Performing bear at Russian match is 'inhumane'

CooperSF

Footage of a bear performing in front of fans before a Russian league match has been condemned as "shocking and inhumane" by animal welfare groups.

A YouTube video showed circus bear 'Tim' hand the ball to the referee before the third-tier game between Mashuk-KMV and Angusht in Pyatigorsk.

The bear is then seen clapping to fans while stood on his hind legs.

Fifa denied claims from the away side that the bear was to be used in the opening ceremony of the World Cup.

Russia hosts the 2018 World Cup from 14 June.

"In addition to being inhumane and utterly out of touch, using a bear as a captive servant to deliver a football is downright dangerous," Elisa Allen, director of animal welfare charity Peta, said.

"The bear is the symbol of Russia, so we hope the country's people will show some compassion and national pride and stop abusing them. Common decency should compel the league to pull this stunt."

The incident was cited as an example of animal exploitation that is still prevalent around the world.

"While some supposedly find this depressing scene 'entertaining' there is nothing at all light-hearted about this kind of abuse," Brian da Cal, country director of Four Paws UK, added.

"Bears are wild animals and as such have very specific and complex needs.

"Being chained up, muzzled and forced to perform unnatural acts in front of large, rowdy crowds of people causes tremendous stress and can have an untold impact on these animals, both psychological and physical."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43783325

At least Tim performs for a paying crowd...

About 10 years ago worked with an Albanian, who told me how much he used to enjoy the dancing bear at the local fair I was quite shocked and asked if the bear was tethered and chained and he said yes, without any real emotion or reaction and he was still smiling at his inocent childhood memories. 

So there's the problem, different cultures see things differently and many accept their traditions as standard, and unfortunately many of these traditions threaten the natural ways of animals. 

And even our culture accepts abuse of animals as a culture. Badger baiting, cock fighting all go on around this country, the police don't really get involved. Then there's even events in our cultural calendars where the traditions mean more than the needless suffering, fox hunting of course, and I noticed that there was much happiness that the horse at the Grand National at Aintree who got injured wasn't shot. Not much mention that another horse had to be shot earlier in the week.

So what do you do ?

Yo u get angry. Yes. You accept that different cultures in different countries abuse animals in their own ways. Yes again.     

What you do to try and prevent these ?   Highlight them, explain why they are wrong morally, and if you feel strongly write or email the relevant embassies, email the president of the Russian football club. Some might say boycott these countries, personally I think it's better to visit and explain your feelings, communicate with like minded people in those countries with support, explain why it is wrong and gain their respect.

That bear is almost certainly drugged and tranquilised, and will be kept chained and probably drugged at "home".  God knows how many admonishments and punishment he had before he learned to perform the clapping trick.

Any worse than what you see at deep sea world or in zoo's? 

We all know keeping killer whales, massive animals in tiny tanks, is wrong. Keeping multiple sharks in small enclosures. Parrots in small cages. Lions and tigers and bears (oh my) in pathetically small enclosures 

cute as fuck but... 

1 hour ago, orangecountry said:

Any worse than what you see at deep sea world or in zoo's? 

We all know keeping killer whales, massive animals in tiny tanks, is wrong. Keeping multiple sharks in small enclosures. Parrots in small cages. Lions and tigers and bears (oh my) in pathetically small enclosures 

cute as fuck but... 

Of course it's worse ffs the whales, lions etc don't get battered and tortured into doing tricks, they're expected to sit there in cages, tanks and plains of grass so people can look at them. There's an argument for them not being in captivity, but captivity doesn't equal torture and physical abuse.

11 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Of course it's worse ffs the whales, lions etc don't get battered and tortured into doing tricks, they're expected to sit there in cages, tanks and plains of grass so people can look at them. There's an argument for them not being in captivity, but captivity doesn't equal torture and physical abuse.

Have you seen black fish? It's on net flix 

10 minutes ago, orangecountry said:

Exactly my point. More than one form of torture

The vast majority of animals are born in captivity though, so there's not much seperation going on.

In that case, is farming cruel? do you refuse to eat meat in protest? ... or owned a dog? because the puppies get seperated from their mothers at a young age too.

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

The vast majority of animals are born in captivity though, so there's not much seperation going on.

In that case, is farming cruel? do you refuse to eat meat in protest? ... or owned a dog? because the puppies get seperated from their mothers at a young age too.

Is farming cruel? Yes. Battery chickens, locked up in tiny enclosures fed to extremes. 

Do I eat meat? Yes. Doesn't mean I agree with the practices from farm to plate. 

Remember, my point is a trained bear is little different from any other performing monkey you'll see in zoo's etc.