Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

1 minute ago, Captain Hilts said:

Why would he sign it? The fanny trying to crawl up his arse in the first place was a riddy. 

I don't see any harm in him signing it.  Scott Brown signed my Rangers top no problem at all.  He even put a wee 'FTP' at the end of it.

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerrard for me always has had - and still has - a slight air of detachment about him. As if everything is happening around him, but he is not really part of it - even when he is at the centre of things. There's an aura of reservation about him. This isn't a criticism or eulogising him, it's just an observation. It may come in handy as he makes the transition to manager, then again some might see it as a negative. Either way - its there.

3 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Gerrard for me always has had - and still has - a slight air of detachment about him. As if everything is happening around him, but he is not really part of it - even when he is at the centre of things. There's an aura of reservation about him. This isn't a criticism or eulogising him, it's just an observation. It may come in handy as he makes the transition to manager, then again some might see it as a negative. Either way - its there.

I have literally no idea what you’re talking about :lol: 

I am still very much on the fence over this appointment, as I can see the positives for the club but was desperate for a proven, experienced manager. Getting on board more, daily as no other option.

However, I just did a quick check there and its actually amazing how little top level experience our full time managers have had in their careers before joining us. And for a team who has won a trophy or 2 over the decades, it's not something that has held us back really, has it?

The list is as follows:

William Wilton - 1st managerial job.

Bill Struth - 1st managerial job.

Scot Symon - East Fife & 1 season at Preston.

Davie White - 1yr at Clyde.

Willie Waddell - Kilmarnock.

Jock Wallace - Berwick Rangers.

John Greig - 1st managerial job.

Graeme Souness - 1st managerial job.

Walter Smith - 1st managerial job.

Dick Advocaat - Loads...

Alex McLeish - Motherwell & Hibs.

Paul Le Guen - Rennes & Lyon.

Ally McCoist - 1st managerial job.

Mark Warburton - Brentford.

Pedro Caxinha - Too many to mention. Lol

Thought this might be an interesting addition to the thread. 

4 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

He's like Gatsby.

4 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Gerrard for me always has had - and still has - a slight air of detachment about him. As if everything is happening around him, but he is not really part of it - even when he is at the centre of things. 

Sounds like he might have PTSD.  Probably due to that stumble against Chelsea :lol:

38 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Not according to wiki....founded in a chapel by 4 men....dosent mean a lot to me tbh....when I was young in the 70s plenty of people always maintained that villa was the biggest Catholic team...could be shite as I don't think England think the same as we do up here.

There was a documentary on a sky channel a few years ago about some of the teams that founded the English football league and was about faith and football, as many of those teams were originally church teams or the founders were involved with local churches. One of the clubs mentioned was Aston Villa, if I remember the founder was a Scottish protestant who attended a local Methodist church. I think the programme was based on a book called Thank God for Football by Peter Lupson, details the Christian origins of several English clubs.

I was involved with the Orange Order in England for many years and met many Scousers at various meetings, some were Everton and some were Liverpool but both would say that they were the Protestant club. 

image.png.5fe4ddfeb0065102f393d4e70c7376d9.png

3 minutes ago, Graham Roberts iPhone said:

There was a documentary on a sky channel a few years ago about some of the teams that founded the English football league and was about faith and football, as many of those teams were originally church teams or the founders were involved with local churches. One of the clubs mentioned was Aston Villa, if I remember the founder was a Scottish protestant who attended a local Methodist church. I think the programme was based on a book called Thank God for Football by Peter Lupson, details the Christian origins of several English clubs.

I was involved with the Orange Order in England for many years and met many Scousers at various meetings, some were Everton and some were Liverpool but both would say that they were the Protestant club. 

image.png.5fe4ddfeb0065102f393d4e70c7376d9.png

Fair play, I don't believe it's a big deal down south....probably more of a problem that we up here in Scotland try to ascertain that certain clubs are one or the other when in truth they don't give a fuck??

9 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Weirdo

2 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Fair play, I don't believe it's a big deal down south....probably more of a problem that we up here in Scotland try to ascertain that certain clubs are one or the other when in truth they don't give a fuck??

You're spot on there. I've lived and worked in England since the 80's and football and religion isn't really an issue here. I've been to games all over England including games at Everton and Liverpool and you'll often see supporters from the same team with a Red Hand flag or a tricolour and I've never known it to cause problems.

Just now, writingranger said:

Now I like a good literary reference. Unfortunately Gatsby was all show for the benefit of a woman he could never have and for whom he would take the blame and wind up dead.

I was talking about Gatsby's tendency to watch his parties unfold, rather than actually take part, the Tramalchio section. 

1 minute ago, gsa said:

I was talking about Gatsby's tendency to watch his parties unfold, rather than actually take part, the Tramalchio section. 

I knew you meant his apparent enigma (must be an oxymoron) and agree with you but couldn't help pointing out the irony.

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

As I said, try Luton. 

45% of the place is either Asian or black. 

45%? Must be hard for them being in the minority. Tougher in Scotland where 20% are white and 70% are slightly blue. :lol:

But, yeah, sometimes I think Scots who still live in Scotland should get out a bit more.

I personally can't understand any negativity towards Gerrard. Guardiola came from managing the Barcelona B side and Gerrard has as much experience, skill and respect in the game. You only have to look at the amount of negative spin being pushed by our haters regarding this appointment to know they don't want this to happen and unfortunately some of our support are listening.

43 minutes ago, Wil198 said:

I personally can't understand any negativity towards Gerrard. Guardiola came from managing the Barcelona B side and Gerrard has as much experience, skill and respect in the game. You only have to look at the amount of negative spin being pushed by our haters regarding this appointment to know they don't want this to happen and unfortunately some of our support are listening.

:lol: 

Archived