Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The English positivity around this has completely swamped the Scottish MSM negativity.

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, McKissock said:

Just cannot get my head around this appointment tbh. Along with qualities that Allen/the board think Gerrard might have, maybe they're gambling on the fact Gerrard worked with Rodgers and thinks that will give him some sort of opportunity to undermine Rodgers' team - I think that's a massive stretch but, what other reasons are there in favour of appointing another youth coach? Gerrard's profile might see us sign a higher calibre of player? Emphasis on might.

The whole thing just seems bizarre to me. Since Warburton I've been hoping for someone with experience - it seems to be the key thing missing in the dugout. For some reason we're desperate to avoid someone with experience, trying to be clever and thinking outside the box with each appointment.

I think the biggest effect Gerrard would have is mentality motivation and standards. Gerrard would accept nothing less than 100% in those departments which would be an instant improvement over murty and to be honest I would imagine the players would give that bit extra for someone like Gerrard. Obviously they should give that every game but murty doesn't in still that it seems.

9 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

He'd be as well getting the boots out.

At 36 why not? Him and Gerard, middle of park :bow:

Did not when googling Alonso that he is up to his neck in Tax issues, hadn’t known that. 

Have a feeling now it’s all going to fall through, just a guess though.

Tbf we have been wanting a manager with passion who will demand everything from every single player and Gerrard will bring that obviously he will. 

It’s just his tactical awareness and knowledge and his awareness of the transfer market I’m worried about and that’s clearly a major part of the game.

Also his attitude towards the Scottish game as well. If he comes up here like Warburton and thinks he can get away with signing absolute bog standard pish from league 1 and 2 he can forget it. He has to understand the ins and outs of the game here and the need for quality players. 

1 minute ago, ClydebankBearWATP said:

I think the biggest effect Gerrard would have is mentality motivation and standards. Gerrard would accept nothing less than 100% in those departments which would be an instant improvement over murty and to be honest I would imagine the players would give that bit extra for someone like Gerrard. Obviously they should give that every game but murty doesn't in still that it seems.

I don't think we are looking for a manager, I think we are looking for a 1st team coach that can in still a sense of belief and commitment in players rather that systems. Perhaps Gerrard is just that man and his coaching team is the right team. Gerrard and xabi Alonso would be quite something.

You could put any one in charge but with no backing financially they’d be fucked and we would just muddle on mediocre as fuck.

Stevie g will bring a standard and mentality of winning not one  of not going out there to loose like so many other people linked with us could and would do 

the problem will be with recruiting players does he even want Scott Arfield as a player??? He’s got him like it or not, I couldn’t work like that!!! This will be the conversations being had.

26 minutes ago, ClydebankBearWATP said:

Fair point but what happens when the players can't do what comes naturally to Gerrard - what is his reaction. We have seen some great players like Adams not make the grade.

34 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Tbf we have been wanting a manager with passion who will demand everything from every single player and Gerrard will bring that obviously he will. 

It’s just his tactical awareness and knowledge and his awareness of the transfer market I’m worried about and that’s clearly a major part of the game.

Also his attitude towards the Scottish game as well. If he comes up here like Warburton and thinks he can get away with signing absolute bog standard pish from league 1 and 2 he can forget it. He has to understand the ins and outs of the game here and the need for quality players. 

We've had a manager who wanted to play fancy football but got quickly found out and was too stubborn and arrogant to change. 

Then we had a donkey who didn't know what he was doing but wasn't scared to take a hard line with players (Miller and fish fingers Magoo). 

Then we had Murty who was too nice to get tore into certain players and shit scared to make changes. 

Now we'll have a manager who could have good contacts, won't take any shite from players (allegedly) but has done nothing to earn the job and will most likely be sacked in 6-12 months for a lack of managerial experience. 

We never ever do anything the right way. 

Prso's headband likes this

Tactically flexible Gerrard can help Rangers end celtic dominance

Steven Gerrard could be patrolling the Ibrox touchline next season if recent reports are to be believed. Rangers, seemingly unconvinced by the job interim manager Graeme Murty is doing, want to appoint the Liverpool legend as their next permanent boss. 

It’s an ambitious move on their part. It’s high risk but high reward and it puts Rangers in something of a win-win situation.

If Gerrard, who has limited experience as a coach having only been appointed the manager of Liverpool’s Under-18s at the start of the season, is able to spark a resurgence to rival celtic then it will be seen as a masterstroke by Dave King. 

However, if the one-time Captain Marvel stumbles and fails to put a stop to the Bhoys’ monopoly of the Scottish Premiership, the Gers will still have benefited from Gerrard’s reputation at least. 

It may be a costly experiment but just being associated with the former Liverpool No.8 opens a lot of doors and it could be the wildcard Rangers need to make up the ground on a stable celtic outfit. 

What he brings off of the pitch will be a bonus for the fans, what he’ll primarily be judged on is how he can influence results as well as performances.

So what can fans of the Glasgow club expect if Gerrard replaces Murty in the Ibrox hot seat?

What would Gerrard bring to Rangers?

