamies in the world at his disposal.

During his time with Ajax there was Alderweireld (7 mil), Vertonghen (12 mil), Eriksen (13.5 mil), Anita (8.5 mil), Van der Wiel (5.5 mil), Stekelenburg (6.5 mil), de Jong (7.5 mil) & Blind (17.5 mil). Then you add talent who left after he did such as El Ghazi (5 mil), Cillisen (13 mil), Fisher 5 (mil) & Klaassen (27 mil).

No doubt he developed those players but at Rangers he will not have this luxury and his record in the transfer window wasn't great at Ajax outwith Milik and hilariously duping celtic for Boerigter.

7 minutes ago, TMB said:

This is it exactly.  celtic are good on the deck but if we play a 3-5-2 and put 3CBs and a target man in their box each time we have a corner or set-piece how are they going to cope with it?  It's not pretty but heading the ball in the net is worth the same as a goal that comes from a beautiful passage of play.  I remember when Advocaat's team came up against MONs side we absolutely dreaded giving away a free-kick in our own half because their CBs would run right up the pitch and the long ball would be fired in to our box.

A good shot stopping keeper, three commanding CBs (Alves could be one), and two very physical and competitive CDMs in the heart of midfield.  We have the quality of full-backs to provide the width all we need is a target man next to Morelos or Cummings and the best CAM we can afford.  That strategy is far more realistic than trying to go 4-3-3 and outplay celtic at their own game with a group of inferior footballers.  

It reminds me of an interview with Kevin Thomson where he said about Walter telling him if he wasn’t booked in the first 10 minutes he was getting hooked! He goes on to say that they knew they weren’t as good as the tarriers so they bullied them to give them the edge! You do whatever it takes to win, regardless of how pretty it is! 

17 minutes ago, TMB said:

It's a myth that celtic are some sort of Man City esque free flowing football team. They've got brown as their deepest midfielder who can't pass forward and has to drop between his centre backs where he's not pressed, and play sideways passes from there. The right back is awful. Boyata plays like Marvin Andrews. Armstrong is a competent and strong running midfielder, mcgregor and Forrest have energy and a bit of pace, Dembele is future Norwich City player. 

They are just the least shit team in a country of shit teams. Don't let their cheerleaders in the Scottish media convince you they're something else.  

It's more than possible to outplay them. Just not with our our current squad or management. 

1 hour ago, TMB said:

celtic have a far superior squad and have been developing that 4-3-3 playstyle for two years now.  Even if De Boer was brought in we can't afford to give him the player assets or time needed to play the fancy passing football and beat them.  They're to far in front in that respect.

We're better off going with a counter attacking style using big physical players that can bully teams and make the most of set-pieces.

In a way I actually think that’s what Caixinha wanted to do.

I think his “plan” was to have two deep midfielders with Jack as a destroyer and Dorrans as the playmaker with advanced full backs and wingers who were to look to get balls into the ball early for Herrera to win in the air and if that didn’t work have Morelos/Pena feeding off the scraps.

Folk going on about them not being that great again like they have done for years. They are light years better than us and that's in second gear.  They don't even need to spend money but when they decide to then where does that leave us?

We will bully fuck all, we are a team of bottlers and pussies. Bringing in a dinosaur manager and building a side of hammer throwers will achieve fuck all too 

Delusional pish on here 

Just now, The Godfather said:

Folk going on about them not being that great again like they have done for years. They are light years better than us and that's in second gear.  They don't even need to spend money but when they decide to then where does that leave us?

We will bully fuck all, we are a team of bottlers and pussies. Bringing in a dinosaur manager and building a side of hammer throwers will achieve fuck all too 

Delusional pish on here 

Said on another thread that they could have put out a second eleven that could handily have beaten us yesterday: Bain, Compper, Hendry, Simunovic, Roberts, Biton, Kouassi, Armstrong, Sinclair, Edouard, Griffiths.

