Alastair Johnston statement proves Rangers board are out of touch and simply don't care

The Dude

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

After predictions we'd win the league and suggestions Murty should be made permanent manager, it's good to see a sensible article which I can actually agree with.

Without getting too far into it - it wasn't a prediction. I said in it that they were still massive favourites but given the spending and everything else going into the campaign before a ball had been kicked then our expectation level should be that we win the title. I'll expect us to win it next season too. And the season after.

Just now, The Dude said:

Without getting too far into it - it wasn't a prediction. I said in it that they were still massive favourites but given the spending and everything else going into the campaign before a ball had been kicked then our expectation level should be that we win the title. I'll expect us to win it next season too. And the season after.

Did the record knock you back then? 

2 minutes ago, Gazza1212 said:

Yep can't disagree with that but with the exception of the last paragraph.

We only deserve better if we actually do something about it. 

I understand this sentiment but disagree. We're football fans. We shouldn't need to be militant over who and how the club is being run. Football isn't about which teams fans keep the closest watch over what the board are doing but what goes on on the pitch.

Personally I think they care but are totally out of touch with the supporters.  They care in that they probably believe that have the best interests of the club at heart and are doing the right things.  Ask most fans and they tell them they were miles off.

Just now, bob1873 said:

Personally I think they care but are totally out of touch with the supporters.  They care in that they probably believe that have the best interests of the club at heart and are doing the right things.  Ask most fans and they tell them they were miles off.

I care about the club, but I wouldn’t even start to think about running it. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not how I recall it.

Hmm revisionism.

"With hindsight, that was probably a bit ridiculous but, at the risk of looking ridiculous next year, I really think Rangers can win the title this season.

It's maybe just blind optimism but, after 25 years of going through this same thing every summer, you get used to expecting to win titles and lift cups and this season is no different.

I expect Rangers to win the league. They might not win it, and if they don't I'm sure I'll have this screenshotted and sent to me, but they have a much better chance than they did 12 months ago.

But then really thinking and expecting is predicting in my book . Your editor's too based on his blurb after title

Title: I expect Rangers to take the title from celtic this season and here is why - Rangers blogger

Our Gers blogger James Black sticks his neck on the line with this bold prediction.

1 minute ago, bob1873 said:

I'll be honest on this one, the headline isn't mine but (I assume) is taken from one of my comments in it saying they 'don't care what fans think.' Personally, I think that's a more accurate description than simply they don't care.

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Not how I recall it.

Hmm revisionism.

"With hindsight, that was probably a bit ridiculous but, at the risk of looking ridiculous next year, I really think Rangers can win the title this season.

It's maybe just blind optimism but, after 25 years of going through this same thing every summer, you get used to expecting to win titles and lift cups and this season is no different.

I expect Rangers to win the league. They might not win it, and if they don't I'm sure I'll have this screenshotted and sent to me, but they have a much better chance than they did 12 months ago.

But then really thinking and expecting is predicting in my book . Your editor's too based on his blurb after title

Title: I expect Rangers to take the title from celtic this season and here is why - Rangers blogger

Our Gers blogger James Black sticks his neck on the line with this bold prediction.

I think Rangers 'CAN' win the league, not 'WILL' win the league. It was a response to stuff at the time saying the target should be second and we should just leave celtic to it and not focus on going for the title.

I understand this sentiment but disagree. We're football fans. We shouldn't need to be militant over who and how the club is being run. Football isn't about which teams fans keep the closest watch over what the board are doing but what goes on on the pitch.

It chokes me to make comparison to them but the similarities to their situation in the 90's just can't be ignored. 

Look where both clubs are now and then consider what you've said above . You get what you deserve in this life and football is no different. Like it or not their present situation was initiated by supporters pressure. 

Just now, Gazza1212 said:

It chokes me to make comparison to them but the similarities to their situation in the 90's just can't be ignored. 

Look where both clubs are now and then consider what you've said above . You get what you deserve in this life and football is no different. Like it or not their present situation was initiated by supporters pressure. 

I made the comparison to someone last year on Twitter and was told it was nothing like it, bizarrerly. It's almost a mirror image of where they were. Their resolution was initiated by pressure but on the flipside, I wouldn't argue they deserved to go through that as a result of prior inaction.

I think Rangers 'CAN' win the league, not 'WILL' win the league. It was a response to stuff at the time saying the target should be second and we should just leave celtic to it and not focus on going for the title.

It was I REALLY think Rangers can.

But hey I'm sure every one else sees that as an expectation not a prediction, rather than an author backtracking on anticipation of those screen shots.

16 minutes ago, bob1873 said:

So they are fantasists, the board that is.

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

It was I REALLY think Rangers can.

But hey I'm sure every one else sees that as an expectation not a prediction, rather than an author backtracking on anticipation of those screen shots.

People can see it however they want to, I'm telling you what was intended by it as the person who wrote it. If I was predicting Rangers were going to win it I would have said I really think Rangers will win it rather than can. Can is used because I felt we were genuinely capable of winning the title with some luck going our way. And expand on that more in the rest of the article. Although, I'm sure we had this same conversation 9 months ago or whenever it was published