When speaking to BT Sport last April, Gerrard wasn’t shy about revealing the way he wanted his teams to play: “My teams will be physical. Fighting, winning, tackling. Going where it hurts, letting your lungs burns and really digging deep.”

The Liverpool legend acknowledged that to make it at the top level he needed to be “obsessed” and he’s shown an eye for meticulous detail since taking over as the manager of Liverpool’s under-18 side.

In a detailed piece analysing Gerrard’s start to life at the helm, This is Anfieldhighlighted a few tactical tweaks used by the side to showcase his flexibility as a manager.

One clear example of this (Gerrard’s tactical understanding of the game) came in October’s 4-1 win away to Maribor, fielding high defensive line to counter the Slovenians’ long-ball approach.

And this was again shown in November’s 4-0 triumph at Sevilla, when Liverpool began with a high-intensity pressing game before sitting back and playing on the counter in order to frustrate an emotional opponent.”

These aren’t just one-off changes, either. Gerrard has used a variety of different systems this season. He started the campaign switching between a 4-4-2 and a 4-2-3-1 but injuries forced him into using a 3-4-3 shape. It shows he’s not too stubborn to persist with a style if the players he has at his disposal don’t suit it. Many others in his situation just shoehorn players into unfamiliar roles and the team suffer because of it.

Despite his inexperience as a coach, there is a maturity to his thinking.

One thing that stands out when watching his under-18 side is how direct they are when in possession. The likes of Curtis Jones, a player Gerrard built his side around, and Edvard Tagseth are two intelligent players who can pull the strings from central areas, and while a lot of the play goes through the pair of them the Liverpool side look to get the ball wide before putting it into the penalty area.

Countless goals they’ve scored this season have come via that route. The ball is worked out wide, with the full-backs offering the overlap, before it’s put into the box.

However, it’s not aimless crosses being floated in, instead the team look to work the ball into dangerous areas. It’s why Liam Millar and Glen McAuley have scored so many tap-ins.

Rangers don’t have identical players but the framework is there for Gerrard to replicate such a system at Ibrox. Josh Windass can operate as one of the wide midfielders, capable of beating an opponent with pace and skill. Alternatively, the former Accrington Stanley man could do a job as a number ten.

Declan John and James Tavernier play the part of a marauding full-backs perfectly. Ryan Jack and Graham Dorrans make up a functional midfield two but it’ll be interesting to see whether the Gers can make Sean Goss‘ loan move a permanent one.

The former Manchester United youngster could become the puppet master on the pitch for Gerrard. And if serviced properly, Alfredo Morelos is a goal machine capable of firing Rangers to a title challenge.

With the players at his disposal, there’s no reason Gerrard couldn’t hit the ground running if the move up north happens. If he’s properly backed in the market then rivalling celtic could be on the cards next term.

Actually pretty encouraging the piece in the middle about changing tactics to counter your opponents and also not playing players to fit a formation but a formation that suits the players.

3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

We've had a manager who wanted to play fancy football but got quickly found and was too stubborn and arrogant to change. 

Then we had a donkey who didn't know what he was doing but wasn't scared to take a hard line with players (Miller and fish fingers Magoo). 

Then we had Murty who was too nice to get tore into certain players and shit scared to make changes. 

Now we'll have a manager who could have good contacts, won't take any shite from players (allegedly) but has done nothing to earn the job and will most likely be sacked in 6-12 months for a lack of managerial experience. 

We never ever do anything the right way. 

With each and every one greeted with "well he can't do any worse"... 

No way for a club our size to operate. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

8 minutes ago, CoatbridgeBear said:

Alan brazil wit a fat ugly wanker man

Listening to it as well, they all seem to be warning Gerrard away. 

Gordon Strachan, Andy Walker, Alan Brazil, Brendan Rodgers, Davie Provan, Chris Sutton....all been putting the boot in & telling Gerrard what a poisoned chalice it is. 

Anybody see a common denominator here???

3 minutes ago, SpidermansGaffer said:

Gordon Strachan, Andy Walker, Alan Brazil, Brendan Rodgers, Davie Provan, Chris Sutton....all been putting the boot in & telling Gerrard what a poisoned chalice it is. 

Then there’s Martin O’Neill of all people telling him to go for it. 

1 minute ago, SpidermansGaffer said:

Exactly. Having said that Hartson has backed him for the job. Tbh does anyone really think that Gerrard will listen to the opinions of the filth above?

More likely to listen to the Souness's and Frank Lampards.

SpidermansGaffer likes this
4 minutes ago, SpidermansGaffer said:

Funny that eh?

9 minutes ago, jackunion said:

This sorry state has all the hallmarks of the Mcinnes scenario all over again. 

Just as I get my head round the fact this could be a good appointment

Aye, I don't have faith in the cunts either

11 minutes ago, SpidermansGaffer said:

Each day that goes by Gerrard will have more of his taig buddies telling him not to take the job. Another disaster from this board coming up.........

14 minutes ago, SpidermansGaffer said:

There's just as much people down south telling him to take the job Hodgson, o Neil, A Shearer, F Lampard.  Look above at what the muppets that are warning Gerrard has achieved in football against the people that are telling him to go for it.