We are fucking miles away from them and anybody who thinks a manager is going to come in wave a magic wand and turn guys who have been serial losers for years now into winners are just kidding themselves on.

20 minutes ago, gsa said:

It's a myth that celtic are some sort of Man City esque free flowing football team. They've got brown as their deepest midfielder who can't pass forward and has to drop between his centre backs where he's not pressed, and play sideways passes from there. The right back is awful. Boyata plays like Marvin Andrews. Armstrong is a competent and strong running midfielder, mcgregor and Forrest have energy and a bit of pace, Dembele is future Norwich City player. 

They are just the least shit team in a country of shit teams. Don't let their cheerleaders in the Scottish media convince you they're something else.  

It's more than possible to outplay them. Just not with our our current squad or management. 

Matters not, we remain miles behind them and as said, not one of ours would make their team. It's all relevant.

7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

In a way I actually think that’s what Caixinha wanted to do.

I think his “plan” was to have two deep midfielders with Jack as a destroyer and Dorrans as the playmaker with advanced full backs and wingers who were to look to get balls into the ball early for Herrera to win in the air and if that didn’t work have Morelos/Pena feeding off the scraps.

It sounds good in theory, but you can't do it with the shite he signed. Likewise Warburton too as he had the right idea at times but not the level of player to pull it off.

To do it like that and effectively we need another Advocaat revolution with the 50-million and make the likes of Numan and Van Bronckhorst the first signings, then add the other pieces like Mols, Reyna, Tugay, McCann, Klos and discover two solid, talented center backs like Moore and Amoruso.

That's where Pedro and Warburton failed in that their idea of what was good football and needed done wasn't too bad, but they were too ignorant to change it, adapt different styles and above all else realise that it can't done with the likes of Holt, Halliday, Tavernier, Jack, Waghorn.

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Who out of our squad would thrive if we adopted a direct lump it forward approach?

You're talking about gutting the whole squad and bringing in eleven or twelve new faces.

A large portion of our squad already needs to be cleared out and replaced.  Most would already agree that we need a couple of CBs and the midfield three needs replaced with guys who have more fight and physicality about them.  

Let's assume we played a 3-5-2.  We have Wallace and John who can play wing-back on the left.  Tavernier and Candieas to play wing-back on the right.  We need two new CBs assuming Alves would be the third.  The team needs two competitive CDMs to play in midfield and fight like lions.  Murphy could potentially be the CAM with someone big, like a Louis Moult, acting as strike partner for Morelos or Cummings.  This would turn us in to a big physical 3-5-2 that would out muscle teams, wouldn't concede many goals, would score from set-pieces, and could play a counter attacking style when needed.

We can play a 3-5-2 but we need to recruit guys who are physically big and competitive during the summer.  Finding guys who are physically big and competitive by nature is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying silky wingers and CM who spray the ball around intricately.  Going 3-5-2 is arguably more realistic in terms of budget than trying to pull off a possession based 4-3-3.

I think the frustrating thing and why folk mention "they're not that great" is because the majority of their current squad wouldn't get into Burns' team never mind O'Neill's and yet they're lauded like they're ballon d'or contenders.

I thought we had closed the gap massively but Sunday proved otherwise. Having said that not one of our players turned up so we're comparing us at our absolute worst to them on a good day.

22 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Who out of our squad would thrive if we adopted a direct lump it forward approach?

You're talking about gutting the whole squad and bringing in eleven or twelve new faces.

Hearts and Aberdeen take that sort of approach and how successful have they been with it?

I’s Settle for the result Hertz got, once in a while....

Anyone else think John McGinn would be a steal at 2-3 million? As much as he is of the dark side at the moment he'd be to us what the cunt brown has been to the bheasts for the last number of years. Get in a quality central defender and forward and form the spine we require. Steal a march on the cunts.

Just now, sondicklg said:

Anyone else think John McGinn would be a steal at 2-3 million? As much as he is of the dark side at the moment he'd be to us what the cunt brown has been to the bheasts for the last number of years. Get in a quality central defender and forward and form the spine we require.

I think I'd rather another drubbing than see that taig fuck in my team.

He is honestly a vile wee fuckpig 

Just now, HG5 said:

I’s Settle for the result Hertz got, once in a while....

I thought that post would get that reply, but I mean successful in general. Hearts have presumably spent more money on recruitment than Hibs. They take a direct physical approach to football typical of Levein whereas Hibs are a footballing side. Who's doing better?

celtic also have plenty of physical players who can stand up to that sort of challenge when they need to, but they can play as well.

We absolutely do need to add men capable of going to war when required, but they need to be good footballers first and foremost. We will get nowhere if it's just a direct hammer thrower approach that we take.

4 minutes ago, sondicklg said:

Anyone else think John McGinn would be a steal at 2-3 million? As much as he is of the dark side at the moment he'd be to us what the cunt brown has been to the bheasts for the last number of years. Get in a quality central defender and forward and form the spine we require. Steal a march on the cunts.

Decent player but I don't want any of them in my team. I don't trust the fuckers and the chances are he'd do another O'Halloran, not bother his arse with us but take 8k a week for 3 or 4 years. Plus we shouldn't be giving Hibs especially that type of money for anycunt. We shouldn't throw our cash about Scottish football after we've been treated especially 3 to 5 million ... they can fuck off.

9 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I think the frustrating thing and why folk mention "they're not that great" is because the majority of their current squad wouldn't get into Burns' team never mind O'Neill's and yet they're lauded like they're ballon d'or contenders.

I thought we had closed the gap massively but Sunday proved otherwise. Having said that not one of our players turned up so we're comparing us at our absolute worst to them on a good day.

Really?!

You didn't notice a difference in class then yesterday. You missed everyone of them taking the piss out of us from beginning to end. 

They fucked us at Ibrox with ten men and two up front and even took their foot off the gas. Then there was 5-1.

Can you tell us which one of our players would get anywhere near their line up?

You want to forecast a result at the scumdome in two weeks?

24 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Said on another thread that they could have put out a second eleven that could handily have beaten us yesterday: Bain, Compper, Hendry, Simunovic, Roberts, Biton, Kouassi, Armstrong, Sinclair, Edouard, Griffiths.

We are fucking miles away from them and anybody who thinks a manager is going to come in wave a magic wand and turn guys who have been serial losers for years now into winners are just kidding themselves on.

The tarriers' starting 11 yesterday contained only 2 players signed by Rodgers. 

Undoubtedly we need some much higher quality of players in certain areas of the pitch but it shouldn't be underestimated how important getting a high quality coach in can be.

Just now, K.A.I said:

Decent player but I don't want any of them in my team. I don't trust the fuckers and the chances are he'd do another O'Halloran, not bother his arse with us but take 8k a week for 3 or 4 years. Plus we shouldn't be giving Hibs especially that type of money for anycunt. We shouldn't throw our cash about Scottish football after we've been treated especially 3 to 5 million ... they can fuck off.

Fair points lads, just thinking with my head not my heart as we look to the next campaign to beat the taigs.

Just now, Blue Avenger said:

Really?!

You didn't notice a difference in class then yesterday. You missed everyone of them taking the piss out of us from beginning to end. 

They fucked us at Ibrox with ten men and two up front and even took their foot off the gas. Then there was 5-1.

Can you tell us which one of our players would get anywhere near their line up?

You want to forecast a result at the scumdome in two weeks?

We have never been near them. We fluked a couple of draws when they were off the boil but we haveng touched them in years. 

They didn't even have to try on su day and still fucked us. The wee bald thumb was cutting anout like Robinho keeping the ball up on his nose while Brown was waltzing past everyone like he was in his prime.

We are a shit show and at the levels of Aberdeen and Hivs now, probably below them. 

Archived